Author Topic: Rune Mastery Test Observations  (Read 9992 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Rune Mastery Test Observations
« on: 08 December 2017, 01:41:50 »
alright finally got to some testing.. here are my observations:

note: these tests are done with the help of defiler.. all are only personal observations so i have no way of saying all are 100% correct

the 2 menhir skills are completely different skills in that you cast each separately.. that is so not TQ-like (it was present in mods but never in vanilla)

thunder strike shoots extra lightning to nearby enemies if you use melee weapons.. but if you use projectile weapons, it shoots 5 projectiles instead of the lightning strike (shoots 10 if you use 2 throwing weapons)

runeword: feather affects strength requirements for shields

now onto elemental conversion:

note: I did not trust my DPS from these tests so all of these are pure observations from repeated testing

onslaught is better than rune weapon for strength based chars.. however getting int allows us to reach 80% CDR much easier

onslaught dissipates faster than rune weapon

%physical from onslaught does not seem to boost rune weapon with maxed transmutation (99% converted to elemental).. which leads me to believe that %physical happens AFTER the conversion to elemental.. and if so, any %physical from skills or items has no effect on maxed transmutation

rune weapon with maxed transmutation (99% converted to elemental) does not seem to crit (or if it does, the 1% damage not converted is negligible)

very high strength seems useless if you have maxed transmutation (which kind of validates my theory that %physical happens after the conversion).. DPS stat sheet says increase in damage but observation says otherwise.. i tried hitting satyrs in legendary with very low str/int/dex.. damage is of course puny.. i increased my str to 1k+, damage is still puny.. i tried very low str and 1k+ int, damage is good

i tried to test pierce conversion but i just can't see any noticeable difference.. increasing dex says increased damage in DPS stat sheet, but i can't see any noticeable difference from observation, even when i put my dex at 1k+.. the weird thing is i also can't see any noticeable difference when i put transmutation at lvl 0.. so i can't make any conclusion regarding pierce conversion (but a wild guess would be that even the pierce gets converted to elemental)

edit: a dev answered this question on steam

https://steamcommunity.com/app/475150/discussions/0/1499000547486549440/

so, what I'm taking is if you have 99% converted to elemental, and you use a spear with 25% pierce, only 25% of the remaining 1% gets converted to pierce
« Last Edit: 13 December 2017, 22:49:19 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cleglaw

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Rune Mastery Test Observations
« Reply #1 on: 09 December 2017, 12:16:22 »
Here are a few more observations.
The portal at Mt. Olympus is now accessible making it possible to do Typhon runs whenever you want without needing to resort to the Defiler.

Thrown weapons have less range than bows, but are much faster. Thrown weapons are very powerful. There are unique thrown weapons with no level requirement and reasonably easy stat requirements that decimate monsters.

Starting out in the new areas with a brand new level 40 character is difficult for an untwinked toon.

If you rearrange your inventory using the button (as opposed to doing it manually) all of your uncombined relics and charms will now automatically combine.

The last dying words of Dominique Bouhours, French grammarian
"I am about to — or I am going to — die: either expression is correct."

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cleglaw

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2017, 04:14:26 »
I just learned another one today.
The Rune Weapon skill, used on the left mouse button does not work with a staff; it does not mention that in the skill description.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2017, 19:42:01 »
Yeah, works with everything but staves.  :(  I also think that Runeword: Explode/Burn only works if you have Rune Weapon so using the Runeword with Marksmanship for a Dragon Hunter probably won't work - shame.  I was looking forward to seeing burning, exploding fragments flying off Scatter Shot.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 19 December 2017, 02:58:27 »
Yeah, works with everything but staves.  :(  I also think that Runeword: Explode/Burn only works if you have Rune Weapon so using the Runeword with Marksmanship for a Dragon Hunter probably won't work - shame.  I was looking forward to seeing burning, exploding fragments flying off Scatter Shot.
based on my tests, runeword:explode works with onslaught.. based on that, i see no reason why it wouldnt work with marksmanship.. i also found that only dual wield works with throwing weapons.. hew, cross cut and tumult does not

edit: still, max dual wield and reckless offense with +4 almost always procs
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 04:02:10 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cleglaw

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 19 December 2017, 05:53:43 »
It works with Marksmanship.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #6 on: 19 December 2017, 07:39:29 »
Good to know Cleglaw.  At least one build idea isn't screwed.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2017, 07:55:22 »
one more observation.. based on piercing conversion being multiplicative and not additive

http://titanquest.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_Honing

also because if you get transmutation to 99%, then add another elemental conversion from an item, and the DPS shows slight increase in damage.. i have good reason to believe that elemental conversion is multiplicative and not additive

meaning one can get elemental conversion to 99.xxxx% but never really 100%

it also explains why SilentMeteor in this thread gets increase in DPS when he's seemingly stacking over 100% elemental conversion
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 08:45:04 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2018, 03:09:51 »
one more observation.. based on piercing conversion being multiplicative and not additive

http://titanquest.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_Honing

also because if you get transmutation to 99%, then add another elemental conversion from an item, and the DPS shows slight increase in damage.. i have good reason to believe that elemental conversion is multiplicative and not additive

meaning one can get elemental conversion to 99.xxxx% but never really 100%

it also explains why SilentMeteor in this thread gets increase in DPS when he's seemingly stacking over 100% elemental conversion
Hello I am SilentMeteor.
Blade Honing does not grant pierce ratio, it grants +X% pierce ratio. It's just like physical damage and +X% physical damage and they are literally two stats. So I guess that's not a good example on how elemental conversion works.
I have tested pre-1.50, 1.50 and 1.51, all results shows that the conversion rate can exceed 100%. This is not just qualitative result but quantitative. I will test again on 1.52 and release full formula of elemental conversion dps calculation.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2018, 03:21:17 »
For runesmiths i have noticed that using thunder strike on left mouse button works better than batter. It does recharge slightly slower but its damage and effects are significantly better. Also you can have thunder strike on a keybind and still use batter on left mouse click, but its harder to spam thunderstrike that way. Also there is a skill that says it works with core dweller, apparently it also works WITHOUT the core dweller (?)
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2018, 03:23:18 »
This might seem like an obvious thing, but energy shield does break whenever you receive the maximum amount of damage it can hold off, it is not an infinite shield that deducts the indicated damage whenever you receive an attack, which makes it kinda useless actually.
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2018, 04:00:21 »
Energy Armor is deceptive.

It's easy to dismiss it as useless early on, but as you keep putting points into it, with some bonus to skills its damage absorption reaches epic proportions. (It took me ample amount of +skills and a Shrine of Mastery to find out about this.)

At ten points, it absorbs 3076 damage. It does have an energy cost of 1538, which is a hindrance, but if your energy pool is big and/or you have a lot of cost reduction, it might work out. It's not the same thing as Heat Shield or Energy Shield, but I find it has its applications. It can give you a lot of extra time to finish some opponents off if you know they're coming, and if you apply Energy Armor (which has no duration, mind) and then proceed to play and watch out for enemy attacks as usual, it can last for quite a while and serve as a very useful safety net should something go awry. The fact that it has a quite audible sound effect and accompanying visual for breaking also helps, as it sends the signal that it's time to retreat, reapply the skill, or just be more careful.

Prohibitive and cumbersome? I'll agree, it is. But I wouldn't consider it useless.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2018, 04:13:30 »
Hello I am SilentMeteor.
i didn't know that :o
yes blade honing does not grant pierce ratio, it grants increased pierce ratio (multiplicatively, not additively so not like +X% physical damage)

it's just that a dev confirmed it caps at 100% so I'm sticking with that for the moment.. but yeah do your own tests.. i also do some testing of my own

edit: yeah energy armor is not useless.. it's far from giving you immortality but it definitely is not useless.. I'm looking to make it a key skill for my skinchanger

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=182.0

relying on golden fleece, pelaron, and sanctuary to be able to cast it at max level without putting a single point on energy
« Last Edit: 19 January 2018, 04:43:16 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal