Author Topic: Poorly Thought Out Items  (Read 20362 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Poorly Thought Out Items
« Reply #15 on: 18 July 2018, 20:41:18 »
Sorry for hindering the flow of this topic, its obvious most of you don't like getting into negative talks about the game or the devs.. so I'll try to keep the criticisms to a minimum :)

About dual wielding Slayer, is it viable for later difficulties? I always wanted to make one but shield + spear combo didn't appeal to me in this build because of the lack defence mastery and its utilities..   

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #16 on: 19 July 2018, 10:33:01 »
Slayer, what kind of slayer? Hunting is a mastery with sizable marksmanship tree and several skills related to pierce, then warfare is similarly sizable onslaught tree and dual wield melee WPS. If you take either of these out you are left with a big pool of unspent points that will have to go to skills like battle rage or ancestral horn for no better alternatives.

I have a dual wielding slayer, but she's dual wielding bone darts, and had no jagged silk at that point. With a spear and shield on weapon swap. Using both marksmanship and onslaught trees. Shield is Zenon's third paradox, sort of a solution to archers, esp undead.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2018, 10:43:47 by mammoth_hunter »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 19 July 2018, 11:00:54 »
IMO, items from games of this genre are generally not well thought out. Devs do not design skills and items so that each one of them could fit into a certain playstyle or build. Instead, they just design items randomly and expect players to try out and develop their own build. When players played sufficient hours and created sufficient amount of different builds, devs then balance the stats on items or redesign some of them, or add more items or dlc based on players' feedback and data collected. This could apply to Diablo II and Path of Exile, and I think it also applies to GrimDawn.
However, in this game, the original devs never had a chance to wait that long to make such changes. The current devs...well I'll just skip my comments here.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2018, 11:07:09 by tholuneve »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #18 on: 19 July 2018, 13:05:19 »
bit off topic here:

the thing is nordic team are working on alot of games at same time, if we had a perma dev team , most of thing could be different, but anyway they did a great job on this game, aniversary edition, active patchs and current expac, but who knows the future.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: 19 July 2018, 21:21:12 »
I agree with what sauruz said, the devs did a good job with AE. However, I would also agree that Nordic team can pay more attention to what players have to say. Imo, with more communication and more creative thinking this game can really rise from the shadow of Grim Dawn and stand for its own again. It's an 11 years old game, so what? Who cares about the age of a masterpiece?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Prosoro

• Forum Moderator
  • Formerly 'Nefer' of the tq.net forums.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 20 July 2018, 13:25:16 »

Never seen this 'Giants Tooth' op item but meh I never really go for the most powerful and popular best-in-slot items personally.  For me, sure damage is nice and of course necessary, but I really enjoy finding items that aesthetically are awesome (..which is why you'll never find me using the ugly Folg mace even though everyone raves about them) and also make for weird and interesting play styles.  Added to this is the challenge of making such items work to their full potential combined with my particular builds. 

As for Ragnarok items I'm only playing through it for the 2nd time recently (still in normal) and from what I've found I've been pretty happy with my finds.  Especially liking all the Proc-type skills on many of the blues > something that was distinctly lacking in Titan Quest's items prior to this expansion, we had a few but Nordic have amped this up! If anything, I feel like the MI's are a hit and miss - seems like compared to vanilla TQ MI's they are mostly mediocre.. this is funny though because it's like the flip side here where instead of the MI's being the most sought after items now, at least imo, the unique blues are much better and indeed worthy of that 'epic' status. 

Also, going back to aesthetics imo the item art for the original Titan Quest was next level with just the overall look and detail - I'm talking about both equipped on your character and the bitmap art in your inventory.  Ragnarok item art is not bad.. idk, I like nordic/viking gear but it just looks flat to me.  I know they did improve the art a bit with patches since the initial release but yeah, that's my thoughts on that.

...this game can really rise from the shadow of Grim Dawn and stand for its own again. It's an 11 years old game, so what? Who cares about the age of a masterpiece?

Definitely agree with this.  Grim Dawn is so good, but people love adventuring in lands of historical mythology and finding sweet myth-flavoured items! It's a key part of what makes TQ so awesome and the Nordic team could take the Titan Quest IP further for sure.  Also, I'm still legitimately amazed at the graphics when I load it up, and this game came out in 2006! 

~  Anything new for TQ? Experience what Unearthed Studios NZ has been up to with the release of Eternal Embers! - Website: https://www.unearthedstudiosnz.com/ ~

Lurking no more..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: 20 July 2018, 20:21:46 »
Slayer, what kind of slayer? Hunting is a mastery with sizable marksmanship tree and several skills related to pierce, then warfare is similarly sizable onslaught tree and dual wield melee WPS. If you take either of these out you are left with a big pool of unspent points that will have to go to skills like battle rage or ancestral horn for no better alternatives.

Totally agreed..

Never seen this 'Giants Tooth' op item but meh I never really go for the most powerful and popular best-in-slot items personally.  For me, sure damage is nice and of course necessary, but I really enjoy finding items that aesthetically are awesome (..which is why you'll never find me using the ugly Folg mace even though everyone raves about them) and also make for weird and interesting play styles.  Added to this is the challenge of making such items work to their full potential combined with my particular builds. 

I like nordic/viking gear but it just looks flat to me.

Totally agreed..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 28 July 2018, 20:35:37 »

Totally agreed..

bit of necro.. but sorry i don't understand this.. dual wield does not lock you to non-piercing weapons (axe or club).. a combination of slow but strong club and fast sword is a well known dual weapon combo.. also, a dual wield slayer is a well known melee glass cannon before ragnarok came out.. that said, i don't think it's the ideal build for a slayer.. i think it's still spear + shield.. that or dual throwing (for ragnarok)

edit: i mean there are many skills to spend points on: onslaught tree, art of the hunt and the dodge projectile skill, call of the hunt tree, dual wield tree, battle standard tree, ancestral warriors, war horn, etc. i mean you can get dual wield + the piercing skills, you don't have to take 1 out

ps: what is WPS? ???
« Last Edit: 28 July 2018, 20:45:19 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #23 on: 28 July 2018, 21:31:42 »
what is WPS? ???
It stands for weapon pool skills. Volley and dual wield passives are WPS. Lets compare abbreviations then? link

bit of necro.. but sorry i don't understand this..
A single sword is not much piercing to bother. What it means is that as a slayer, you will likely end up using both ranged and melee weapons. Piercing ranged and melee either also piercing or pure physical, however you like. And swap weapons. If you take either of them out it is a big portion of the skill tree, and there are not many other skills in two masteriers worth spending points to warrant this. With both marksmanship and onslaught you will also still have battle standard, war horn, call of the hunt etc all necessary support maxed anyway. For taking DW WPS too it might be necessary to get rid of ensnare, points in marksmanship main and maybe few in war horn. But still pretty much enough for everything when around level 75

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 28 July 2018, 22:20:11 »
what is WPS? ???
It stands for weapon pool skills. Volley and dual wield passives are WPS.
ah got it so basically procs for LMB skills, right?

A single sword is not much piercing to bother.
it's still better than battle rage.. but i get what you mean and i agree.. i think the reason why some people choose club + sword is because with 2 swords, it's easy to get way over 200% attack speed.. it happened to me before too with another character.. but instead of replacing 1 sword with a club, i replaced my amulet instead with resist attributes.. i think i still had it over 200% when onslaught activates, but i still think it's better than club + sword

edit: checked tq-db, it was pendant of immortal rage.. i replaced it with...  something with resists.. so in short i sacrificed DPS in favor of resists because with 2 swords, my attack speed was way over 200% even without onslaught

hmm maybe i made the wrong decision maybe sword + club was better heh  ;D like folg maybe

edit 2: it's an assassin iirc.. I've had 3 different assassins since TQIT
« Last Edit: 28 July 2018, 23:02:44 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: 17 August 2018, 23:19:08 »
i don't think this is poorly thought out.. but it's too weird

looks good for a mage.. until you see the requirements
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #26 on: 26 August 2018, 09:34:17 »
https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/huntsmans-barb
That one is a spear with increase in projectile speed... Maybe it works with spells ?
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2018, 11:01:24 »
https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/huntsmans-barb
That one is a spear with increase in projectile speed... Maybe it works with spells ?

Yes. Stuff like Ice shards and Ensnare will fly faster.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 27 August 2018, 03:59:37 »
i don't think this is poorly thought out.. but it's too weird

looks good for a mage.. until you see the requirements

Now probably suitable for Runesmith.
Runesmith has high int but zero ele%, has req reduction for str armor, already have a lot of resistances from both masteries.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #29 on: 27 August 2018, 06:59:37 »
Runemaster zero %elemental?  You're kidding, right? 

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal