Author Topic: Hunting/Rune Archer Build?  (Read 25449 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
Hunting/Rune Archer Build?
« on: 17 February 2018, 14:05:08 »
Hello Guys. After 10 or so years when I was playing in Gaming club I now gfound about TQAE+Ragnarok and got them in my Steam account.

I see there are some balance changes plus I dont really remember or ever known alot about the games mechanics. Im wondering what Archer build you can suggest for me. Back in TQIT Hunting/Dream and Hunting/ Rogue were good options for an archer. Honestly Im considering to try Hunting/Rune. I never played Rune mastery before. From my initial research I see people prefer throwing weapons but can it work well for an archer build? I used to have Brigand and Haruspex anyway and if they are going to be the same but somewhat worse than I remember I better try smth else.

I know in this game everything should work but Im pretty bad at games like that  and I have no gear so I need a build that will make it somewhat easier for me. Thats why Im asking if Dragon Hunter can be a good Archer or not? Thanks.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Hunting/Rune Archer Build?
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2018, 14:08:32 »
Welcome :)
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2018, 14:15:53 »
Thanks

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cleglaw

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2018, 15:00:21 »
It definitely works for an an archer build.  The one advantage that bows have over throwing weapons is considerably more range. Throwing weapons are a heck of a lot faster.  Marksmanship works with both.

Welcome to the forum.
The last dying words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian
"I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 17 February 2018, 16:43:47 »
It definitely works for an an archer build.  The one advantage that bows have over throwing weapons is considerably more range. Throwing weapons are a heck of a lot faster.  Marksmanship works with both.

Welcome to the forum.
You just destroyed me there  ;D. I saw all those throwing weapons being added but  I never cared to actually read the whole descripion of Marksmanship that says: "allows you to fire and throw". While Wood Lore now says:"bow spear or thrown objects". Until now I havent realised they were addad to these skills. Well this means the build is 95% the same its a choice between range - bow; survivability - shield plus throwing weapon; dps - duel wielding throwing weapons. These are some skill points that could be reajusted in acordance really. Despite I realise how noob I am. This makes me really happy  ;D. /there is npo reson not to try the Dragin Huner now. Thanks.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #5 on: 17 February 2018, 20:58:30 »
glad you picked a 2nd mastery now.. i was going to suggest ranger but remembered this is like your first character again so the most important is to have fun

the complicated part in Dragin Huner is whether to get transmutation or not because transmutation don't go well with pierce and that is where hunting excels.. me, I'll probably go hybrid with no transmutation but that is another complicated one.. since your thinking of marksmanship, i guess the choice is str/dex.. it's just a matter of choosing between bow or throwing weapon.. i suggest you try both and choose.. that is part of the fun  :)

ps: when i saw this in guidesAE, i thought this was a new guide.. if it's ok for you Rorarimbo, i suggest this be moved to AE - general discussion maybe
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 00:34:25 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2018, 03:35:23 »
glad you picked a 2nd mastery now.. i was going to suggest ranger but remembered this is like your first character again so the most important is to have fun

the complicated part in Dragin Huner is whether to get transmutation or not because transmutation don't go well with pierce and that is where hunting excels.. me, I'll probably go hybrid with no transmutation but that is another complicated one.. since your thinking of marksmanship, i guess the choice is str/dex.. it's just a matter of choosing between bow or throwing weapon.. i suggest you try both and choose.. that is part of the fun  :)

ps: when i saw this in guidesAE, i thought this was a new guide.. if it's ok for you Rorarimbo, i suggest this be moved to AE - general discussion maybe.

About Nature I know its good combo but honestly Im not much into the pets  ;).

The plan is as you say to use Marksmanship and no Transmutate. The initial idea was to go Archer but atm Im switching between a bow and throwing/shield. The toon is currently 20 lvl so its time to decide and I think the gear I find may also be a factor. But sure the intent is to test bow, throwing/shield and duel throwing. At least at the moment it seems to me that even late in the game reajustment can be done pretty easy skillwise.

What Im wondering is what to do with skills like Thunder Strike, Seal of Fate and Menhir Wall. These seem to be the skills that should keep the enemies away. I should also decide what skill to use as LMB. Study Pray is handy but I guess Thunder Strike should go there perhaps.

PS. Yes let the topic be moved where it belongs. I wasnt quite sure where to post it.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 18 February 2018, 10:19:33 »
yeah just go with what you think is fun.. i actually played a ranger back from TQIT.. i suggested it because you said you wouldn't have good gear.. this is what i did back then:

put 1 pt on all necessary skills and then max CotH and refresh.. that way you can have permanent CotH.. it can be annoying having to cast refresh like every 30secs or so but i assure you permanent CotH can make mediocre weapons seem good.. after that though pets really are next in line largely because of strength of the pack

for a dragon hunter i can't help much because i haven't tried it before and i haven't taken a rune char to legendary yet.. but i would suggest monster lure.. normal you won't need it.. it's shitty at lvl 1 but at max level with some + to all skills, it's a life saver.. also easy to use against archers.. the trick is to cast it before battles (not during), then step back.. (taken from CrocMagnum ahah)

edit: get runeword explode too.. and study prey is a must
« Last Edit: 18 February 2018, 10:27:09 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 February 2018, 13:08:22 »
What You say about CotH looks great, nver realised it tbh.

Yes about  what Im doing Runeword Explode and Study Prey are a must. About Monster Lure will consider what You are saying. Personally I though using the Menhir Wall but may test both in future.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2018, 00:42:29 »
All right here is a little update how Im doing with this char. Currently I have finishe Act 4. Unfortunately next few weeks I will not have much time to complete the Normal difficulty  but thats that.

Atm Ïm running throwing weapon and shield with bow on the off hand. It seems the game really wants me to go in that direction since I have collected  6 types of  epic throwing weapons and a legendary that I will not be able to use soon... In comparison with any other type of gear the difference is huge. Perhaps as new type of the weapon they made the drop much bigger at this point. I even got Touch of Nyx twice. I didnt even know its possible. In case You dont know this is perhaps one of the best Legendary throwing weapons in the game requiring level 60 to use. I made 50 or so Hades runs after act 4 and this got dropped from a demon not 1 but 2 times.

Pretty early I leveled the two masteries high to be able to test the different skills. I tried dual throwing weapons but it certainly isnt my cup of tea. Way too often I end up in mele fight distance and prefer having a shield in stead of the little more dmg. Im still thinking Bow will be option in later stages of the game but the difference of level between bows and throwing weapons is too big to be able to compare. But actually I like having the two options as now I have some choice how to approach certain group of monsters. It seems only Gouge dont work with throwing weapons while Runeword Absorb on the other hand needs a shield.

Im also surprised how strong Guardian Stones are against Bosses esp on Normal dificulty. I throw them at Hades the moment he goes in Ghost form and lvl 1 is enough to kill him while I can only throw Study Prey and avoid his projectiles. Runic mines also work well sofar when I get monsters around me and want to clear them earlier or regain some range. I tried Thunder strike too and it seems fairly good skill. But as it doesnt work together  with Marksman Synergies, Volley and I think Runeword Explode I decided to drop it. Seal of Fate seems very powerful but I had troubles throwing it where its needed most and dropped it too. It takes too much time to take efect plus its AoE is limited  and usually its efect was near to none. Here You can see the skills distribution sofar: https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc39343934rune64ca.html?mastery=Dragon Hunter&master1=7&master2=10&sa=7&m1=32-0-0-6-4-1-1-0-1-0-0-4-7-0-8-1-1-0-4-7-6-0&m2=32-0-0-5-0-1-0-1-1-8-0-1-0-2-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-1-0 I have items giving +1 to all skills in Rune Mastery and +3 to Exploit Weakness.

As mantioned I did a little farming, too. It was the Telkin in 3rd Act and Hades. I intend next characters I make to be accomplished heroes and having some amout of Epic items will help starting new toons and having some quick idea about new builds. Ofc It helps with this current character being better equiped. On the other hand its temporary items so Its pointless to go full farm mode too.

Well thats it sofar. I dont know if smbd will be interested but I felt its fair I give You an update since I had You guys involved already.

Cheers All
« Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 05:54:46 by Rorarimbo »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2018, 05:24:53 »
link don't work.. you gotta try monster lure dude heh :)  ..  but i don't remember how effective it is at max lvl.. i find it effective at ultimate max

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=213.msg3052#msg3052
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2018, 05:53:27 »
I will try it for sure I had at at lvl 1 but felt it didnt agro monsters enough esp when I cast Study Prey. But I do remember its efect long time ago when I used to play it saved my Brigand a lot of times. I dont know if they changed smth in the way it works or not but will test it for sure.

PS. The link should be working well now.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 05:55:56 by Rorarimbo »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2018, 07:30:21 »
yes link works now.. it will not agro at lvl 1 because the provoke radius is very small.. me i would probably get thunder strike and seal of fate.. seal of fate is effective against bosses because they don't move a lot and reduced resistance is huge.. and it's flat so it can get resistances to negative.. i find that if it hits them, then you attack nonstop they die quickly
« Last Edit: 25 February 2018, 07:32:29 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Rorarimbo

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2018, 09:10:48 »
Yes what You are saying for monster lure makes sence. I had it on lvl 1 indeed. Thunder Strike and Explode I guess will be testing them more. I had fun with Thunder Strike and the synergy in Act 2 but realising I either use it or all other skills I have for my attack made me feel its kind of pointless despite it works well itself. What You re saying about bosses and Explode makes sence also . I guess I will give it a try for this particular reason (bosses dont move much) when I got more points. I guess moving to higher difficulty levels will change how this char is played more or less so we will have to see.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2018, 19:07:34 »
Been talking about how bad Scatter Shot has become, compared to how it was before, while also playing my elemental bow Sage again for a bit.

I think a Dragon Hunter could be build perfectly as an elemental build too, which allows you to bypass Bow Mastery completely, as Rune Weapon would then make for at least as good an archery skill. You'd lack some AoE, but you still have Volley, and Runeword: Explode on your arrows, which you can leisurely fire from behind your Menhir Wall, while Guardian Stones suddenly do a lot more damage (than they would on a physical/piercing build). Moreover, you could seamlessly switch between a bow and a spear loadout, without sacrificing any damage because of points spent on skills obsolete for one weapon type or the other (save perhaps Runeword: Absorb, and one point in Take Down, but that's more or less optional anyway).

Here You can see the skills distribution sofar: https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc39343934rune64ca.html?mastery=Dragon Hunter&master1=7&master2=10&sa=7&m1=32-0-0-6-4-1-1-0-1-0-0-4-7-0-8-1-1-0-4-7-6-0&m2=32-0-0-5-0-1-0-1-1-8-0-1-0-2-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-1-0 I have items giving +1 to all skills in Rune Mastery and +3 to Exploit Weakness.

Actually, if you are going physical/piercing, you could still swap out Bow Mastery for Rune Weapon, and grab Reckless Offense. Then, you could switch between bow, and dual-wielding daggers for ridiculous piercing melee.

Based on what you got, it would look something like this. At the end of the road, it would actually be 3 skillpoints less (considering you would probably be maxing out all Bow Mastery synergies, and won't be grabbing Transmutation at all, or Magical Charge beyond a single point).
« Last Edit: 10 April 2018, 19:09:40 by Laionidas »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal