Author Topic: What build makes the best Ice Sharder?  (Read 20744 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lanceor

• Topic Author
  • This space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +11
What build makes the best Ice Sharder?
« on: 21 November 2019, 12:04:52 »
What experience do you have with ice sharders?

I'm currently running a Thunderer (Rune) and Paladin (Defence) though I'm still only in Normal for both. So far, the Thunderer feels like a pure Stormcaller with rocks - none of the Rune skills I've tried seem to mesh well with Storm. The Paladin is doing well, but I'm not sure if shard damage will scale well into Legendary.

What build do you think makes the most effective ice sharder? Tell us your experience!
Trying to build immortal/OP/imba characters since 2007!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: What build makes the best Ice Sharder?
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2019, 12:25:22 »
i promised i would chime in :)

dating back to the old original TQ, i actually paired storm with every mastery in the game.. i would agree with you nature may be the best.. but the thing is, nature just goes well with everything

you talked about rune.. i wanna share a short story.. when ragnarok just came out (few weeks old), me and my friend online were talking about rune and we've always agreed you can build pretty much anything in this game.. and we both love casters but i was complaining just how do you play rune as caster? let's face it, even though it's an int build, doesn't always mean it's a caster.. a caster is a spell caster and rune is all about rune weapon and thunder strike.. i remember i spent hours thinking of this. so here it is, my spellcaster thunderer

paladin, yes it should.. that build existed since the old TQ of long ago.. the popular online seems to be shard and shield but my paladin build from TQIT was lightning bolt + ice shard.. of course i was wearing shield but i had zero shield attack skills

i wanna plug in my caster Thane double neiths will
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1097.0
maybe i can continue it from time to time and update it one of these days.. I'm pretty sure it will do fine
« Last Edit: 21 November 2019, 12:29:27 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Anuchyfilm

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2019, 05:51:13 »
IMO Thunderer and Paladin can be the best build for Icesharder. Wielding the Persephone's Cares will grant you 100% cold damage, it can be 1 hand for Paladin and dual wielding for Thunderer. This axe also give you high flat HP regen. So they both can be great HP regen builds also. Thunderer will surely be a highest damage output but Paladin is better for tanking.

I'm writing a guide for Thunderer as an ice mage. It'll take sometime to finish.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2019, 08:48:13 »
Druid!
Nature give a lots of health, resistances, reduce energy cost, both immobilize "shield" (Briar Ward) and mobilize shield (Wolves) which can buff total speed, dmg absorption, good CC (Earthbind), good debuff (Plague tree), healing skill.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2019, 09:27:20 »
the thing about Persephone's Caress for Paladin is, armor handling (reduced strength req) doesn't include weapons.. iirc my paladin from TQIT was using Phorkos Trident.. then a green weightless torso armor socketed with golden fleece.. i imagine for ragnarok neiths will can be a good candidate.. of course for a shard and shield paladin build, str will be helpful for shield damage.. but I'm a range gamer.. there's just a big difference if you let mobs come closer to you, all the while you are hitting them, than you getting close to mobs, and they are the ones hitting you instead.. doesn't matter if it's a charging skill.. it's still dangerous and it's suicide against 3 Typhon

sage - an unlikely candidate? i tried gearing my sage for an ice sharder, and the first things i thought about were neiths will + pelaron, then tried touch of nyx + pelaron.. i basically wasn't drinking mana pots for that 2nd setup.. but i want life steal so i tried chakram of the moon + svalinn + volvas boots + impenetrable of the mammoth socketed with golden fleece.. and it was marksmanship on LMB and ice shard on RMB.. that worked fine.. but i still need more tests for it.. and I'd still prefer nature over it.. and what i haven't mentioned is: svalin has high str req, chakram moon high dex req, and ice shard is int.. so it's a hybrid, which many people don't play
edit: but study prey + squall makes up for the damage though
edit 2: forgot to mention high DA and some CtAP
« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 09:40:49 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2019, 09:41:58 »
the thing about Persephone's Caress for Paladin is, armor handling (reduced strength req) doesn't include weapons.. iirc my paladin from TQIT was using Phorkos Trident.. then a green weightless torso armor socketed with golden fleece.. i imagine for ragnarok neiths will can be a good candidate.. of course for a shard and shield paladin build, str will be helpful for shield damage.. but I'm a range gamer.. there's just a big difference if you let mobs come closer to you, all the while you are hitting them, than you getting close to mobs, and they are the ones hitting you instead.. doesn't matter if it's a charging skill.. it's still dangerous and it's suicide against 3 Typhon

sage - an unlikely candidate? i tried gearing my sage for an ice sharder, and the first things i thought about were neiths will + pelaron, then tried touch of nyx + pelaron.. i basically wasn't drinking mana pots for that 2nd setup.. but i want life steal so i tried chakram of the moon + svalinn + volvas boots + impenetrable of the mammoth socketed with golden fleece.. and it was marksmanship on LMB and ice shard on RMB.. that worked fine.. but i still need more tests for it.. and I'd still prefer nature over it.. and what i haven't mentioned is: svalin has high str req, chakram moon high dex req, and ice shard is int.. so it's a hybrid, which many people don't play
Paladin has many option to fight Typhon, Colossus Form, Spellbreaker, Squall, Phalanx Unyielding.
My Palandin caster can deal vs 3 Typhons well.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2019, 09:48:51 »
of course and you should.. just how many hours have you put into this game already lolz.. like i said in another topic, you can do anything you want in this game

edit: also, my paladin was from TQIT so no phalanx.. and i had shitty items back then.. i don't even have archmages clasp back then
edit 2: it's still safer to play it range, from the stairs though
« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 09:55:44 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2019, 10:54:49 »
Shitty this, shitty that still can deal with 3 Typhons well enough, it's even more easier in TQ-IT.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2019, 11:02:30 »
just what is your problem?
so what if i want to play it range?
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2019, 11:07:08 »
just what is your problem?
so what if i want to play it range?
I'm talking about Int base caster Paladin.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 11:10:26 by icefreeze »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Anuchyfilm

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2019, 13:36:59 »

edit 2: forgot to mention high DA and some CtAP

It's true that the Paladin doesn't have -req for Persephone's Cares. But 100% cold damage is very high and you don't have to invest much on DEX. So it's possible to reach moderately high INT (around 600-800) that will boost the damage also. @Torstein159 has built this Icesharder Paladin and it's great both damage output and tanking ability.

For the Sage, I prefer an elemental archer build more than an Icesharder build, since the Hunting skill will boost your weapon attack much more than your spells. But Sturdy Prey is always useful debuff, so it can be an effective and imaginative build also ^_^

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2019, 14:00:59 »
For the Sage, I prefer an elemental archer build
yes of course me too.. or more accurately bow on one weapon slot and thrown + shield on the other.. that's how i always play my hunting chars.. it's just that i couldn't help but try anything i could think of on any of my characters, regardless what seems better or not

actually, i created a lvl 40 sage converted to elem just to compare (fake?) hybrid (no str bow) to true hybrid.. early game fake hybrid outperforms true hybrid by a mile.. true hybrid just really sucks on normal.. but late game, i feel like true hybrid wins.. it's just a matter of opinion what is better: dying a lot early game then gradually becoming better, or the other one strong early game but becoming squishy late game
« Last Edit: 22 November 2019, 14:03:26 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Billy_pilgrim

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 10 December 2019, 13:05:28 »
So I've been playing some TQ again recently, when I left off I was playing some ice shard builds. I think the strongest in my stable by a large margin is the thunderer, dual wielding Persephone's. It's a fairly simple build, Ice shard, menhir wall, squall, wisp and seal of fate with its add on. It melts everything (ehm frostburns everything)... The problem with this build is energy, as neither storm nor rune mastery provide any buffs to this. So you need to find some armour or socket some armour with golden fleece or the energy regen relic from A5. Now it's not a perfectly balanced build, I've been thinking about playing it as a druid and using some -req gear and go for Persephone's + svalinn because it looks badass, mostly.

Slightly off topic, I've also been playing a melee paladin using ele conversion from galabanthiem (spelling?) relic and golden aegris helmet for 100% conversion, using squall for - ele resist and just enough str to equip the fastest base sword, (usually some kind of  sabertooth), doesn't require much strength about 400 for the legendary one, and the rest of my points go into int. Monkey king relics and pulverize reduce resistances more, combined with squall, all in all very balanced well rounded character and it's been fun to play. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 10 December 2019, 13:35:48 »
So I've been playing some TQ again recently, when I left off I was playing some ice shard builds. I think the strongest in my stable by a large margin is the thunderer, dual wielding Persephone's. It's a fairly simple build, Ice shard, menhir wall, squall, wisp and seal of fate with its add on. It melts everything (ehm frostburns everything)... The problem with this build is energy, as neither storm nor rune mastery provide any buffs to this. So you need to find some armour or socket some armour with golden fleece or the energy regen relic from A5. Now it's not a perfectly balanced build, I've been thinking about playing it as a druid and using some -req gear and go for Persephone's + svalinn because it looks badass, mostly.

Slightly off topic, I've also been playing a melee paladin using ele conversion from galabanthiem (spelling?) relic and golden aegris helmet for 100% conversion, using squall for - ele resist and just enough str to equip the fastest base sword, (usually some kind of  sabertooth), doesn't require much strength about 400 for the legendary one, and the rest of my points go into int. Monkey king relics and pulverize reduce resistances more, combined with squall, all in all very balanced well rounded character and it's been fun to play.
The problem with melee elemental build is OA. If you don't have about 800 OA, your melee hit will miss alot. If your character mainly dmg source from skills doesn't bind with melee hits, it's not melee build anymore.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Billy_pilgrim

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 10 December 2019, 14:10:42 »
tbh I'm not sure if OA is counted if your damage is 100% elemental, afaik you can't crit with elemental hits, but you can't miss either. Also, I go quite heavy into dex, almost all my builds do just for stonebinders cuffs, as well as for the DA. It's basically a universally good stat.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal