Author Topic: Corsair Melee Pierce Damage Questions  (Read 6216 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mountainblade

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Corsair Melee Pierce Damage Questions
« on: 24 December 2017, 17:22:36 »
So I am used to the OLD Tq style of more phys damage = more pierce so go all strength. Should I be focusing more on dex? If I ignore blade honing is it safe to go all str? I will likely be using spear/shield to impress monsters with my style.

Please feed my hungry brainpan with your delicious, delicious knowledge. Thank you.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Corsair Melee Pierce Damage Questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 December 2017, 03:11:32 »
hello mountainblade welcome to the new forum.. i see you're playing corsair.. rogue is actually my favorite mastery but oddly enough, defense is my least favorite :/  .. but there's no denying the survivability defense gives.. the safe traditional way is to get calculated strike for LMB and 1/max/1max envenom line.. from defense, all the tanky skills and shield attack skills.. you can still get lethal strike but if you value ease of use, maybe just shield charge as RMB. i actually would not advice spear but rather, just fast attacking weapons.. the reason being, faster attacks mean more shield attack procs.. but if you can still get max attack speed or close to that with a spear, then why not? spear benefits greatly from blade honing and you deal more damage with lethal strike if using a spear rather than a sword. one option is to use throwing knives or bow on secondary to hit with lethal strike however blade honing doesn't work with bows so you have to cast it again when switching back to main weapon.. throwing knives work with blade honing and lethal strike but deals less damage..i like having my dex to at least 400+ endgame, str much higher.. i don't know the new mechanics now on pierce damage or if it changed at all however, i can guarantee its still a safe route

But unfortunately for you, you posted on Christmas season.. and special occasions deserve special builds.. so you have no choice but to take less popular but fun builds:

1) set traps, throw poison gas bomb, then go charging in with shield charge

2) max throwing knives, flurry of knives, the whole envenom line, and anatomy.. yep, be a caster then when they get confused, go charging in with shield charge

3) just throwing knives with no shield charge, stats still str/dex but you have to have flat physical damage from items to boost throwing knives.. tops might be 2 mark of ares and a pendant of immortal rage

4) throwing knives with just enough str to wear Moon Disc.. the rest dex and int.. get flat elemental damage from items like Archimedes cogwheel and/or occult ring with Eitr.. i don't have a link but Eitr is a monster charm from act 5 that gives flat elemental damage.. Moon Disc will boost that.. max armor handling for more item choices

you can choose 1 or make your own ridiculous build.. lol probably not the welcome you're expecting :)
« Last Edit: 25 December 2017, 03:16:36 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 26 December 2017, 13:59:32 »
so i actually tested this.. my tests aren't complete yet but early results show that pierce conversion happens after str bonus modifier.. just the same in TQIT.. i hope i can do more tests and find out when exactly does %physical from skills and items kick in, whether before or after pierce conversion
« Last Edit: 26 December 2017, 14:02:22 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mountainblade

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2017, 05:48:36 »
hello mountainblade welcome to the new forum.. i see you're playing corsair..
You must work at TQIT help support desk.
"this post may be monitored for quality assurance."

Your initial surmisement is correct, I plan on bashing things with a shield to slow and confuse enemies. Looks like they nerfed throwing knives, so 1 points in Posion Gas Bomb for some AoE slow?

Although I suppose now I am required by the binding laws of the Christmas season to pick one of your 4 less popular but fun builds. Rules are rules.

so i actually tested this.. my tests aren't complete yet but early results show that pierce conversion happens after str bonus modifier.. just the same in TQIT.. i hope i can do more tests and find out when exactly does %physical from skills and items kick in, whether before or after pierce conversion

Aha! This is exactly what I was curious about. Back to the lab with you! More testing! I want those results on my desk first thing Monday morning!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2017, 09:08:04 »
lol i was never really registered in the old forums because we didn't have internet connection that time but I've scourged the site thousands of times since the days of poinas, apocalypse80, those dudes doing tests and posting useful infos.. so I'm familiar with some of the names but they're not familiar with me

those builds i posted i was just kidding.. but heh having a little fun won't hurt

i actually think throwing knife has been buffed in AE despite the 10% chance.. 1st because poison and bleed now scales with dex (so SB cuffs is really a good option now), 2nd because elemental damage %bonuses now also boost elemental DoTs (as in the case of magician for example).. and 3rd because the duration now scales with skill level.. that means you won't be hard pressed to wear mostly recharge gears so you won't have to sacrifice important attributes like resists and life/mana steal.. now TQAE actually opened up new knifethrower builds aside from magician and sorcerer, like what i mentioned here the last part of my guide:

http://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=20.0

if i find changes in mechanics, i might post my tests.. but it might take a while before i do more
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 14:53:16 by kja12 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal