Author Topic: Favorite and least favorite acts  (Read 10078 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Favorite and least favorite acts
« Reply #15 on: 23 January 2018, 20:05:15 »
Hey Firebrand,

I'm so glad that there are people besides me appreciate the quality and atmosphere of Act II.. To be honest, you described it much better than I did also..

Now I respectfully disagree on the statements about Act V but then again, just like you said, it is better to have various tastes.. They lead to interesting discussions afterall :)

I sometimes can't express my feelings and ideas due to the English/Second language factor and it discourages longer writings heavily, but if I accidently offend anyone, my apologies..

BTW, I think some of Act IV items are drawn in an exaggerated way like you said.. But what I can't understand is, how come anyone notices this flaw but praises the looks of Act V items.. Especially the swords in merchants' list for example.. It is beyond my comprehension but as I said, I mean no disrespect while saying this.. Maybe you like simpler and less shiny looks... 
« Last Edit: 23 January 2018, 20:07:58 by Hector »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 23 January 2018, 22:37:17 »
Reading through the replies, I suspect that the quality of the fog differs between GPU and 3D driver settings. Therefore experience of fog in different acts will be unique to the person's setup. 3D fog is a specific function of the GPU/driver and is implemented in different ways. For me it's much harder to see through in Act V, and there are many more maps in that act that contain it compared to other acts.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #17 on: 24 January 2018, 00:53:26 »
I started for 1st time into ACT 5, i came into zealand coast.

I must say, the music is something different from previews acts, much more present and active, i enjoy so far the land design, its very actrative and beautiful.

Yhea, some monster models and weapons are different from old mesh, but i think Nordic used new program, tried to make the things more different, but you see , it will get bit time to see the things, due for long time the game didnt had anyhting new ssince IT
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 08 February 2018, 12:55:16 »
For my favourite Act, I'm somewhat torn between Act I and Act III. Act III is great, but Babylon is always too short, and consequently, so is China, while the Mongolian part is actually too long, considering almost nothing is done with it lore wise (the length would have been fine if the monsters and terain were more varied, and there was more lore). I tend to get snow blindness from the massive amounts of bloom on the mountain passes too: it's fun to play but slightly uncomfortable for my eyes.

Act I always feels too short, and whether it's Normal, Epic, or Legendary; you're always working towards something in Act I, so I always feel like I'm missing out on the actual Act. However, having travelled and worked in Greece as an archeaology student, I have to admit the atmosphere and landscape are just sóóó amazingly well done. Because of that alone, Act I wins by giving me home sickness.

My least favorite act is definitely is act 2, i get tired of seeing the same yellow terrain for hours,  the areas need a lot of exploration because although its the shortest act, the areas are not connected to each other and if you don't know the game well, you will get lost and ask your self what's next. When you reach thebes you can take 2 different routs in order to go to giza and unlock the main quest, same goes for fayum desert, you will have to find the scorpos king and then go the other way around for the main quest. The telkine quest doesn't help either, if by chance you discover the telkine tomb first, it might let you wonder what's the use of the other caves in the area (there's no use, you can either farm them or let them be). The mobs in act 2 are also boring, the fire bugs are annoying, the spectrals too. And the undead are basically the same ones from act 1, not to mention that as an act its probably the easiest. When you first get to rhakotis you would expect a higher level of difficulty, but that's not the case, and as you gradually proceed with the main quest, you realize that it actually gets easier, because most mobs in act 2 are weak, except for the reptilians generally, and the spectrals in legendary only (high damage, pierce if im not mistaken). I cant take the yellow terrain, its not for me.

This. It's not just the sand, the sheer amount of large useless boring caves always gets to me. Act II also has a lot of mobs that do little damage, but can also tank it like a piece of marble. I hate going through Act II with a melee toon that just has to mindlessly bash these generic slime things and wyrms untill no end. Act II also has none of the vistas Act I, Act III, and even Act IV have.

The voice acting is annoying too. In Act I and Act III the accents are fitting and appropriate, but in Act II they sound like really bad racial stereotyping. Like, there are also a lot of crooked walking and/or corrupt NPC's in Act II, with matching voice acting, whereas in Acts I and III characters tend to be honest and holding up among the monster onslaught.

All in all, Act II might be the shortest, but definitely feels like the longest Act, and I've always liked it the least.

My least favorite is much less of a question, I think it's always been Act IV. Don't get me wrong, the atmosphere is pretty greatly done, usually (I particularly like the eerie Tower of Judgement), but something about the whole act just makes me want to get out of there as quickly as it's possible. I could never really explain why that is, but somehow the whole act has a rather oppressive feel, I think.
Act 4 is my favourite, I like the darkness of Hades and Elysium as a whole and many of the monsters designs.

Any gaming community is always split up over this. Half of them likes "dark and gritty" the other half doesn't. The problem is that there's no real inbetween, so any chapter in that style will have half the community absolutely loving it, and the other hating it.

Though I value Titan Quest mainly as a series that shows you can make a colourfull yet exciting game, in a genre that is dominated by the "dark and gritty", I can usually appreciate both seperately, an wouldn't have minded some dark passages in Titan Quest (e.g. Wusao). What bothers me is that even the light parts of Act IV, like Medea's Grove and Elysium, feel very oppressive, like Firebrand stated. Act IV could have been a lot more balanced is the jungle and Elysian episodes would have broken the monotonous Darkness.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal