Author Topic: Hunting/Rune Archer Build?  (Read 108 times)

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
Hunting/Rune Archer Build?
« on: 17 February 2018, 14:05:08 »
Hello Guys. After 10 or so years when I was playing in Gaming club I now gfound about TQAE+Ragnarok and got them in my Steam account.

I see there are some balance changes plus I dont really remember or ever known alot about the games mechanics. Im wondering what Archer build you can suggest for me. Back in TQIT Hunting/Dream and Hunting/ Rogue were good options for an archer. Honestly Im considering to try Hunting/Rune. I never played Rune mastery before. From my initial research I see people prefer throwing weapons but can it work well for an archer build? I used to have Brigand and Haruspex anyway and if they are going to be the same but somewhat worse than I remember I better try smth else.

I know in this game everything should work but Im pretty bad at games like that  and I have no gear so I need a build that will make it somewhat easier for me. Thats why Im asking if Dragon Hunter can be a good Archer or not? Thanks.

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Hunting/Rune Archer Build?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 14:08:32 »
Welcome :)
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 14:15:53 »
Thanks

Offline Cleglaw

• TQ Club Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 15:00:21 »
It definitely works for an an archer build.  The one advantage that bows have over throwing weapons is considerably more range. Throwing weapons are a heck of a lot faster.  Marksmanship works with both.

Welcome to the forum.
The last dying words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian
"I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct."

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2018, 16:43:47 »
It definitely works for an an archer build.  The one advantage that bows have over throwing weapons is considerably more range. Throwing weapons are a heck of a lot faster.  Marksmanship works with both.

Welcome to the forum.
You just destroyed me there  ;D. I saw all those throwing weapons being added but  I never cared to actually read the whole descripion of Marksmanship that says: "allows you to fire and throw". While Wood Lore now says:"bow spear or thrown objects". Until now I havent realised they were addad to these skills. Well this means the build is 95% the same its a choice between range - bow; survivability - shield plus throwing weapon; dps - duel wielding throwing weapons. These are some skill points that could be reajusted in acordance really. Despite I realise how noob I am. This makes me really happy  ;D. /there is npo reson not to try the Dragin Huner now. Thanks.

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Club Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 20:58:30 »
glad you picked a 2nd mastery now.. i was going to suggest ranger but remembered this is like your first character again so the most important is to have fun

the complicated part in Dragin Huner is whether to get transmutation or not because transmutation don't go well with pierce and that is where hunting excels.. me, I'll probably go hybrid with no transmutation but that is another complicated one.. since your thinking of marksmanship, i guess the choice is str/dex.. it's just a matter of choosing between bow or throwing weapon.. i suggest you try both and choose.. that is part of the fun  :)

ps: when i saw this in guidesAE, i thought this was a new guide.. if it's ok for you Rorarimbo, i suggest this be moved to AE - general discussion maybe
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 00:34:25 by botebote77 »
i eat mana for breakfast
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2018, 03:35:23 »
glad you picked a 2nd mastery now.. i was going to suggest ranger but remembered this is like your first character again so the most important is to have fun

the complicated part in Dragin Huner is whether to get transmutation or not because transmutation don't go well with pierce and that is where hunting excels.. me, I'll probably go hybrid with no transmutation but that is another complicated one.. since your thinking of marksmanship, i guess the choice is str/dex.. it's just a matter of choosing between bow or throwing weapon.. i suggest you try both and choose.. that is part of the fun  :)

ps: when i saw this in guidesAE, i thought this was a new guide.. if it's ok for you Rorarimbo, i suggest this be moved to AE - general discussion maybe.

About Nature I know its good combo but honestly Im not much into the pets  ;).

The plan is as you say to use Marksmanship and no Transmutate. The initial idea was to go Archer but atm Im switching between a bow and throwing/shield. The toon is currently 20 lvl so its time to decide and I think the gear I find may also be a factor. But sure the intent is to test bow, throwing/shield and duel throwing. At least at the moment it seems to me that even late in the game reajustment can be done pretty easy skillwise.

What Im wondering is what to do with skills like Thunder Strike, Seal of Fate and Menhir Wall. These seem to be the skills that should keep the enemies away. I should also decide what skill to use as LMB. Study Pray is handy but I guess Thunder Strike should go there perhaps.

PS. Yes let the topic be moved where it belongs. I wasnt quite sure where to post it.

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Club Member
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2018, 10:19:33 »
yeah just go with what you think is fun.. i actually played a ranger back from TQIT.. i suggested it because you said you wouldn't have good gear.. this is what i did back then:

put 1 pt on all necessary skills and then max CotH and refresh.. that way you can have permanent CotH.. it can be annoying having to cast refresh like every 30secs or so but i assure you permanent CotH can make mediocre weapons seem good.. after that though pets really are next in line largely because of strength of the pack

for a dragon hunter i can't help much because i haven't tried it before and i haven't taken a rune char to legendary yet.. but i would suggest monster lure.. normal you won't need it.. it's shitty at lvl 1 but at max level with some + to all skills, it's a life saver.. also easy to use against archers.. the trick is to cast it before battles (not during), then step back.. (taken from CrocMagnum ahah)

edit: get runeword explode too.. and study prey is a must
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 10:27:09 by botebote77 »
i eat mana for breakfast
Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2018, 13:08:22 »
What You say about CotH looks great, nver realised it tbh.

Yes about  what Im doing Runeword Explode and Study Prey are a must. About Monster Lure will consider what You are saying. Personally I though using the Menhir Wall but may test both in future.