Author Topic: Getting Started and Improving Playstyle  (Read 1783 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
Getting Started and Improving Playstyle
« on: 25 April 2020, 06:10:50 »
After numerous playthroughs of Diablo II, and numerous attempts at Titan Quest, I've come to see that Titan Quest is an overall much more difficult game. To me, the difficulty feels uneven because even the monsters at the start of the game can pose a challenge. Apparently, even the satyrs and boards are much stronger than even the Fallen in Diablo II. I feel like I'm not doing enough damage. Weapons with fast attack speed don't deal enough and stronger weapons don't attack fast enough. And some of the enemies deal more damage to me than I to them. Some of the earlier bosses I struggle against such as Nessus.

On previous playthroughs, I used to pick up and sell everything, making frequent trips back to town to pawn off my inventory, but eventually, that got tedious. And like I do in Diablo II, I tend to re-explore previously explored places in new games to get more loot and experience. And even though I'm spending most of my skill points on the masteries, I still feel underpowered much of the time. Even when I successfully took a Conqueror through Immortal Throne years ago I felt like I wasn't doing enough damage and taking too much, frequently drinking healing potions. I find myself asking if I'm doing something wrong with the way I play the game.

Some players use mods, but I don't want to because I'm a purist. I tend to play on normal speed because anything faster than that is too fast for me. I have difficulty making good equipment choices and determining which piece is overall better. Like I do in Diablo II, I focus on trying to improve my character's resistances.

I have looked online at beginner's guides and videos, but they don't seem too helpful for me. So I now turn to the Titan Quest community on how to improve my playstyle.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Getting Started and Improving Playstyle
« Reply #1 on: 25 April 2020, 08:24:51 »
We need to see what you're playing and how you've spent your points.  Use tqcalc.com for the AE version of the game or titancalc.com for the disc version. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline AlcyonV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 25 April 2020, 10:27:47 »
This feeling could be normal if you play self-found for items. Many players who rush through the game have lot of great stuff from previous play-throughs stored in vaults or mules. Their new characters are twinked with those items and they don't struggle at all until high difficulty levels. That's another game...

Conqueror is a easy to understand and to play class (not so much active skills, simple melee gameplay, attribute points to Dex and Str, only one type of damage...) but not so easy to manage : you often lack of damage in early game. It's a good way to rise mastery bars up but don't forget to boost one or two attack skills (e.g passive shield attacks, Batter, Onslaught) until you feel powerfull and nearly one-shoot trash mobs. A good way to perform this in early game is to invest skill points first in skills that deal damage with absolute bonus (not + X %, which has to be boosted more efficiently in end-game).

With a conqueror you WILL experience high difficulty with bosses that have high health and great damage output (Shadowmaw), are resistant to physical damage (Alastor) or leech your life and so regen quickly their health (Typhon). To manage bosses, don't forget those powerfull but with high cooldown skills : Colossus, Battle Standard (or Ancestral Horn, Phalanx...)... and scrolls !
« Last Edit: 25 April 2020, 10:29:48 by AlcyonV »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2020, 02:31:02 »
I've learned that early on, the best weapons you can find for a melee character have life leeching abilities. It actually increases the damage you deal. I'm also learning to choose weapons that deal higher damage per attack and damage per second. One lesson I had to learn is that slow attack speed weapons are not the best choice unless you wear equipment or have access to skills that increase attack speed. There was that hero zombie mage in the ancient tomb on the way to Megara that I had to run away from because the notched mace I had was too slow and my attack speed was even slower after being slowed. I came back with a more powerful ax and this time I laid him low.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal