Author Topic: What I Have Learned So Far  (Read 3351 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
What I Have Learned So Far
« on: 02 February 2020, 01:29:34 »
For many days now, I've been looking at an online skill calculator for Titan Quest at https://www.tqcalc.com/ and trying to choose appropriate skills for each class. For some classes, there is only one sure way to make them. For others, there can be more than one build for them depending on if one mastery has combat skills that support different weapon types. Each mastery to me is designed for one style of gameplay.

Warfare: This mastery seems to be strictly melee due to having nothing to offer spellcasters. Choosing this mastery means you'll be developing a character built for melee combat. There's also the possibility that the character will dual wield.

Defense: Another mastery made for melee combat. Practically every skill requires the use of a shield, so using one is a must if you choose this mastery.

Hunting: This mastery has combat skills for bows, spears, and throwing weapons, though the synergies for marksmanship do not work with throwing weapons. There are also prebuffs for increasing pierce and bleeding damage. Choosing this mastery means you'll either use a bow or spear, as well as depending on bleeding or piercing damage.

Rogue: Mostly for damage supplementing. There are skills that use poison, piercing, or increase bleeding damage, as well as some combat skills that can be used for either melee or long-range. You can also build traps to aid you. Choosing this mastery means your character will focus on the use of poison, bleeding, piercing, or building traps.

Earth: Purely for spellcasters as it has nothing to benefit only fighters. Choosing this mastery will mean your character will focus on fire and burning damage, although there are skills to increase physical damage and give you access to a powerful minion.

Storm: Same as Earth, it's for spellcasters, but for the elements of lightning and ice. There is a pet that can increase elemental damage. Choosing this mastery will focus on using cold and lightning damage for your character.

Spirit: Another spellcaster mastery with a powerful minion, but with limited damaging skills, instead offering vitality damage. There is also a skill that increases all types of damage and a powerful skill for use with staves. Choosing this mastery will result in a character that will either use a staff or with a focus on either pets or vitality damage.

Nature: The only mastery lacking any combat skills, so it's more of a support mastery. Many of the skills are geared toward prebuffing life, healing, weakening your enemies, or summoning pets to aid you. This mastery is for characters who want to depend heavily on pets.

Dream: A hybrid mastery that has something for everyone: spellcasters, fighters, and petmasters. Depending on your other mastery, choosing this will result in a character that fights melee, long-range, spellcasting, or relies on pets.

Rune: Another hybrid mastery, but without pets and limited spellcasting. You can also dual-wield with this mastery. Choosing this mastery will help create a character that focuses on dual throwing or focusing on elemental magic for either melee or ranged combat.

For me, certain classes are meant to be only used in one way according to the mastery classifications. Any class that chooses either warfare or defense will focus on melee combat. Earth, Spirit, and Storm are meant for casters. Spellcasters who choose Spirit will make heavy use of their staff for damage with the Ternion Attack. And those who choose nature will rely heavily on their minions either for damage, meat shields, or strengthening themselves.

Since Hunting, Rogue, and Spirit have the best skills for increasing bleeding damage, the best classes for this type of damage are the Bone Charmer, Warlock, and Brigand, as Spirit has Necrosis and Hunting has Flush Out, both of which reduce bleeding resistance. However, from what I have read online, bleeding is more of a secondary damage since many enemies have high bleeding resistance or are even immune. And unlike Diablo II where you had a hireling to help deal with enemies immune to your build's chosen skills when making your character, here in Titan Quest, you're on your own. Poison has the same problem and should be more of a secondary damage type not one to build a character around. From what I have seen, the only skill that decreases poison resistance is Susceptibility in Nature mastery. Since Rogue is the only other mastery that has poison damage, the best character for poison damage as a secondary damage ability is the Illusionist. The Brigand is the best character for piercing damage as both hunting and rogue increase piercing damage and reduce piercing resistance.

Based on what I have learned so far, I am trying to put together a list of builds that make good use of each mastery. However, it's going to be more difficult than what I did with Diablo II because I have no idea what the best ideal equipment will be for each character or exactly which skills they use and how many points each skill will have, or where exactly to assign attribute points to maximize each build's effectiveness. I know strength focuses on melee damage, dexterity for poison, bleeding, or piercing damage, and intelligence for spellcasting and elemental damage, and I don't want to feel that what I've invested will be a waste.

Of course, I have seen on Youtube some builds such as a casting Thane, casting Paladin, Throwing Knife Assassin, as well as Templars and Harbingers using staves with Psionic Beam. The problem with these builds according to a skill calculator is that you'll have too many skill points leftover and you are missing out on what both masteries have to offer. What's the point of choosing Warfare if you're going to make a spellcaster. And same with Defense if you are not using a shield?

There's a table of class guides on the Titan Quest wikia that suggests how each class should be made and a list at https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-tips-and-advices-for-newbies-by-shadowshire/ which shows each class by difficulty in using and how they are best suited. For example, a Conqueror would be strictly melee. Same with the Corsair and the Warden.

All in all, I felt like I learned a lot so far, but still got a long ways to go.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: What I Have Learned So Far
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2020, 09:26:01 »
There's also Irma2's Class Combo guide which might give you more insight into how different classes can be built.  It was made for the disc version of the game, but might still give you more insight, particulary in how hybrid classes can be made.

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=679.0

Hybrids are the more difficult to build because of attribute points.  Melee is pretty straightforward: 1/1 str/dex or sometimes 2/1 str/dex depending on what you need.  Pure casters are also the same; all intel with only as much dex as needed to wear caster gear or if you're likely to be getting into the middle of fights then 1/1 intel/dex might be better.  Hybrids on the other hand have to decide whether they're going to be more melee based or caster based since they can't really be both because not enough attribute points to go around.  I don't know, but I think the Dream mastery added in the Immortal Throne expansion was made partly to address this issue since it gives both str and intel, allowing characters access to both.  Rune mastery is similar in this respect. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #2 on: 02 February 2020, 11:40:24 »
- There are many way to build a classes by focus specific gameplay style or main skill(s).
- Depends on what you build, both masteries can support good or not for that build.
- Like every classes can build to melee/range (bow/throw/staff)/caster/pet/reflect and can choose to build it as pure or hybrid (attributes).
- Warfare works well with any type of characters.... but best support for melee weapon and throwing weapon.
- Any skills in Hunting mastery works with bow also works with throw weapon.
- Earth mastery: Brimstone and Volativity bonus + % physical dmg; Stone Skin +%fire resist and some armor; Heat Shield +15% physical res and Fire dmg absorption; Ring of fire's synergy - Soften Metal -%enemies OA and their's their armor by flat; Flame Surge reduced enemies DA by %; Fire Nova can make range enemies be Impaired Aim,... => and you said Earth doesn't support Fighter?
- Storm has Energy Shield's synergy - Reflection give character % to reflects lot of enemies dmg which good for reflect dmg; Wisp synergy skill buffs all ally in range with +%lightning/cold res and lots of %elemental dmg, can be very good for elemental pet build.
.... And lots of something you wrong or just thinking with "closed mind".

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #3 on: 10 February 2020, 23:15:33 »
Seeing as how Warfare, Defense, Hunting, and Rogue all focus on dealing damage with weapons, combining one of them with another means your character will be dealing their own damage, as they focus more on strength, dexterity, and health instead of energy and intelligence. Whereas Earth, Storm, Nature, and Spirit are the caster masteries because they focus more on magic or minions to deal damage, so they focus more on energy, intelligence, less on dexterity and health, and nothing in strength. Combining a caster mastery with another caster mastery means your character will focus more on magic and pets to deal damage instead of fighting on the frontlines. Combining a fighting mastery with a caster mastery results in a hybrid character that could specialize in both fighting and magic, seeing as how all their attributes are increased when mastery levels are increased. Dream and Rune are trickier due to being hybrid masteries.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal