Author Topic: Runic Elemental Shotgun  (Read 51667 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Darkenlord

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Runic Elemental Shotgun
« Reply #15 on: 27 January 2018, 23:44:00 »
Hey, I am interested in trying this build. How did you spend your att? I mean, you said you placed the required str and dex for your gear and then int, but did you put anything on Helth or Mana?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 28 January 2018, 03:31:24 »
Personally, I messed up this character's stat distribution a little, but that only means you can do better.

You need about 385 dexterity to equip your weapons in the end-game. (The exact number varies with your weapon of choice, but if you go Stonespeaker I see no reason not to use Chakram of the Sun - two of it, even.) As for strength, with maxed Runeword: Feather about 100 should be enough. Those should be your target numbers for the endgame. As long as you are under those, I'd put only enough points into strength or dexterity to be able to equip the weapons you want, and the rest to intelligence. When you're early in the game and don't have Runeword: Feather maxed, you might feel tempted to put too much points into strength (it's what I ended up doing), but you're probably better off finding equipment with requirement reduction. It's up to you, anyway.

All the other points went to intelligence. I didn't put any into health or energy. I could see justifications for both, but for the most part, the combination of Energy Armor and resistances should serve you well enough. And of course the insane DPS that makes you more than capable of crushing most enemies before they could scratch you. Not always, though, and it can be a bit intense at times. It makes you something of a glass cannon, but personally I think it's worth it. As long as you don't expect to be able to tank them, you should be fine.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 01 April 2018, 20:09:12 »
It's been a while since the last update.

Thing is, I've become interested in a lot of other characters (interestingly, almost all of them involved Rune... Rune and Earth are probably my favorite masteries right now), but my Dragon Hunter had trouble farming Normal Typhon for some better throwing weapons. So I thought hey, maybe it sounds a bit unfair, but couldn't I farm Normal Typhon with my Stonespeaker? I sure could. (As well as Surtr, because I spawn at the last point on Normal, and I don't want to change that, so I kill Surtr, teleport to Olympus and kill Typhon, too. Already found a few interesting new Ragnarök items this way.)

Anyway, after I started doing that, I got inspiration to finally finish Act IV Legendary. On one hand, I died a lot, usually to Melinoe (seriously, those things are far worse than Machae; hit just as hard but are much harder to hit); on the other, there are quite a few personal achievements for me here. I managed to kill both the Bloated One (the giant spider guarding the Mirror of Psyche) and Cerberus without dying once (and without equipping any item to deal with them specifically), though I cheated a bit at the latter - lobbed a Volcanic Orb at him straight from the entrance, put down an Eruption, started swarming Rune Weapon and Thunder Strike at him and simply switched Stone Form on when I knew I couldn't take it anymore without dying.

I met an Epiales hero. I didn't know those existed; sadly I have no screenshot and I don't remember the name. Interestingly, it wasn't quite as deadly as the Kalygotes (the only way for me to survive their area poison attack is Stone Form - fortunately, due to my huge recharge reduction, the recharge time is shorter than the duration, so energy is the only limiting factor - and I can drink energy potions while in Stone Form for whatever reason, so go figure). It had the most massive slowdown effect I've ever seen in the game, however, literally slowed my character to a crawl, even on the highest speed option.

Hades went down quicker than I've ever managed it. It's true, I managed to get him to focus on my Core Dweller, and the Seal of Fate (with fully maxed Aftershock) as well as Polaris's resistance reduction made short work of him.

I'm tempted to record a video of destroying Hades, but I never really tried farming Hades at all - he's too far even from the last rebirth fountain, let alone the portal (and I'd need to use the portal as I've already gone on to Act V). I guess I'll give the Stonespeaker a bit of rest again - unlike Act IV, I'm quite fond of Act V, so I have no qualms putting that off for now. I suppose I'll do a little farming, maybe some more Normal Surtr and Typhon as well as Legendary Typhon. Combined, so it doesn't get boring. (Okay, farming always does.)

Edit: Duh, thinking back, Runic Mines might have been the solution against the Melinoe... Oh well, maybe I'll try it someday. Why do I always think of these when it's too late?

More edit: I noticed that I had an Arcadion Judgement (with -24% energy cost, no less) sitting in my vault, so I figured I'd try equipping that with Golden Shield of Pelaron in the secondary slot for Energy Armor. Poof, maxed Energy Armor for around 500-600 energy. Not even a hassle to reapply anymore.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 23:01:45 by Firebrand »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #18 on: 02 April 2018, 00:21:31 »
though I cheated a bit at the latter - lobbed a Volcanic Orb at him straight from the entrance, put down an Eruption, started swarming Rune Weapon and Thunder Strike at him and simply switched Stone Form on when I knew I couldn't take it anymore without dying.
where's the cheat there?
max energy armor with guardian stones is the solution to melinoes i think.. W,  cast,  W
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #19 on: 02 April 2018, 01:30:19 »
In the particular case of Hades runs with a runemaster, i would try to have +4 skills on rune mastery (maybe with switching weapon) , so that energy armor gives a 6900 physical damage absorption. Sure, the price is the high 3500 energy cost. Before the fight, having 1 or 2 seals of the high priest (a common blue ring with -30% energy cost) in inventory would make the trick. Since Hades' spells are roughly 50% vitality, 50% physical; a high energy armor would be a good help, and it's not too much difficult having near maxed vitality res.

How does the core dweller stand in legendary ? With a plug-and-play lvl 40 toon, i made some tests and the core dweller is terrible in normal, even when maxing all his abilities.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 02 April 2018, 05:19:16 »
I guess it feels a little bit cheap to fight Cerberus in the doorway, but I guess it's not actually cheating.

As for the Melinoes, I agree about max Energy Armor, but unfortunately since I have -100% pierce resistance, even the nearly 7000 hit points don't last as long as I'd like them to. Guardian Stones is a bit limited by its huge cooldown, but otherwise I agree.

Tauceti, thanks for the suggestion; I'm actually running around with +4 to Rune (Falcon Cape, Crown of Dockma'Ar, Völva's Foot Wraps) and +5 to Earth (Crown of Dockma'Ar and two Chakrams of the Sun). While I switch weapons for casting Energy Armor, none of the bonus to Rune comes from weapons, so it's fine; and with my equipment, switching to secondary (Arcadion Judgement and Golden Shield of Pelaron) lets me cast that maximum level Energy Armor for a measly 600 energy, which I personally find satisfying. Come to think of it, I think it's what helped me take down Hades so quickly, too. Ironically, his minions, most notably the Melinoe but the Machae as well, take it down much faster than he does.

I'd say the Core Dweller is pretty good in legendary. Don't forget that the Energy Armor I don't leave home without applies to it, too, and with it, it can withstand quite the punishment. Not when a pack of Machae or, again, Melinoe swoop down on it, but usually it doesn't need to. If the enemies are focusing on the Core Dweller, it's doing its job and giving you the time to completely destroy everything in sight; and if they don't then, well, things aren't good for you, but the Core Dweller isn't going to die, either. To be honest, I haven't been counting, but I think that throughout entire Legendary Act IV, I think I could count on one hand how many times the Core Dweller died (excluding the main character dying, because that'd require a few more hands). And that's only with one point invested in each of its skills (admittedly with the +5 to Earth from equipment). At the end of the act, however (around the end of Elysium) I decided to put a few more skill points into the base skill and Metamorphosis because I was a bit overleveled and didn't really know what to do with my skill points anymore.

Edit: Forgot to say. I died a lot with this character, but I think it's not the character's fault. I'm usually a rather reckless and hasty player, and as a result never make any pretenses of trying to play without dying. In fact, it was only recently, in Legendary Act IV that I figured out that I could use Stone Form basically indefinitely; when I did, I stopped dying except for a select few cases. I'm sure that with better playing, the number of deaths could probably be minimized, though probably not eliminated; my Stonespeaker is a glass cannon, after all.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2018, 05:35:30 by Firebrand »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: 02 April 2018, 21:40:24 »
I didn't understand that you were already at ultimate level of energy armor, when i saw 600 armor cost, i thought it was the 8th lvl cost of the skill. My bad. So forget my comment  ;D

To be honest, I haven't been counting, but I think that throughout entire Legendary Act IV, I think I could count on one hand how many times the Core Dweller died (excluding the main character dying, because that'd require a few more hands). And that's only with one point invested in each of its skills (admittedly with the +5 to Earth from equipment).

If the core dweller can survive in legendary with only 6 point in each skill, thats sounds good for a stonespeaker in Xmax and a pet with its skills maxed. That seems doable.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 03 April 2018, 14:10:43 »
How does the core dweller stand in legendary ? With a plug-and-play lvl 40 toon, i made some tests and the core dweller is terrible in normal, even when maxing all his abilities.

About The Core Dweller, the higher the Difficulty the more durable it gets (more HP and more Resists). Back in the Immortal Throne days you could easily top +10.000 HP for the Core Dweller in Legendary (not counting + Skills, Pet items,...)

The only Bosses that can really put him down are:

- The Minotaur Lord (Act I),
- The Firebull (Act III),
- Barmanu: because of his Ice Storm (Act III),
- The Grey Sisters: beware of their Red Whirlwind (Act IV),

Especially the Grey Sisters, they will literally slaughter your Dweller if you let him stand into their Red Whirlwind: that's because it's Lightning Damage, thanks to Vio for the explanation ^^. And you’ll notice that any monster that deals Lightning -and Cold Damage too- is a major threat to your Core Dweller, take them down ASAP.

Note: I’m still single class (Rune) an need to make up my mind for a secondary (I’ll try my best not to choose Earth, I swear ;D). so I don’t know yet how a Dweller fares in Act V Ragnarök.

If the core dweller can survive in legendary with only 6 point in each skill, thats sounds good for a stonespeaker in Xmax and a pet with its skills maxed. That seems doable.

From experience, only 6 Skill Points in each Skills  won't cut it, I'm afraid. Especially in Legendary, and I bet Ragnarök is even more brutal for Pets :P The following skills should be cranked up if you want the Dweller to tank reliably: Main Skill, Inner Fire, Metamorphosis.

Edit: now if you only use the Core Dweller for utility (That is: a build not heavy on Pets) then I undertand you don't really need to max all his skills.
« Last Edit: 03 April 2018, 14:34:46 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2018, 02:44:53 »
Note: I’m still single class (Rune) an need to make up my mind for a secondary (I’ll try my best not to choose Earth, I swear ;D). so I don’t know yet how a Dweller fares in Act V Ragnarök.
i have a suggestion but i won't suggest a mastery.. theorycraft for each class involving rune.. from your theorycrafts, identify the worst.. that is the class you take.. oh man here i go again  ;D
Spoiler for Hiden:
but really, in a way, it will feel like you're a veteran new player so it will be fun
« Last Edit: 04 April 2018, 02:47:19 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 05 April 2018, 21:11:31 »
From experience, only 6 Skill Points in each Skills  won't cut it, I'm afraid. Especially in Legendary, and I bet Ragnarök is even more brutal for Pets :P The following skills should be cranked up if you want the Dweller to tank reliably: Main Skill, Inner Fire, Metamorphosis.

Thanks CrocMagnum for tips, especially difficult bosses for the core dweller.

I can confirm that Ragnarok is brutal for pets. I finished the game with a ritualist, pets could handle till the very end but it was slow progress and from time to time i had to respawn one of them. However i was playing with good pet gear. Then i tried the last waypoint of act 5-legendary  with Xmax: it was terrific for pets. Finally I couldn't achieve my way to Surtr. Not sure that the Core dweller would stand in the very last waypoints. Hope that Firebrand, you or any earth-lover will tell us the truth about that  ;)

« Last Edit: 05 April 2018, 21:13:52 by Tauceti »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: 06 April 2018, 03:56:52 »
The Core Dweller might not hold up in Legendary by itself, but at least for this character, that's not its job, anyway.

Pets have always been something of an afterthought for most of my characters, and this time is not any different. I'm not running a pet build, and the Core Dweller doesn't need to destroy things on its own, nor to survive an enemy onslaught for very long. My character's capable of laying waste to pretty much anything in a rather short span of time, and the Core Dweller is there to ensure I'm given that time by redirecting some of the attackers to itself. It usually doesn't die while doing that (for which a maxed Energy Armor is also responsible, I'm sure), so it works for me. It doesn't get attacked for too long because I usually get to kill its attackers soon enough.

That said, I haven't started Act V yet, I keep getting distracted.

So yes, your mileage might vary, especially if you're thinking in terms of a summoner character.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 06 April 2018, 06:12:39 »
Pets have always been something of an afterthought for most of my characters, and this time is not any different. I'm not running a pet build, and the Core Dweller doesn't need to destroy things on its own, nor to survive an enemy onslaught for very long. My character's capable of laying waste to pretty much anything in a rather short span of time, and the Core Dweller is there to ensure I'm given that time by redirecting some of the attackers to itself.
+1

i like

that's how it should be :)

Spoiler for Hiden:
the last part of act 5 is full of fire elementals though hmm
« Last Edit: 06 April 2018, 06:19:04 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 21 April 2018, 16:24:28 »
Fafnir time!

I was hardly surprised when I actually found Fafnir in Fafnir's Cave on Legendary. That's how far I went so far; it's an amazing farming spot, something that Act V sorely needed (Surtr himself is pretty good once you've finished the chapter, but his drops seemed rather lackluster on Normal and Epic, and while I unlocked Primrose's Passage, hardly anything seems to drop there that's not an Easter egg).

He seems the most dangerous bonus boss so far, but I feel that it might be so due to unfamiliarity and technical difficulties. Namely, his hitbox is so large that I often end up shooting at him even when I'm trying to step aside. I don't know what damage type his red-black maelstrom attack deals. I have Energy Armor for physical, pierce and bleeding, and have otherwise decent-to-great resistances all around, except for poison (though that is also positive), yet I die from just merely touching it so quickly that usually I don't even have the time to activate Stone Form. I doubt it's poison, as that is usually color-coded for our convenience. Is it life leech, maybe? That sounds reasonable to me.

I figured that the best strategy, ironically, is to simply rush him head-on after putting a Seal of Fate under him. His bites are just as lethal, but I can use Stone Form properly, and after it ends, Thunder Strike with yet another Stone Form. Usually I don't need more than two or three cycles (though I also soften him up and charge my Rune Weapon as he stands up). And still die pretty often, but oh well. I'm sure it'll get better with practice.

Once he dropped a ring (it wasn't in his orb - which is, by the way, named Majestic Chest for some reason - but he dropped it on dying), called Andvaranaut. Aside from pretty odd effects, it has a +50% experience - can you imagine equipping two of those and a Sacrificial Necklace for quests? Sounds crazy. I guess I know what I'll do for the rest of my characters.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 21 April 2018, 22:23:40 »
All right, I've figured out how to beat Fafnir reliably (that is, without dying).

A few remarks about the recording:
- I open and close the Quest Log window a few times when I start the game. It's out of habit; when I start a game, it's always flashing, so I got used to opening and closing it so it doesn't. In Act V, I usually need to open it a few more times for it to stop. That's why, in case you were wondering.
- Yes, I took the time to kill the wasps. They're annoying.
- Yes, I've levelled up to level 82. I've been playing this character way too much, I know.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 21 April 2018, 23:20:43 »
wow.. is it set to very fast? i only play on fast.. what those you're wearing? crown of dokmaar, 2 chakram of the sun, volva's boots.. what are the others? i remember on my sorcerer spell breaker made it easy because he couldn't cast his killer spells.. but it wasn't that fast.. i remember it wasn't easy in xmax but that is to be expected.. I've yet to face him on my other characters.. I can't rely on just spell breaker.. I have to find good tricks against him.. your vids are cool to watch you should post more ;)
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 23:22:40 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal