Author Topic: Soon we should buy hosting, domain and maybe more stuff  (Read 6502 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Soon we should buy hosting, domain and maybe more stuff
« on: 20 November 2017, 13:53:40 »
Before tqfans project even started, kja12 and I knew that this moment is coming. Nothing in this world is for free. We are using free hosting and soon we will have to buy hosting and official domain without this http://titanquestfans.byethost11.com/smf so it will go like http://titanquestfans. something. I think the simplest way is to open patreon account for donations, or maybe paypal, or both. What we will need now is a list with people who are willing to donate so in short time when donations are ready and accounts prepared to accept money and later pay for making site official, we will have this site free and stable. I'm not sure how much it will cost, it can go from minimum 50e, to maximum 100 or 200e, some basic stuff. At least I think it will be like that.

Opinions on this?
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Malgardian

• Spectre
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Soon we should buy hosting, domain and maybe more stuff
« Reply #1 on: 20 November 2017, 14:08:22 »
Are those 50€ annually or monthly?

Creator of the Patchfix for Fanpatch 1.17

~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2017, 14:14:54 »
It should be per year for hosting, for domain no idea, but it should not much cost domain, for other things I'll talk with some people.
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2017, 20:58:16 »
Is this because free hosting is only for a specified length of time?  Or that you and kaj12 feel we need to be more "professional looking with a prominent domain name" as someone said on the GD site?  50Euros a year sounds very cheap to me for hosting - would be great if it's correct though.  I've never heard of Patreon so probably PayPal would be better, but again may depend on how much they cost to set up and maintain.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2017, 23:34:19 »
N/A
« Last Edit: 26 November 2017, 21:31:55 by Typhon »
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2017, 00:47:56 »
It is supposed to be just forum, not with server. For servers for example for games you have to pay monthly more than 50e to keep it alive. We can have later server for multiplayer games, but for that are needed professionals to keep project.

Is this because free hosting is only for a specified length of time? Or that you and kaj12 feel we need to be more "professional looking with a prominent domain name" as someone said on the GD site?
We have limited resources atm, 5gb memory, and many other limits like 50 000 hits (clicks) per day I think. I personally don't care if something is professional or not, but this thing with forums work that way, buying official domain is necessary and should be cheap, also there are some other things which we can buy to have nice forum like paying someone to make this theme responsive, which means to be good on all devices.
« Last Edit: 21 November 2017, 00:49:54 by efko »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2017, 20:53:26 »
So I have to ask, do we have donators so we can make progress? It will be good to solve hosting and domain and to give this forum stability. If anyone is willing to support forum progress, contact me on discord or via private message, or post in this topic. I'll give details later because at this point that may be wrong decision to post in public.

http://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=9.0
« Last Edit: 09 January 2018, 14:52:54 by kja12 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2017, 03:36:41 »
Excuse my ignorance how much is a euro in USA

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Typhon

• Xul
  • TQ Titans
  • Sometimes you just gotta march on Mount Olympus.
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -6
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2017, 05:27:08 »
1 euro is equal to 1.19 USD according to Google search.
Your inventory is full *Plays intense game of tetris*
Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Malgardian

• Spectre
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2017, 17:48:58 »
Do you plan to make a Patreon now, or do you want to use another method?

Creator of the Patchfix for Fanpatch 1.17

~~ "Many Kings. Many Empires. Many Gods. Many Gods. All Gone. All Things Go." ~~
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 28 November 2017, 19:41:49 »
Do you plan to make a Patreon now, or do you want to use another method?
I was advised to try Payoneer (also Patreon and PayPal are on my mind, but questionable), but I'm new in all this and I'm not sure what and how much can cost me. Atm I'm without idea how to make things because of 0 experience with online payments, regulations/laws. I found host for 4e per month and 40e per year with very solid offer, with limits 6 GB disk space and 75 GB bandwidth (bandwidth restart each month) and for breaking limits - diskspace and bandwidth: €0.75 / 1GB diskspace €0.40 / 1 GB bandwidth. Also domain is about 10e per year or maybe there is a way to buy permanent domain, host offered to do it for us and we can have support from him since he is the one of the very valuable members from simple machines. So atm there are 2 problems, I don't have a money, with monthly salary which is about 200e it is expensive for me to go to unknown where expenses may be expected and 2nd thing I'm not sure how to pay.
Also this stays on hosting service: "Prices excluding VAT. Taxes are applicable to EU residents."
« Last Edit: 28 November 2017, 19:44:19 by efko »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal