Author Topic: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)  (Read 96115 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)
« on: 11 April 2018, 19:32:37 »
Played the original version a lot, even played it a lot when it come out on Steam.

Now this.
Seems the difficulty got a huge buff this time around because daaamn...

Tried a Conqueror and currently trying an Oracle, both get stuck at the beginning of Act IV
Starts out slow, gets easier and then the difficulty stops being a curve and turns into a wall when I hit Typhon.
I barely make it and then Act IV just destroys me. This is on normal by the way, not Epic or the next one over.

My only journey into epic difficulty in the original game was as a brigand and I simply dodged everything and shot every target full of arrows.
Same with Hades and Typhon. Let off an arrow, dodge projectile, let off an arrow, etc.
Doubt that would work now and it probably wasn't the best strat anyway.

I've played this game a hell of a lot but I wouldn't say I'm amazing or anything (far from it)

Anniverary Edition kicking my ass, unsure if I'll ever play the new dlc.
I'd rather not start a new character and jump straight to it either.

I do enjoy all the new stuff to the base game though like the hero monsters that are always in certain locations.
Just wish normal didn't feel like epic.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)
« Reply #1 on: 11 April 2018, 21:32:33 »
maybe you just have to farm for some good gear.. farm for good weapon and shields.. try the merchants
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2018, 00:38:01 »
In addition to shop runs for green items, it's wise to know before engaging a boss what kind of gear you should wear, i mean the resistances you have to search for.

This link is helpful for boss damage types:
       https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-bosses-and-damage-types-guide-by-poinas/
Some regular mobs can also be deadly when not prepared, ex elder centaurs if you don't have stun resists, this link give you some tips:
       https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-monster-types-that-cause-problems-faq-by-matseb2611/
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 00:43:11 by Tauceti »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12 April 2018, 01:05:30 »
hey i like that 2nd link.. it's a shame i haven't read that before.. maybe we can open a similar discussion here in this forum and also including act 5
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #4 on: 12 April 2018, 04:30:21 »
Welcome to the Tqfans forums!
Not steam forums :/ got used to greeting people on steam as well
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 04:34:19 by Typhon »
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 12 April 2018, 08:09:53 »
In addition to shop runs for green items, it's wise to know before engaging a boss what kind of gear you should wear, i mean the resistances you have to search for.

The only one I know of that always one-shots me that I can't dodge no matter what is Hades with all that vitality damage.
Seriously, trying to outrun the aoe that is faster than you and suddenly try to dodge many projectiles which leads you into the aoe when you do and there's never a break when he doesn't do it so you can attack...... Typhon is just as relentless, don't think he uses melee anymore, just keeps using his abilities over and over with no breathing room.

Right now doing an Oracle and I do search for jewellry with pet bonuses but I try to find ones with other effects too rather than just basic ones.

Edit: Ok early Act IV is kicking my ass completely. I haven't died yet but my pets have. Many, many times.....
I have to resort to letting myself get mobbed and lose tons of health so I can ternion everything to death.

At this rate, I may as well have wasted my money on Ragnarok because I'm never getting to it.

Starting to think there's not a single gameplay style that works for me.

I'm probably the only player who can't get past normal difficulty.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 20:23:00 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 12 April 2018, 21:07:10 »
Decided to just go back to making a Conqueror from the beginning, a mage type is just too weak for normal Act IV
Why the devs felt they needed to buff enemies into oblivion I'll never know, this isn't supposed to be Epic or Legendary.

At least with a Conqueror I can use my safe(ish) tactic I like to call "Divide and Conqueror". In other words, carefully aggro one or two enemies from a group, drag them away and kill them. Rince and repeat.
Will probably still get wrecked in Act IV (normal)

With my last Conqueror, basic enemies went down fast though bosses were slow. Just barely killed Typhon though even with fully maxed colossus form, battle standard and 75% vitality resist (I used so many health potions on that fight just to stay alive)
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 21:13:49 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 12 April 2018, 21:31:47 »
Try to find a green ligthning (or cold) staff of the devouring in shops, this will give you X% attack damage converted to health and with ternion it should greatly improves your survivability (and you can also socket the staff with anubis relic rather than zeus for example). Morover, don't search for pet items, it's useless for an oracle. Plato rings (%int, %energy) are much more needed in your case.You may have energy regen problems but hecate socketed in your rings should resolve your mana problem (i guess that you don't have skill points to spare in dark covenant yet). Finally, if you can't outrun hades orbs, then try to find boots with %movement speed and socket the boots with hermes relic. Mobility for casters is a mandatory key for survivability.

At late act 4, your level should be around 40, here is an example of oracle build based on ternion, which can handle the entire act.
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc6eba6eba6eba.html?mastery=Oracle&master1=2&master2=8&sa=4&m1=32-1-0-12-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-6-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0&m2=32-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-0-0-6-8-0-0-1-1-0-8-0-0

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 12 April 2018, 21:35:07 »
Think I'm only at level 32 or something.
Tried the build you mentioned as well as the gear suggestions. I'm faring no better, enemies take ages to take down, wisp pet dies every 5 seconds and I'm still chugging energy and health potions every 5 seconds. Maxed Squall barely does anything and there are far too many projectiles to dodge to make it useful.
« Last Edit: 12 April 2018, 22:05:55 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 12 April 2018, 22:18:00 »
actually casters are pretty strong in normal.. squall and shards alone can finish act 4 with the help of nothing but pots.. but it's obvious you're still feeling your way in AE because you have problems with both tank and casters.. but it's ok, once you get the hang of it you're good.. me i always play casters self-found or not.. but my casters are different, i always wear shields and i rely on spells.. that is true caster for me.. this might seem weird but i prefer casters because i hate dying.. i value survivability that's why i prefer casters.. my custom name should say it all :)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 12 April 2018, 23:03:33 »
If "enemies take ages to take down" with ternion it means that you really have a poor staff or you struggle with energy so that you can't spam ternion.

Lvl 32 is somewhat early to begin with act 4 if you play self-found. Take your time and make some farming or shop runs. Sooner or later you will find medium gear and then good gear. Be patient, learn from monster damage types and Titan quest will reward you with great moments  ;)

Also try different builds, another gameplay can suit you more. The icesharder suggestion from @botebote77 is a nice idea: you will have a shield, this should improve your survivability.

Regarding Hades, keep in mind that its damages are roughly 50% vitality, 50% physical so find a hallowed helm from stores, socket a ring with demon's blood and you are ready to fight Hades, provided that you have good shoes to outrun orbs.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 13 April 2018, 01:55:43 »
@Tauceti why no spell breaker? even 1pt each is a life saver

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=263.msg2379#msg2379
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #12 on: 13 April 2018, 09:21:09 »
I think epic had always been simpler than normal because you had functional build by that time, while monsters weren't really dangerous yet.

The only one I know of that always one-shots me that I can't dodge no matter what is Hades with all that vitality damage.
Sounds like you need demon's blood on jewellery, or even two of them normal ones, to cap vit resist. Hades has one oneshot move well telegraphed, and then the rest of his attacks aren't dangerous given you have appropriate resist and health pool.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 13 April 2018, 10:20:56 »
My only journey into epic difficulty in the original game was as a brigand and I simply dodged everything and shot every target full of arrows.

AE is a bit different, but mostly though, you just shafted yourself by playing the most overpowered build before AE, that since AE has been the most nerfed  ;D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2018, 10:47:24 »
AE is a bit different, but mostly though, you just shafted yourself by playing the most overpowered build before AE, that since AE has been the most nerfed  ;D

It's not like I was any good with it anyway, I'm possibly the worst gamer ever.

People can say a build is op or impossible to kill all they like, I can make it look like that isn't the case.

I think epic had always been simpler than normal because you had functional build by that time, while monsters weren't really dangerous yet.
I don't know if that's going to be the same for me though.

If "enemies take ages to take down" with ternion it means that you really have a poor staff or you struggle with energy so that you can't spam ternion.
Not so much the damage though I'm not exactly one-shotting things.
It's just that enemies move around a lot, then there's one with shields or the projectiles pass over them or they just have lots of resistences.

Lvl 32 is somewhat early to begin with act 4 if you play self-found. Take your time and make some farming or shop runs. Sooner or later you will find medium gear and then good gear.
Dunno what levels the game expects me to be in when I do every quest I find and uncover ever part of the map so I end up killing everything.
Also I have no luck with farming so I'd just be wasting time.

Also try different builds, another gameplay can suit you more.
I think I've pretty much tried everything.
In any kind of game I've played, I've been crap in any kind of playstyle.

Sorry if this post is all over the place with quotes and stuff.

With time playing this game, I may only have 148 hours in AE but I have 689 in the original (plus IT) on Steam and god only knows how many on the old physical copy.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2018, 10:49:59 by Deepblue »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal