Author Topic: Grim Dawn in PC Gamers Best RPGs for PC list  (Read 4555 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Grim Dawn in PC Gamers Best RPGs for PC list
« on: 26 July 2018, 07:51:13 »
https://www.pcgamer.com/best-rpgs-of-all-time/

Pretty big achievement for a small team methinks.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Grim Dawn in PC Gamers Best RPGs for PC list
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2018, 13:58:39 »
Thanks for the heads-up, MedeaFleecestealer.

Wow! That’s some high praise for Grim Dawn, and the Expansion Pack Forgotten Gods is not even out yet. 8)

Whenever there's a video game charts there're always points of contention, you know. ^^ For instance when the game you love is not listed in the charts. Still this ranking is quite decent as a whole.

However PC Gamer's definition of RPG is in the very broad sense, I mean in the charts you can actually  find a lot of genres:

# true RPGs (Pillars of Eternity, Planescape Torment, Arcanum…)
# J-RPGs (Final Fantasy XII)
# Hack’n’Slash (Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, DIablo III)
# Hybrid First Person Shooters (Deus Ex, System Shock 2)

So in PC Gamer's view, from the moment characters are customizable it qualifies as an RPG it seems. That’s a bit of a stretch. :P

Titan Quest Anniversary didn’t cut it for some unfathomable reason. /o\

Diablo 2 didn’t make it either. You know I played this game a lot. But this year I re-installed but was totally put off by the graphics and the lackluster animations, I used to play this game every year or so. D2 graphics didn't age well. So my point is: those recent rumors about a Diablo 2 Remake might be true…,

Mass Effect 2

Suprisingly PC Gamer only listed Mass Effect 2 and didn’t include ME1 and ME3. This is debatable but I do think the Mass Effect Trilogy should be taken as a whole. So for those who never tried it:

When you play Commander Shepard (male or female) you’re are totally immersed in this unique Sci-Fi Universe. The Story is gripping and the Team Members you gather along the way are unforgettable. Now granted ME1 (2008) has this old-school rpg feel to it (the dreaded inventory management and the Mako Trips) that can turn off casual gamers. BUT the trilogy is worth it because a lot of things you do or say in ME1 have an impact on ME2, and the same goes for ME3. So basically the dedicated player will play the Mass Effect Trilogy with the same save from Mass Effect 1 to 2 and 3. Believe me when doing a playthrough like that, you get a an unrivaled sense of accomplishment.

Note 1: technically you can play ME2 and ME3 without a previous save, but you would missing some memorable content.

Note 2: The Mass Effect 3 ending was a letdown. I remember Bioware even had to change the ending with a friggin' DLC to clarify a few things. A frigging (free) Ending DLC. :o But even after the Ending DLC the Ending was still disappointing.

However it is somewhat unfair when so many people on the Net judge Mass Effect 3, or even the whole Trilogy by the ending exclusively. I mean it's not even 3% of the game(s).

« Last Edit: 28 July 2018, 14:12:37 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2018, 14:16:10 »
I agree.  Practically every game in existence could be called an RPG since whatever you're doing you're taking on that role, be it fighting foes, building town/cities, sailing on the 7 seas delivering goods to various places, etc. 

Still we take what we can get and it's great that GD got included considering the big names that are also there.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline borgrel

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
« Reply #3 on: 12 August 2018, 23:50:15 »
any list of best rpgs of all time that doesnt include diablo 2 is obviously invalid. i am pretty sure that in terms of man hours spent being played diablo 2 is up there with quake, unassailable on their thrones

as for mass effect, i loved ME1, but ME2 was a let down, it wasn't even an RPG, same as diablo 3 you can maybe call it an adventure game or an arcade game if your feeling generous but things like inventory management that 'put casual players off' is an absolutely fundamental part of it being an RPG

if there are no meaningful decisions in the game, its not an RPG

and if there is no user controllable character development it is an interactive movie, not an RPG

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2018, 07:20:26 »
Hi borgrel, welcome to the forum.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline borgrel