Author Topic: House of Flying Daggers Build  (Read 55184 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
House of Flying Daggers Build
« on: 27 October 2017, 04:39:53 »

This is a guide for the TQAE version of the bladeflinger build.

I think most pros already know of this but i just haven't found a guide for the AE version yet so i decided to just make 1 (this is different from the TQIT version).

This is a guide for those who have reached at least epic difficulty. Beginners can also do this but it'll take much longer for your character to take shape.

Ok let's start. A knifethrower is a rogue who uses throwing knives as main attack. You can have earth or storm as your 2nd mastery for some elemental damage (your a caster anyway). Many players don't know it yet but rogue is actually a very good caster. For my char i chose storm but I'm sure you can go with earth as well

Pros: Kills really fast and every attack is AOE/CC

Cons: energy probs and you're a glass cannon so don't get too close to mobs

Your very first target is to reach lvl 25 with whatever you have by just pumping dex (no strength). That's doable, right? you can add int so your staff (if you decide to go with staff) can do more damage but what you really need to pump is dex. You need 297 dex by lvl 25. You'll need to pre-farm SB cuffs (epic version) and an amulet that gives +2 to rogue (merchants sell it). Both items have a char lvl requirement of 25.. you need 297 dex to wear epic SB cuffs.

By lvl 25, your char should look like this:

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc9128.html?mastery=Sorcerer&master1=6&master2=8&sa=0&m1=32-0-0-1-12-1-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-0-0-6-0&m2=4-0-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

That's just lvl 21 but you get the idea. You should max throwing knives and flurry of knives as early as possible.

When you get to lvl 25, the fun finally starts. You'll be a true knifethrower. Your throwing knives will have zero recharge. Set it as your RMB and you can just spam it. You'll need lots of energy pots but that's not really a problem. You can enhance your amulet with spectral matter to help a little bit with your energy probs. By epic, most monsters have energy so you can leech energy and you don't have to carry much energy pots. You'll eventually want to max mandrake and nightshade so your attack itself is a CC. Storm nimbus tree or earth enchantment tree (whichever 2nd mastery you want) for some elemental damage. After pumping dex, you need to pump int. Storm Nimbus only gives puny elemental damage.. for one knife projectile that is. We're talking lots and lots of projectiles here. Trust me, it's worth it for this build. Endgame your char should look like this:

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc9128.html?mastery=Sorcerer&master1=6&master2=8&sa=0&m1=32-0-0-12-12-1-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-12-8-8-0-0-6-0-0&m2=32-0-10-1-0-8-1-0-12-0-0-0-6-12-0-0-1-1-0-8-0-0

or

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc85ef.html?mastery=Magician&master1=6&master2=1&sa=0&m1=32-0-0-12-12-1-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-12-8-8-0-0-6-0-0-0&m2=32-12-0-8-1-0-0-1-0-0-10-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-12-0-0

You'll eventually want to replace your epic SB cuffs with the legendary version (385 dex). You need int and dex for damage of course. Disarm traps is a good 1 point wonder skill to have here. Traps and constructs are immune to bleed and poison. Disarm traps take care of that and with your gear it becomes lvl 5. Definitely a good 1 point wonder

There you have it. Very easy to make and very easy to farm gear. You'll be surprised that it actually kills fast

notes: you need 120 str to wear epic SB cuffs and 144 for legendary.. just wear items that give some + to str.. casting speed from items is also good for this build.. you can also add a few points to strength to open more options for your other items but in my case i never needed to.. rogue mastery gives +56 to str anyways so that's 106 str with no items.. resistance reduction not from a weapon (like Polaris or monkey kings trickery) is gold for this build (actually it's a must in legendary).. also, see that attack damage converted to health from elemental rage? that would take you a long way.. but it must not be from a weapon

Now this is only for the mage version. I have also tried this with a knifethrower assassin and illusionist. Though for those builds, throwing knife is only used to reduce resistances and to proc granted skills. See here for a knifethrower Illusionist. For a knifethrower assassin, you have to stack CDR so you'll be able to spam battle standard. Traps deal really good damage with battle standard. You also have to wear Key of Elysium (2 KOEs if you have) to summon ancestral warriors. It procs with knives and the recharge is only 6 seconds so you can summon multiple warriors. Now wear a mbutis advocate on secondary to proc study prey (it also procs with knives). It's like an assassin version of the petmaster champion. It's more gear intensive and harder to make but it's also more powerful imo

update for ragnarok:

Dex requirement for epic SB cuffs has been raised to 307 and 425 for legendary version. Str requirement likewise has been raised to 132 for epic and 170 for legendary. Doesn’t really mean much because lvl requirement is still the same. Just have to focus on dex and str more. Ragnarok also have Eitr charms which gives flat elemental damage and it is confirmed by at least 1 user that 2x Eitr on rings is worth for this build (credit to Gautrec).

This is actually playable self-found even for new players but a different route is needed. New players start with int instead of dex and become an ice-sharder. Of course storm would be the first mastery to take. When you finally have +4 to all skills or at least to rogue, start putting points in dex and eventually respec to throwing knives. You can also put some points in dex earlier like late normal or early epic for preparation for epic SB cuffs.

What does throwing knives offer that ice shards doesn’t? Better damage, confusion, higher DA because of dex, ability to life/mana steal, and access to spear or throwing weapons again because of dex

video link
Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 01:45:14 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: House of Flying Daggers Build
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2017, 05:52:35 »
i wonder how this pairs with rune mastery
« Last Edit: 19 November 2017, 08:00:57 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2017, 14:36:05 »
Nice thread, botebote77! ;D Just a few questions:

1- In the old version the "Chance to Pass Through Enemies" was 100%, from Skill Level 1. Throwing knives was insanely fun. 

Comparatively in AE the Chance to Pass Through Enemies has been now set to 10%! And I'm not even talking about the Energy cost of the synergy, Flurry of of Knives, which has been increased a lot in the new version (cost x3!). This is a notable nerf.

So my question is: how this knive build fares comparatively to Immortal Throne?

2- What's your favourite 2d Mastery for this build?

Note: sorry I didn't notice your great post  earlier. ^^
« Last Edit: 30 November 2017, 14:50:26 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 01 December 2017, 09:28:20 »
thnx, this is actually my fave character

1) i actually think the nerf to 10% chance was necessary.. if not this would be too OP.. as compared to the TQIT version, i think that kills faster but the 2 are completely different in gear and stat optimization.. this knifethrower is dex/int.. before, it was mostly int and only little dex.. so this at least has more DA.. the DoT damage is actually good but resist reduction is necessary in legendary.. TQIT version was also very gear dependant.. this one is easier to equip and you become a knifethrower much earlier.. storm nimbus isn't even necessary early game because even undeads die from DoT in normal.. regarding energy cost, that's not much of an issue if you have energy leech.. actually i remember when i switched to ragnarok, i had to kill Hades again and i forgot to restack energy pots, so when i got to Hades i have no energy pots left.. i still killed him with no problems even with zero energy pots :) (and underlevelled because i skipped act 5 normal and epic)

2) well as i said this is my fave char.. but i haven't tried magician yet and i feel it would be fun too spreading knives with eruption in the middle.. and i feel undeads are weak against fire.. in my case, i cast squall, spread knives, then cast lightning bolt.. but the lightning bolt is just because i encountered that same question most of us encounter late in the game: "where do i put all these skill points at?"

ps: btw my mage haruspex build was partly inspired by your avenger and also as a response to those who say casters are weak in this game.. so thank you for that (i read it way way way before you post it here)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Skyknight

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 11 December 2017, 04:40:48 »
i wonder how this pairs with rune mastery

At the very least, it doesn't get any of its damage turned to elemental by Transmutation. Probably because Transmutation looks for basic physical damage, and the knives are piercing/bleeding instead. This means the Bolt Trap also stays untransmuted.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Giant2005

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 29 December 2017, 04:25:20 »
I plan on making myself a new Knife Thrower but I'm having a had time choosing a second mastery.
My last was Storm and focused more on Int and Elemental Damage over Piercing. However Warfare offers a lot too - Warfare that focuses on Strength and Physical Damage might be the better route; especially considering focusing on Strength will make the Incarnation of the Rage of Ares even more powerful (and that thing is powerful enough to deserve to be used regardless).
The way I see it, defensively they come out basically a wash: Squall + Energy shield = Dodge + Battle Standard.
Offensively seems close, but I think I'd give it to Warfare primarily based on Str's damage scaling being superior to Int's and Study Prey (via Mbuti's Advocate effecting physical but not elemental): Storm Nimbus + Squall + Summon Wisp + Int < Battle Standard + Battle Rage + Mbuti's Advocate + Str. Although I really can see that one being up for debate.

The real question is whether the Warfare version can hold up energy-wise (I think that might be why I chose Storm the first time around). Just focusing on Int alone helps a lot with the energy issues, but even more importantly; a lot of the good -Energy Cost gear is Int gear (I'm pretty sure my previous character made use of both Bai Hu's mantle and Coronal). Battle Standard comes with a built in -50% energy cost reduction but I'm not sure that is enough to make up the deficit.

So what do you think about Storm vs Warfare?
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 04:30:24 by Giant2005 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2017, 09:59:50 »
the fact that you thought about using rage of ares for a knifethrower assassin is enough reason for me to believe you know what you are saying.. there are two things i intended not to mention on my guide because i want people to keep exploring rather than follow guides step by step, word for word.. 1st is life steal although i kind of gave a clue.. 2nd is rage of ares.. you are the first person to mention that.. thank you.. now how can i be of help hmm.. you forgot to mention eye of the storm and spell breaker but i guess you already know that.. for assassin, you can further boost trap damage with scroll of stalwart alliance but that might be overkill with permanent battle standard.. actually, a caster assassin isn't that mana hungry because traps and battle standard are enough to clear mobs.. knives are just to spread RR and confusion.. if you already have items ready for a caster assassin, i say go for it

it's really a toss up between the 2 but since you already played sorcerer, go for something new.. other options are earth, nature, dream, and maybe rune.. maybe spirit also

earth: you already know that
nature: strength of the pack
dream: traps, knives and distortion wave, nightmare mastermind
rune: rune weapon but you need flat elem from items
spirit: permanent unearthly power, also needs flat damage from items

but i think warfare is tankiest
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 10:01:50 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Giant2005

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 29 December 2017, 13:18:12 »
I think Dream is probably tankier than Warfare, but that really doesn't matter to me - Dream is my go-to for basically every build so I'd like to avoid it as often as there is a viable alternative.
You did bring up a bit of a sore point with the life steal thing though. The only way I can see to pull it off is via the Elemenal Rage Arti. That Arti means missing out on the incredible Tyrant's Fist Arti, which is even more incredible on a Warfare character rather than Storm. I find that choice to be basically impossible to make and hope to just use both by whipping out the Elemental Rage whenever I am in need of health. It really isn't all that practical, but Tyrant's Fist really is far too good to give up. The only alternative I see is using the Shadowformed Band for one of my ring slots but frankly, that thing really kind of sucks. I'd much rather be using a Mark of Ares.
I really think that might be the biggest issue with choosing Warfare over Storm - there are too many items that boost Physical Damage and that makes itemization really quite difficult.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 29 December 2017, 14:06:54 »
about lvl 30ish and up of my sorcerer, i was alternating between shadowformed band, aeon, and necklace of harmonia for life steal.. it's just that when i completed my elemental rage, the completion bonus i got was mana steal so it was too hard to turn down.. i got lucky there

but yeah for an assassin there would be better artifacts than elemental rage.. i think when i switch to caster mode for my assassin, i use talisman of jade emperor, hmm i think athena's battle greaves, pelaron and pendant of immortal rage.. i think also an occult ring of immortality with demon's blood.. i need that cast speed.. I'm not even sure if i get life and mana steal.. traps + battle standard + pendant of immortal rage are good enough to clear mobs.. traps cost little energy.. edit: and yeah some knife throwing

edit 2: do i use pendant of immortal rage? heh can't remember
« Last Edit: 29 December 2017, 14:23:38 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 31 December 2017, 20:56:19 »
inspired from Giant2005's icesharder/knifethrower comment, new players can actually follow this but they take a different route.. start with int instead of dex and be an icesharder first.. then after getting +4 to all skills or at least to rogue, respec to knives and mix in dex.. or get dex early epic/late normal in preparation for SB cuffs.. i still advice you wear a shield even if it's just santa's, blue item, or socketed green.

what does knives provide that ice shards doesn't? better damage, able to life/mana steal, able to spread more resistance reduction, better DA, confusion, able to equip spears or throwing weapons not necessarily to attack with it but some can give you caster necessities like all skills, %damage, recharge
« Last Edit: 31 December 2017, 21:25:19 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 23 March 2018, 14:48:20 »
Hi botebote, first off: thank you for this guide, since it inspired me to try out this incredibly fun character!
I do, however, have a few questions, mostly regarding itemization and its lategame viability. For example, I currently tried to use 2x Legendary Eitr (with its absurd 78 flat elemental damage) over Monkey King's Trickery in my ring slots, as, at least in epic (currently a5), it does increase my killspeed substantially. And since you seem to get away with only 12 total resist reduction in your 3x Hades video, I was wondering if, with the new options given in Ragnarok, a build focussing only on flat damage bonuses might be better than one with slightly higher resist reduction. After all, Squall still provides this effect to *some* degree.
The second and more exciting item I am currently testing (inspired by your use of the KoE with your Assassin) is the Nidbow. What it lacks in the nice resistances, projectile speed and energy cost reduction of my previously used Heka Staff, it makes up with +% total damage and and an on-attack-proc that, at least in epic, is absolutely devestating. If I observed and understood it correctly, this Bow has a 10% chance on hit to proc a "Power Strike" in the form of 4 meteors raining from the sky for each 145 cold and ca. 190 vit damage as well as some Vitality Decay in a 1m radius, all of which is converted to health. This scales nicely with an int-based sorcerer (if the damage of procs on items scales with your attributes etc. - does anybody know the answer to that question?) and with throwing knives on xmax, it is triggered multiple times in every fight for an added life leech-AoE and an additional shotgun-effect for most bosses who, due to their size, get hit by many if not all projectiles of each proc. Another downside to using this bow, though, is its absurd dexterity requirement of 525, since not everybody might be as lucky as me and get a pair of weightless Demonskin Walkers from their dwarven smith.
But I did not come here simply to show off my character (obviously  ;)). In fact, it was mostly impatience: since I will be very busy with work during the next few weeks, I won't be able to really test my setup in legendary; which lead me to create this rambly novel of a post, hoping that maybe someone reading this guide might be interested in testing the same thing.
For context: the two setups I am currently using with my sorcereress are:
One with relatively high resist reduction, mediocre flat damage and fairly bad resists (Twisted Coil of the Parasite, 1x Monkey King's, Corselet of Freyja, Demonskin Walkers & Stheno's Wisdom with + 2 to all skills)
One with no resist reduction, great flat damage and great resists (Stonebinder's with Legendary Cold Essence - hallowed completion bonus -, 2x Occult ring with Legendary Eitr, Demonskin Walkers, Tunika of the Magi & Crest of Hypnos)
With the latter proving more effective at least on epic difficulty.

PS: Ever since I found out about the interaction of the Throwing Knives with the Nidbow, I am trying to make  a Warlock with vitality damage work (Necrosis is so op!). But apart from Freyja's Coronet, there seems to simply be too little flat vit. damage on most items... why can't I put some Fury's Heart Blood on my rings?  :'(

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 24 March 2018, 00:14:06 »
Hello and welcome to the forum Gautrec.. thank you for liking this build and watching my videos.. i actually don't have some of the items you mentioned so i feel some pressure in giving the right answers :) .. but I'll try to be helpful anyway

1) it's actually not just 12 total resist reduction.. i also wear Polaris which gives 20% chance of 40 reduced resist.. and as you might have noticed already, 20% will proc more often with multiple fast attack like throwing knife.. and when that 40 RR procs, together with monkey kings, that flat 52 RR is huge.. as i remember, i was ok with only squall as RR up to act 2 legendary.. somewhere in act 3, i felt my damage was starting to wane and that's when i switched to monkey kings and Polaris.. my damage was good again.. take note there was still no ragnarok that time so i wasn't able to try Eitr.. but if i have to choose between monkey kings and Eitr, on legendary, I think I'd still choose monkey kings because it reduces all types of resists including poison and bleed.. that is assuming the elemental conversion doesn't affect throwing knife (I'm still not sure about the mechanics)

2) Nidbow.. Now this one i don't have yet so i had to check tq-db.. but tq-db doesn't give clear info about granted skills so I'd have to ask you some questions too:

1) i noticed power strike has 41 energy cost, are you sure it's not an active skill?

2) if it says 10% chance to proc on hit, does it have recharge? summon ancestral warriors from KoE only has 6 sec recharge so it can summon multiple warriors

3) if it procs often enough, are you killing fast enough that it's worth it sacrificing a shield? the flat vit damage from nidbow, as well as life/energy leech, reduced resist, does not apply on throwing knife

regarding your item selection, yeah i think I'll go with the 2nd one.. but on legendary, you might need more RR than just squall.. so how about: SB cuffs, crest of hypnos(so ugly), tunic of the magi, demonskin, Polaris, occult ring, monkey kings (with Eitr?), neith's will, moon disc (if you have this).. neith's will and moon disc will take care of the casting speed and %damage left by one of the occult rings.. your weightless demonskin might enable you to wear neith's will and moon disc (300+str).. i don't know where you are in epic.. the beast just after charon gives +6(?) str and dex i think.. then you might need to put some on str as you level up.. but keep your stat points unused first and use it only when you really have to.. you also have to check your resists of course

regarding throwing knife vit damage warlock, iirc undeads and constructs vit resists cannot be lowered now.. so just be sure you have other types of damage from whatever source.. double Eitr with disarm traps and sprit ward might be enough (maybe)

edit: now I'm getting things mixed up.. i forgot monkey king's is a relic hehe.. i haven't played this character in a while and my playing time in this game has greatly lessened nowadays.. so there's still one ring slot.. maybe for resist or more damage like archimedes cogwheel.. or a robust/hale ring of something to wear the moon disc? enhanced with Eitr or demons blood?
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 03:09:34 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 24 March 2018, 02:35:44 »
Hi botebote, first off: thank you for this guide, since it inspired me to try out this incredibly fun character!
I do, however, have a few questions, mostly regarding itemization and its lategame viability. For example, I currently tried to use 2x Legendary Eitr (with its absurd 78 flat elemental damage) over Monkey King's Trickery in my ring slots, as, at least in epic (currently a5), it does increase my killspeed substantially. And since you seem to get away with only 12 total resist reduction in your 3x Hades video, I was wondering if, with the new options given in Ragnarok, a build focussing only on flat damage bonuses might be better than one with slightly higher resist reduction. After all, Squall still provides this effect to *some* degree.
The second and more exciting item I am currently testing (inspired by your use of the KoE with your Assassin) is the Nidbow. What it lacks in the nice resistances, projectile speed and energy cost reduction of my previously used Heka Staff, it makes up with +% total damage and and an on-attack-proc that, at least in epic, is absolutely devestating. If I observed and understood it correctly, this Bow has a 10% chance on hit to proc a "Power Strike" in the form of 4 meteors raining from the sky for each 145 cold and ca. 190 vit damage as well as some Vitality Decay in a 1m radius, all of which is converted to health. This scales nicely with an int-based sorcerer (if the damage of procs on items scales with your attributes etc. - does anybody know the answer to that question?) and with throwing knives on xmax, it is triggered multiple times in every fight for an added life leech-AoE and an additional shotgun-effect for most bosses who, due to their size, get hit by many if not all projectiles of each proc. Another downside to using this bow, though, is its absurd dexterity requirement of 525, since not everybody might be as lucky as me and get a pair of weightless Demonskin Walkers from their dwarven smith.
But I did not come here simply to show off my character (obviously  ;)). In fact, it was mostly impatience: since I will be very busy with work during the next few weeks, I won't be able to really test my setup in legendary; which lead me to create this rambly novel of a post, hoping that maybe someone reading this guide might be interested in testing the same thing.
For context: the two setups I am currently using with my sorcereress are:
One with relatively high resist reduction, mediocre flat damage and fairly bad resists (Twisted Coil of the Parasite, 1x Monkey King's, Corselet of Freyja, Demonskin Walkers & Stheno's Wisdom with + 2 to all skills)
One with no resist reduction, great flat damage and great resists (Stonebinder's with Legendary Cold Essence - hallowed completion bonus -, 2x Occult ring with Legendary Eitr, Demonskin Walkers, Tunika of the Magi & Crest of Hypnos)
With the latter proving more effective at least on epic difficulty.

PS: Ever since I found out about the interaction of the Throwing Knives with the Nidbow, I am trying to make  a Warlock with vitality damage work (Necrosis is so op!). But apart from Freyja's Coronet, there seems to simply be too little flat vit. damage on most items... why can't I put some Fury's Heart Blood on my rings?  :'(

Nidbow...I can't believe I forgot this one. Good idea!
The major possible problems for this bow to work are whether there is a hidden cooldown on the effect and what is the proc chance. Dex req, undead and constructs...these problem can probably be solved with one gear or another, but if the cooldown and proc chance are not good enough, this whole idea will have limited potential. But if both are all good...this build is gonna be another (why another?) monster...

OK tested it on my Brigand. Confirmed the skill can be triggered by knives, confirmed 0 cooldown as stated. However the proc chance...uh...maybe not very satisfying. I'm running on 100% casting speed since it is Brigand, so the actual build should work 3X better with proc chance, but I do have a concern on it.
« Last Edit: 24 March 2018, 03:19:47 by tholuneve »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 24 March 2018, 15:01:38 »
@botebote77: I forgot to mention that I am wearing Polaris too, so I actually do have some resist reduction on my gear :)
Regarding the elemental conversion: I am pretty sure that only weapon/shield damage and bonus damage found directly on those items is converted - skill damage is not affected at all* (the mechanics of throwing knives are very unique though, so... who knows).
Regarding the Moon Disc: that is actually an item that I do not possess yet  :)) However, even with my Demonskin walkers, the strength requirement would still be 336*(1-0,19)=272, which is very high for this int/dex sorcerer - it exceeds the 170 str threshold of the Stonebinder's cuffs (which is where I am at currently) by more that 100 points. Furthermore, the amount of damage blocked by a low-level epic shield in the lategame seems fairly irrelevant to me, especially since, in my opinion, even with an awesome legendary shield you still need some amount of -% Shield Recovery Time to make the block mechanic useful in said lategame. In this case, to me, a shield is mostly interesting for the defensive stats commonly found on them, e.g. a low-level green shield with an Incarnation of the Aegis of Athena (tons of vit res) or of the Shade of Hector (DA). Neith's Will is a compelling choice though, too; if I managed to somehow get 300% cast speed with just one occult ring, I might even be able to equip my arctic ring of supremacy... that one is daring me to equip it for quite some time now ;D

@tholuneve: I actually tested the proc chance of the Nidbow's ability by hitting one of the practice targets at the tower of judgement 200 times with basic weapon attacks; the proc was triggered exactly 20 times (which is why I said it has a chance of about 10% proc in my previous post). When spamming my throwing knives at close distance (meaning all projectiles hit 1 target) with a cast speed of 300%, the meteors didn't stop falling and even continued raining down for a few seconds after I stopped attacking (maybe meaning that it can't proc multiple times at once and instead stacks, one instance of the proc resolving after another? It could also be geographically limited, meaning two instances of the proc can not happen in the exact same spot). Against monster groups (with xmax x4) the meteors proc about 3-4 times per pack; on 3 bosses, the number depends on how much I have to kite/ how close I can get in and shotgun them down. I actually managed to kill epic Surtr (x3) yesterday, and in his case, the procs were absolutelly insane (after the first phase he is a gigantic and static magnet for throwing knives). In fact, there were so many effects on screen that they caused a CTD on my old laptop shortly after the fight was over. This build was never something for machines that are faint of heart, though; so I guess this was to be expected ;D

Finally, during this TQ-session, I noticed one more thing that might make Power Strike an absolutely broken ability: It procs off of other spells.
Yes, you read corretly: It procs off of Squall, it procs off of Lightning Bolt, and it might even have a chance to trigger off of the lightning retaliation granted by the last mod of Storm Nimbus. They appear to all be counted as "attacks".
This implies to things: firstly that the number of procs I counted on regular monster packs might, to some degree, be caused by Squall, which could be almost as good at proccing Power Strike as the Throwing Knives are (It hits all enemies in a gigantic area again and again, as long as it is active). Secondly, even when kiting 3 bosses, Power Strike can actually trigger pretty frequently if you just regularly recast squall on them.
I must admit, I still need some time to process this information myself and it does make me wonder if there might be a build out there that procs this ability even more often (maybe utilizing ring of fire & trance of wrath? Does it trigger off of Death Chill Aura? The radius of these skills is puny, though, especially if compared to Squall & the Throwing Knives with their crazy attack speed...)

*I believe Clex explained this in his Advanced Guide for Dealing Damage:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #14 on: 24 March 2018, 20:49:22 »
The nice thing in a forum like this is to read new ideas like these ones, and to see how people can warm up a build, impressive  :)

But... to my mind, this feature will not stay long. Many gear updates have been made in january and february (like the required lvl, see the set Shades). A substantive work has been done in order to adjust the base damage of most weapons with the upgraded level of mobs. Granted skills added in AE and Ragnarok are susceptible to be modified. As far as i can check, proc skills with high base damage have a few seconds recharge time like:

- Mystic circle : https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/shield-of-skuld
- Chain ligthning https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/mj%C3%B6lnir
- Distortion wave https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/sakur-aba

But in the meanwhile, enjoy !

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal