Author Topic: Spear and shuriken slayer build showcase  (Read 11842 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
Spear and shuriken slayer build showcase
« on: 19 July 2018, 23:52:44 »
This is a slayer build using throwing weapons and a spear in equal proportion. It resembles older TQIT hunting piercing damage builds but uses some new weapon sets. I started this one long ago but was originally using bone darts not having most of the newer gear at the time.

Build goes approx 1 : 1 str : dex until ~level 65, then all dexterity. 2 stat points spent in health, 10 points in energy, thats all normal and epic stat point quest rewards.

TitanCalc

Fully buffed DPS (call of the hunt and battle standard)

Bone darts can do much better in numbers
Spoiler for Hiden:

thanks to double Valor of Achilles, however, what they do not have compared to Jagged Silk is volley WPS. Build already has it from the mastery, but two weapons add more and these stack with each other, making the chance of its proc go up. Since build is also dual wielding them, that makes for a good chance to throw 6 projectiles with one click. Jagged Silk also has adcth, though 5% is rather low and not enough for good sustain, but it still allows to not use adcth on any other items. For me it freed the necklace slot, allowing to put there an item with projectile evasion.

Switching weapons provides an opportunity to capitalize on evasion and projectile evasion accessible for the class from dodge attack and find cover skills.  These are around 30% with +skills. Zeno's paradox shield brings both to 50%. Then some other gear can bring that even higher, with my necklace I have 66% chance to avoid projectiles. Onslaught skill with ignore pain modifier also adds physical and pierce resistance when it has charges, making physical go up to 33% and pierce to 80% cap. Not only this makes a character into tank without super high defensive ability, its also the best (and only) defense from ranged mobs available to the class. Which is important for a throwing weapons build not using good crowd control skills, especially when going against undead archers whom you can't leech life from.

Gear screens and explanation
Spoiler for Hiden:

Chest - Prowlers cuirass - nothing new or special here, high resist item with stew of Eldhrimnir for mana regen

Head - Tracker's hood - very popular item from the set with high %pierce damage modifier and - recharge

Legs - Tracker's leg guard - used together with the helm for its own resists and set bonus

Arms - Stonebinder's cuffs with rage of Ares- easy +3 skills for a dexterity build, rage of Ares is a potent damage booster for physical and pierce builds

Necklace - common item with honor guard's of guile and demon's blood - valuable pierce resistance and chance to avoid projectiles. Pierce resistance is valuable to withstand your own damage from reflect mobs too. Going from 52% chance to avoid projectiles to 66% does not seem like a lot, but its actually going from half of all arrows missing to 2/3 of them missing, quite a change.

Ring 1 - Appollo's will - popular option with %pierce damage modifier and resistances

Ring 2 - common item with hale of power prefix and suffix and demon's blood - some %str and %health and a little mana

Artifact - Star of Ishtar - +20% str is a DPS boost, +20% dexterity is not only that but also +1 OA and DA for every point of dexterity it gives, and thats alot. 15% physical resistance, 25% elemental, such a pretty item

Main ranged weapons - Jagged Silk - a throwing weapon with high piercing ratio, life steal and volley proc

Melee weapon - Blacksteel spike with devouring suffix and valor of Achilles - not the most impressive stats but doing well, life steal on it is necessary

Shield - Zeno's third paradox - 20% chance to dodge attacks and projectiles

Having fun with black elves in Muspelheim:

« Last Edit: 04 September 2018, 03:37:55 by mammoth_hunter »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Spear and shuriken slayer build showcase
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2018, 15:19:49 »
Nice guide. I like original and flexible characters. :)

- so you’re using Throwing Knives, Spears and bows, your titancalc show you’ve maxed the whole Marksmanship tree ^^. Wow! Your Slayer is  a one-man army! But did you use Bows a lot in your playthrough? If not, I would buy back some point to increase "Flush Out" and reduce monster’s resists more,

- you’ve put one point into "War Wind" but not in it’s synergy "Lacerate". I like Lacerate because it increases the number of targets. Maybe you’re using War Wind just to move faster between mobs?,

- no love for Ancestral Horn, hey? ^^,

« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 15:21:25 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2018, 22:32:44 »
- so you’re using Throwing Knives, Spears and bows, your titancalc show you’ve maxed the whole Marksmanship tree ^^. Wow! Your Slayer is  a one-man army! But did you use Bows a lot in your playthrough?

No I'm not using bows, its either this or throwing weapons. But I did during leveling. You see, most throwing weapons in shops have little to none piercing and when you invest primarily in piercing damage that translates into poor DPS. Thus some bows for leveling are in place. Bone darts are an act I weapon and become obsolete wery fast in normal and even epic.

you’ve put one point into "War Wind" but not in it’s synergy "Lacerate". I like Lacerate because it increases the number of targets. Maybe you’re using War Wind just to move faster between mobs?,
Good catch - I was sure lacerate affects swords and axes only, but see there are spears actually mentioned in description. Maybe it was changed later, anyway it might warrant maxing main skill too for points currently in battle rage.

- no love for Ancestral Horn, hey? ^^,
I don't know, some people seem to like them in melee builds but it just screams inefficient. These are pets. Summoner knows what to do with them, the rest - ?? In the worst case of a well optimised build they are just lagging behind.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2018, 11:11:57 »
...Good catch - I was sure lacerate affects swords and axes only, but see there are spears actually mentioned in description. Maybe it was changed later, anyway it might warrant maxing main skill too for points currently in battle rage...

Well! You're going to love War Wind + Spears ;D:

- When you use War Wind with 2 weapons (and put at least one point into Dual Wield) you'll hit enemies once,

-  but with a Spear you'll hit Monsters twice! \o/

Furthermore with the Anniversary Edition Lacerate finally works with Spears.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2018, 11:13:47 by CrocMagnum »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal