Author Topic: Earth and Rune  (Read 24127 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Earth and Rune
« Reply #30 on: 28 July 2018, 16:10:40 »
@oldage

You mean throwing weapons, or do you actually mean as a Magician using throwing knives?

The trick for a throwing weapon based Stonespeaker is actually getting two of these:

One could say that with the limitted range one might still just as well go melee, but Thunder Strike works differently for melee, and by differently I mean vastly inferior to the 10 projectiles you get from dual wielding throwing weapons.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: 29 July 2018, 00:27:57 »
I started as a Pyro, saw all the knives so added Rune as secondary, thus Stonespeaker. Not very far up the Rune mastery.
My main weapon is Volcanic Orb. Only use knives on the ones Orb doesn't kill. It will be a long time before i get high enough to find one of those knives.
I'm only in Normal, Rhodes. Using knife and shield. The only deaths I had was due to losing the pointer and couldn't move.
I'm not using Thunder Strike. Never played using Rune. Everything I have, is as I go along.
Always glad to get any information.
Thanks

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Mook

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #32 on: 29 July 2018, 08:13:34 »
Congrats for doing so well. I'm finding knives not that great. With such short range, might as well be melee.
I haven't played any lately as get ready to go to my home in Florida. Like to spend my summers with my son in Tennessee.
Wont get back at it until mid August

Thanks! Enjoy your summer in the real world.  :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2018, 17:31:01 »
I started as a Pyro, saw all the knives so added Rune as secondary, thus Stonespeaker. Not very far up the Rune mastery.
Thats actually the wrong way to do it if you want to attack rather than cast spells. Rune weapon skill needs points to do any satisfactory damage. Its best started as rune, then you put 3 points in skills and 3 points in mastery bar every other level until masteries are maxed. At around level 40 that would be both masteries maxed, rune weapon half maxed, and most others skills as one pointers. Rune weapon except energy drain can then be fully maxed at around level 45 or so. Dragon hunter I was playing got respectable 4K DPS at the beginning of epic with a vendor grade weapon much like what I told you

Basically its overleveling one single skill ahead of the curve. And if you are not even going into legendary, you won't even reach the point when it becomes less overpowered.

Once around level 40 and act 5 normal it won't be very important what you started with though, with both masteries maxed you can just move points around at mystic.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 30 July 2018, 22:37:25 »
Thanks, I appreciate your help. Never thought of a second mastery. I can usually play through Normal as a Pyro without much problem. Stopped at Rhodes as leaving for home next Monday.
It was only because i saw all the knives, that weren't in the original game that I decided on Rune. I see Croc has updated his guide, used it years ago, may give it a try again. I'm at level 28
I will keep all this in mind when I get home and download TQA. Since I will be starting from nothing again what I'm doing now is moot.
At that time I will take all the advice I'm getting into consideration. to quote Baal. Will start with everything new, game and vault. Some where at home may find my old characters to look at.
Will follow Forum until I leave.
Thanks again
« Last Edit: 30 July 2018, 22:39:46 by oldage »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Mook

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #35 on: 04 August 2018, 12:26:15 »
Whew! I've just beaten Manticore with my sword and board, the first boss I've struggled with since Olympus Typhon, and since then, I haven't upgraded my ranged damage. It took a lot of dying, and I lost a few tombstones too.
I like going into new things cold, so last session I just went splat. This time I watched the videos, upgraded my resists and went down for round 2.  And did a lot more watching his emotes as I hid under the rock, between dyings.
What worked was, run in when he didn't look like pouncing, throw a Seal of Fate (have a lot of points in aftershock) , start whacking until the pounce, Stoneform, on waking, throw a SoF for luck and RUN AWAY, until Stoneform is recharged, and repeat. Took another couple of deaths until it worked with three cycles.

I'm pretty hopeless at dodging and fighting, which is why I decided to stick close. If it didn't work, I would have respec'ed to boost Eruption and the primary volcanic orb and tried to keep clear.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: 04 August 2018, 15:55:23 »
Mook, I know how you feel, my reaction time is really slow. Most of the time while I'm thinking about moving, I'm dead. The main reason I play with a bow or anything that can keep me far far away. Each year it gets worse.
While looking around on this computer found an old character that had been saved It was half way thru Epic with 50 death.
In Grim Dawn, played a Reflect character. Didn't have to worry about reaction time. Was the last character I played on it.
Keep up the good work. I leave here Monday, should be back at it in a couple weeks. On a much faster computer

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal