Author Topic: Runic Elemental Shotgun  (Read 51671 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Runic Elemental Shotgun
« Reply #30 on: 22 April 2018, 21:00:38 »
Indeed, I'm playing on very fast. I have an odd case of having both slow reactions and chronic impatience... Not exactly the best combination, but I'm managing somehow.

As for the equipment, here's a full list:

Primary weapon set: Chakram of the Sun, Chakram of the Sun
Secondary weapon set: Arcadion Judgement, Golden Shield of Pelaron
Head: Crown of Dockma'Ar
Torso: Falcon Cape
Arms: Sage's Winding of the Gryphon with Epic Primal Magma (fire damage completion bonus)
Feet: Völva's Hardened Wraps
Rings: Star Stone, Seal of Hephaestus
Amulet: Polaris
Artifact: Tongue of Flame (poison resistance completion bonus)

This has been quite unchanged for a while. Only now have a few contestants emerged.
One is Gambanteinn, which seemed overall perfect. On average a pretty hefty +50% bonus to elemental damages, +2 to rune, recharge reduction. Overall it turned out to be way inferior to Tongue of Flame, ironically; the more modest bonus to elemental damages is easily offset by the percentile bonus to intelligence, decent flat burn damage, and increased utility (poison resistance, increased energy).
Now, however, one of my Fafnir runs rewarded me with a Corselet of Freyja. That looks... amazing. Like Battlemage Robe on steroids. It provides some pierce resistance, which has been one of the few aspects in which I found this character lacking (it is true that Energy Armor protects against pierce, but having -100% resistance to it seems a bad choice overall), bumps poison resistance nearly to maximum, comes with an elemental damage bonus, immense defensive ability bonus, and bonus to all skills. Sadly, I'd need to get another +1 to at least rune before equipping it, though, and would lose a little movement and casting speed (attack speed is maxed even without Falcon Cape's bonus). Oh well, I'll try to see what else I find.

To be fair, the way the fight against Fafnir is set up really favors my character. I've mostly been concentrating on dishing out damage as fast as I could, and defenses were secondary. Fafnir starts off lying on the ground, and it takes him a while to stand up; it's not a long window of opporunity to attack him without retaliation, but as you can see, it proves just enough.

Seal of Fate with maxed Aftershock ruins his resistances. Then I pop an Eruption and a Volcanic Orb, and get in close; by that time the Seal of Fate just explodes, and I Thunder Strike. Polaris gives a 20% chance of greatly reduced resistances - something that is very likely to go off with fourteen projectiles. From there he drops like a fly.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #31 on: 22 April 2018, 23:32:24 »
A quick Fafnir run with your setup !
What about late act 5 and especially Surtr with your stonespeaker, do you encounter fire resistances  ?

In that case, Winds of Asphodele (paired with one Chakram of the sun) would be useful with a great
>>50 Reduced Resistances for 3.0 Seconds
You lose the bonus weapon set but the 50 RR are really nice. Therefore you can replace Polaris with a better one with high resistances.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #32 on: 22 April 2018, 23:50:19 »
or just equip it in secondary.. or throwing weapon with cold damage in secondary

anyway.. thnx Firebrand for the simple reason that i liked your video enough i was inspired to play and fight Fafnir.. xmax x3 because it's my default.. i didn't find any new tricks.. maddened god died in seconds and Fafnir doesn't want to play with monster lure.. took me a while but i didn't die although i almost almost almost did.. it was very fun I'll post it as soon as i can hopefully tomorrow.. and to top it all off, i got ring of taranis wooohooo
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 24 April 2018, 02:40:50 »
Well, thank you; never expected to have this effect on anyone.

I haven't progressed past Fafnir yet, but I can imagine the fire giants causing trouble (although they didn't on Normal or Epic). I don't have Winds of Asphodel, though it does look nifty. The problem with equipping it in the secondary slot is that the secondary weapon set is reserved for the energy reduction equipment for casting my maxed Energy Armor.

However, recently I found a Touch of Nyx. It needs some additional investment of dexterity, but I have eight unused attribute points anyway; and while the resistance reduction it gives is percetile, unlike Winds of Asphodel, I'm not sure Aspohdel's is actually flat (I remember your resistance reduction thread, botebote). It gives a massive energy cost reduction, and has a number of similar advantages. Finding a second one would be ideal, but I guess that one with Golden Shield of Pelaron is passable until then.

I'd say it's just as good.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 24 April 2018, 08:00:15 »
i also don't have winds of asphodel but just looking at tq-db, it looks to be flat.. it's just like monkey kings trickery but with much higher RR value which according to apocalypse80 is absolute.. what an OP weapon that is.. here's the thing though, those fire giants including Surtr, do they have fire resist or fire absorption? i don't know that yet.. if it's fire resist, RR would work, if it's absorption, it won't.. your touch of nyx though has flat frostburn damage.. it's DoT but elemental DoT now scales with %elemental.. rune weapon tree also deals mix elemental and those fire giants and maybe Surtr should be susceptible to cold.. so it might be enough
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 08 July 2018, 02:54:32 »
Triple the trouble, triple the fun!

I've been neglecting the game for a good while, and came back to farm Fafnir some more. Some runs and some utterly unremarkable drops later, I've decided to fall back on desperate measures for desperate times disastrous loot.

I make no pretenses; I'd probably have used the Defiler for increased drops at this point. Even Fafnir drops uniques very rarely, and even then they're usually duplicates of what I already have, despite the fact that I most probably don't own the majority of Act V uniques (most of what he drops is Act IV gear). But since that option is not available, for better or for worse, as far as I'm aware, I did the second best thing I possibly could.

I was reluctant. As the previous video should demonstrate, one Fafnir is quite okay - I can rush it and remove the majority of its health before it stands up, and then finish it off. But what about three? That could be a problem.

Find out now!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: 08 July 2018, 03:14:29 »
nice.. only thing i don't approve of is using the defiler for increased drop chance but heh that depends on the player  :P

I've thought recently trying my long range trick on Fafnir and see how it reacts  https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=213.msg5429#new

i can't remember the range of volcanic orb but can you throw it very far to the edge of your screen just like in my vid?

edit: regarding ragnarok items, i actually think just going through the game with different characters gives more drops than farming bosses over and over again.. but i have no solid proof of this.. and i think it depends if you're looking for a particular item
« Last Edit: 08 July 2018, 03:40:59 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: 08 July 2018, 11:40:04 »
tried the long range trick with my sorcerer.. Fafnir wakes up once hit but it's still doable by luring him close to the walls, then i hide behind the walls and cast squall and lightning bolt.. Fafnir can't see me but i can attack with lightning bolt.. that eliminates volcanic orb though :( .. it takes very long but it's also very safe it feels like cheating.. also, my sorcerer isn't properly specced for that because my attributes are divided between int and dex.. i imagine it will be much faster for my tsunderer.. also probably faster for a druid

i noticed you're taking too much damage from those wasps it's even squishier than my casters.. man you must have terrible resists  :))
don't know what damage they do
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: 08 July 2018, 17:31:13 »
I generally don't like using things like the Defiler as well, but the drop rates in Act V do seem abysmal... And I'm mildly frustrated by the fact that due to a HDD failure I lost all my progress in Titan Quest a few years ago, when I had most of the items, in fact (although, as one might suspect, that was before Ragnarök or Anniversary Edition).

New characters having better (or at least different) drops would be a pretty interesting approach, actually. I'll try with other characters and see what happens.

Volcanic Orb has pretty much unlimited range. You can always throw it at the very edge of the screen, even if you're zoomed out as much as possible. You need line of sight, though, so it's less suitable for gimmicks like that.

That depends on what you consider terrible, actually. The elemental resistances are all maxed, but the rest are less impressive. Poison resistance is positive, but low; I think that vitality and bleeding are negative, but near to zero. Pierce is -100%, which is probably the most pressing issue.

Seriously, though, between the wasps and the water spirits, Ragnarök has given us the peskiest enemies. I don't know what damage type the wasps deal, but I think it has to be multiple - they destroy Energy Armor, so they must deal at least one from physical, pierce, and bleeding, as well as something that goes through the armor (most likely poison). But their damage is less of the problem, it's more annoying how you just can't hit them at all. (Though they seem to have no innate dodge, they're just hard to pin down with your mouse cursor.)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: 08 July 2018, 18:44:55 »
aye.. wasps are very hard to see and target.. i suspected as well that they deal multiple types of damage

the water spirits, I'm starting to get around them.. fire is very weak against them.. they have high cold resist/absorption.. they are weak against lighting and EBD.. they have high chance to avoid projectiles, melee works better against them.. they can be stunned even for just a few seconds helps because it prevents them from running away.. there is a DoT that works well against them, i suspect it's bleed
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Flix

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: 11 July 2018, 16:34:36 »
Wonderful write-up.  I was trying to figure out what to pair with Rune mastery.  Stonespeaker is currently level 9 on the Megara coast and I'm having a blast.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #41 on: 18 December 2018, 10:26:58 »
aye.. wasps are very hard to see and target.. i suspected as well that they deal multiple types of damage

the water spirits, I'm starting to get around them.. fire is very weak against them.. they have high cold resist/absorption.. they are weak against lighting and EBD.. they have high chance to avoid projectiles, melee works better against them.. they can be stunned even for just a few seconds helps because it prevents them from running away.. there is a DoT that works well against them, i suspect it's bleed
No, they have not high Chance to avoid Projectiles. They just have ability " impaired enemies " when any enemies be hit by them.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline selkceh

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +10
« Reply #42 on: 01 May 2019, 08:23:56 »
This is a fantastic guide.

I know it has been a while but could you please post a build calculator at high level? Just because in your post you don't say much about the core dweler but i see it in the videos.

Thanks!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline lordthai

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #43 on: 12 May 2019, 18:57:06 »
can somebody comfirm for me that rune: explode work with ternion attack/ psi touch or not?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: 14 May 2019, 20:57:47 »
Sorry for the late answer; haven't been around too much lately. Screenshots in spoilers, and then comments below.

Spoiler for Hiden:

This is at level 83, with +5 to all Earth skills and +4 to all Rune skills and some points left over (before I undid some allocations at the mystic to free up enough points to try the new skills).
I put only one point in the Core Dweller and all the appropriate synergies, and then only started levelling them further when I really had nothing else to do with my skill points anymore. Generally, there's plenty to do with them: Earth Enchantment and Brimstone, Volcanic Orb and all synergies, Eruption, Volativity, Rune Weapon and all synergies, Runeword: Burn and Runeword: Explode are the ones I'd say I'd give priority to max. Not necessarily in this order, though. I think Energy Armor is definitely worth maxing but only as you're picking up appropriate backup energy cost reduction equipment that lets you cast it. If you want to go down the dual-wielding route, Reckless Offense also; if you want a shield, you might want to try Runeword: Absorb instead. I never did that, I don't know how good it is. I think that at least one point in Thunder Strike and its synergy is a must, but I don't recall how exactly it scales. Seal of Fate is happy with just one point, but its synergy increases the resistance reduction, which is great. Naturally Runeword: Feather is a priority, but I think this one requires some planning.

On that note, Runeword: Feather and Transmutation could work together in an interesting way, but you do need to think and plan ahead. That is, you really don't need a lot of strength for this character. With maxed Runeword: Feather, Chakram of the Sun asks for about 120 strength, but since it also grants +10% strength (sadly not intellect), you can cheat the system by only increasing it up to 100, then equipping something that grants a strength bonus, then equip the two Chakrams, and using their total +20% strength to keep it at 120 and keep them equipped. The issue is that since throwing weapons require strength to use, earlier on you might feel forced to invest points into Runeword: Feather early so you can actually use throwing weapons, and right now I'm thinking that it might not be the best course of action.

You have Runeword: Feather from level two, but Transmutation is only available at the end of the tree. So if you pump intellect early, you need to invest into Runeword: Feather more heavily, making you comparatively worse, and since Transmutation is not available yet, your weapon damage is low. I think that the right course of action is pumping strength at first until you hit the limit of around 100, and trying to get to the top of the Rune tree while at it. You're attacking with thrown weapons, physical damage, and you have good strength. When you hit 100 strength and start pumping intellect, you also start dropping points into Transmutation as your intellect outstrips your strength. Dexterity also factors in. I do need to come up with a proper development plan here, but it could be interesting.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal