Author Topic: Ragnarok: New Critters, New Headaches.  (Read 18827 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline gasconron

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Ragnarok: New Critters, New Headaches.
« on: 10 December 2017, 16:21:02 »
I just ran my 0 death Conqueror in xMax AE:R Legendary today. It was rough start to finish. Everything hurts; and I'm saying this with a ~1400 DA, ~60+ all resists, 10k HP with stacked armor and semi-perma quick recovery. Ragnarok isn't a walk in the park even for a Conqueror. There's some nasty hard hitting baddies out there and a bajillion projectiles pelting you down. I was downing scrolls of the Arrow Dancer like mad.

I'm actually worried for my non-cookie cutter classes, didn't expect this much difference in damage output. Or maybe it's because everything is new and not much is known about the critters in AE:R; leading to lack of preparation.

My personal annoyances in AE:R
- centaurs spamming warhorns that chunk %HP are back.
- troll projectile swarm (new rendition machae)
- ygdrassiil and valhalla area (damage reflect trolls, Battle Standard mobs, warhorn peeps)
- Aesir fight was rough
- Black Elves (damn the damage...)

Share your Ragnarok experiences here. Any squishie  one-shot stories you wanna share?
 Which monsters did you have a hard time with and which bosses didn't you guys like?
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 19:16:50 by gasconron »
xmax hardcore is the only way to play this game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
Re: Ragnarok: New Critters, New Headaches.
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2017, 19:25:40 »
I always hated those centaurs that cast the banner and has the warhorn, especially when there's a bunch of their allies and they encircle you.
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2017, 21:16:49 »
i haven't played TQ:R with xmax yet because i want to experience it as it is first.. but, I'll still share.

my first try with my illusionist, haven't finished act 4 legendary yet, the difficulty spike was very noticeable.. well, i skipped act 5 normal and epic so i was handicapped.. i got back to act 3 to get the new portal in Olympus.. telkine almost killed me.. maybe i underestimated him because he was never a threat before.. but i heard that dudung!! sound.. when i continued in act 4, i can clearly see i was underlevelled, i was 68/69 fighting 80/81 mobs.. i was actually buying health pots :) .. i don't buy health pots before.. didn't die though.. illusionist just has many tricks to stay alive, regrowth being at the forefront.

my knifethrower sorcerer previously finished legendary so i just continued to act 5.. also underlevelled and handicapped but still going strong.. none of that difficulty spike thing.. i did die once but really it shouldn't count.. i was exploring an area (not really an area but just a big pedestal or something).. i was like "what's this for?", then when i was about to go down, a mob suddenly appeared (monster mermaids), i was trapped.. i got them confused but i got hit with nasty bleeds (not trolls but monster mermaids).. i thought my health pot could take it but a hero monster cast lightning bolt on me, boom dead.. i have 80% lightning res but my health was too low from the bleed.. i got back to them this time in an open area and no problems.. looking back though, if i wasn't handicapped and surprised, i could've avoided that because of energy shield (i was underlevelled so my energy shield that time was only level 1, level 5 with +4).

my bonecharmer stays on the shelf because it's boring to play.. my assassin, i don't know.. i don't play melee anymore.. my accomplished hero mage haruspex finished act 5 normal like it was a walk in the park (but it's just normal so it doesn't count)

I'm surprised you didn't mention those annoying water spirits

edit: (i copy paste my comment from another thread)
today my sorcerer reminded me that storm still has one of the best situational skills in the game.. I was battling fafnir the dragon for the first time and i was surprised by his skills.. I was having fun running around and occasionally hitting him.. until i remembered i have spellbreaker.. 2 casts and the fight quickly became a joke
« Last Edit: 10 December 2017, 23:16:12 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline gasconron

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 11 December 2017, 04:12:35 »
I'm surprised you didn't mention those annoying water spirits

What stood out to me on my first playthrough were situations that got my Conq past half health. I usually use my Conq as a threshold in gauging the difficulty of certain areas in the game. If they can bring down a 10k HP, 1400 DA with high resists down to half HP (~5000+ worth of damage), which is usually my target end-game HP for most characters, then it is safe to assume that I need to be cautious/make preparations when playing in those specific areas on my future re-runs.

while spirits were annoying with their projectile spam, invulnerability animations and fast movement speed, their projectile damage output was nowhere near the Dark Elves in last areas of the game, or troll packs of axe throwers. Tbh, Dark elves make Machae Grandmaster damage seem like a joke, what damage do these guys do??? Only area in the game when my HP triggered critical. Never want to go through that tower again. It would be a sick joke if these guys actually had a decent MI on them; would hate to farm these things.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2017, 04:15:42 by gasconron »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Autentist

• Vanguard of Humanity
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 12 December 2017, 09:20:41 »
Water girls. Goddamn, they are annoying as fuck. Hard to kill, always kiting everywhere and spamming projectiles.
Nerta Shamans. Summon insects to annoy you. Summon flowers to bind you. Nothing helps against this shit, you are literally stuck to one place.
Alfheim elves with their Aktaios sun rays crap.
And of course, Black Elves. The damage is just through the roof.
Burn the heretics.
Slay mutants.
Kill beasts.
Survive, adapt, exterminate the unholy.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline gasconron

• TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 12 December 2017, 10:20:42 »
Alfheim elves with their Aktaios sun rays crap.

of course how can I forget... in xmax, this was terrible... sunrays all over the place. it hurts a lot especially when stacked.

I was too busy trying to gtfo of Alfheim/Valhall ASAP. I spoiled my game experience and read through player reviews before playing.
I didn't know exactly which critters had damage reflect so I was too busy running than actually fighting.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2017, 12:35:08 »
A couple of new heroes I spotted in the cave in the Canyon of Isis: The All Devourer (slug) and something Speartail (scorpion). Died to the slug trying to get a decent screenshot.  >:(

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2017, 12:56:12 »
I could've sworn the All Devourer was in the game before... Or not. I don't know.
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 19 December 2017, 13:10:59 »
Nope, was added either for AE or for the expansion.  I have a list of the original TQIT heroes.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 19 December 2017, 13:40:09 »
Nice found, they are new heroes indeed.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2018, 10:56:36 »
Not new to the expansion, but to AE is Shadowmaw a fire breathing hyena hero who randomly spawns in the cave in the Phocian Swamp.  If you thought dealing with Cyclops was hard wait until you run into him.  Being not that high a level when you find him it's quite difficult.  Advice is to equip a bow, potshot and retreat, doing this all the way out of the cave since his leash has been extended and he'll now chase you all the way to the entrance.  I hadn't run into him since installing the expansion and wondered if he'd been removed from the game as being too difficult, but he spawned for my Runesmith, giving her her first death when she tried to go toe-to-toe with him as an experiment to see how well she could cope.  She didn't.  So back to bow and potshotting which took time, but did succeed in the end.  :)

At least he's not quite related so can be avoided if you want.

Another one just spotted - Nesis Firemaker (Firemarker?) - Satyr mage.  Didn't get a screenshot as didn't think of it until I killed it.  Edit: Nesis Fleshmender - healer Satyr.

« Last Edit: 11 January 2018, 11:51:02 by MedeaFleecestealer »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2018, 11:58:54 »
i miss the days when i could max my brightness and play for hours straight :) i wear glasses now so i have to take care of my eyes

anyway does anyone know the location of Isenhelm - Einherjar hero? looking at tq-db, he seems to drop many high end helms.. it's wysiwyg for me now but maybe i can bring myself to farm
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2018, 18:25:16 »
Another new hero - The Broodmother.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2018, 19:36:47 »
Another new hero - The Broodmother.

Its was added in AE version
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 15 January 2018, 19:58:04 »
Since we don't have an AE new monsters thread might as well post them here.  ;D

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal