Author Topic: House of Flying Daggers Build  (Read 55196 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: House of Flying Daggers Build
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2018, 08:55:39 »
assuming you don't rely on stacking requirement reduction, that would be fine yes.. a little higher would be fine too.. if you want to put some in health, that would be ok too
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2018, 11:05:02 »
Thank you. I am still not sure whether I should be pumping Dex to scale bleed and pierce damage on Throwing Knife, if I should be pumping Int which I am assuming will scale the elemental damage component added to Throwing Knife (for example the flat cold or lightning damage added by Storm Nimbus).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: 08 May 2018, 12:41:34 »
well you see... one of the strengths of this build is dealing different types of damage.. all those damage types will be boosted by %total damage (which boosts every type of damage), and then further boosted by reduced resistances (which reduces every type of resist).. dealing different types of damage means you won't have a problem dealing damage against anything.. the only problem this has is Toxeus.. but you shouldn't have a problem with Toxeus if you do the chicken way.. the chicken way i will show in one of my videos in a few days time (i have already recorded the videos, i will just compile them in the coming days)

edit: chicken way

also, you might notice I'm wearing a shield.. shield block chance is affected by dex at least according to this guide

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-shield-block-formula-guide-by-xaece/

so dex is offense and defense for this build.. not that it's enough to keep you alive but at least it helps some with your squishiness.. survivability of this build really comes from life steal, CC, and killing enemies before they kill you.. and that's part of the fun of being a glass canon :)

in my experience, you will see the strength of dex mostly normal and epic.. sometime in act 3 legendary, you will start to feel squishy.. that's when you will want to spam knives.. but spamming is only good if you deal instant damage (not DoT).. that's when int becomes more important

tldr: sink your points on dex and int
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 22:28:28 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 09 May 2018, 13:47:14 »
shield block chance is affected by dex at least according to this guide

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-shield-block-formula-guide-by-xaece/
Wow, thanks for the info, I did not know that. Maybe I do have to review my opinion on shields for this build...

tldr: sink your points on dex and int
If you use Eitr and/or Cold Essence/Primal Magma relics, int becomes much more relevant for your damage. However, the defensive boost you get from dex remains very compelling :)
     Which reminds me: Legendary Cold Essence & Primal Magma are, next to Eitr, another great addition from Ragnarok, at least for this build. They pair very nicely with the Stonebinders Cuffs, which are a BiS green armpiece and therefore always offer a "free" slot for those relics (that is, if you can afford to use it over a more defensive charm).
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 13:49:39 by Gautrec »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 10 May 2018, 02:40:58 »
If you use Eitr and/or Cold Essence/Primal Magma relics,
my build is like the pre-ragnarok version.. ragnarok offers more item optimization.. i can see myself leaning towards Neiths Will instead of Phorkos Trident (maybe).. especially if i also get lucky with legendary craftsmanship, getting weightless prefix.. but this character is retired now :(
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 28 September 2018, 21:58:56 »
If you are spamming throwing knives, does your weapon matter at all since throwing knife gets nothing from it?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: 29 September 2018, 00:11:31 »
the base weapon damage does not matter however saying that the weapon does not matter at all is inaccurate.. when playing mages/casters, there is no definitive "damage should come from weapon, resists from shields and jewelries" that kind of thing.. the thinking when gearing mages should be "anything can come from anything" i chose phorkos trident for all skills and resists

also, proc skills from weapons trigger with throwing knife. like the Gautrec trick nidbow. study prey from mbuti's advocate also triggers.. and the wildfire/sunlight thingy from a certain throwing weapon.. but it's only skills.. proc chance like stun or slow does not trigger
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: 29 September 2018, 01:09:52 »
I hear you, but it goes a bit further than that.  Many attributes of weapons can still help other mage builds like %fire or whatever.  A weapon has almost nothing to benefit the build besides some unique abilities.  I have the throwing dagger that reduces mana cost which is certainly helpful.  But really, that is all it does.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: 29 September 2018, 01:43:09 »
but you are aware that this does not lack in kill speed right? if anything what this lacks is tankiness.. this is a glass cannon
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: 29 September 2018, 08:50:19 »
sorry but i just had to ask if only to satisfy my curiosity.. what is your build? is it a knifethrower too? and that's really all your getting from your weapon? only energy cost? no cast speed, all skills, resists, recharge, %damage, anything? what weapon is that? i only know of 2 weapons that has energy cost reduction: staff of the (cosmos? was it?) and lykaion malleus but they give way more than energy cost. maybe it's a ragnarok item I'm not aware of? and you don't have anything better?
« Last Edit: 29 September 2018, 08:51:53 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: 29 September 2018, 14:31:19 »
Don't apologize, I am really just a few levels in on a heroic character and he is certainly cleaning house.

I have an illusionist with Throwing Knives, Traps and Heart of the Oak, which, with my other cost reduction gear, allows me to spam knives for free.  Also envenom and plague (though I haven't need to plague yet).  Saving wolves for Epic.

My questioning is due to wondering how Knives scale.  If I am not pumping int for elemental damage, am I nerfing the build?  What role can/do weapons play and how do I best leech life.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: 30 September 2018, 06:42:19 »
ahhh illusionist.. I'm not really a pet guy but i like illusionist.. one of my favorites.. my illusionist is pets + traps + knives

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=19.0

i did not get int because it's a petmaster/knifethrower.. i don't have energy cost reduction but i steal mana with i think spectral matter.. but nature has tranquility of water.. maybe i should revisit my illusionist and see if i can max tranquility of water and ditch spectral matter

but there is a build that also invests on int and it's easier to gear.. it's closer to a pure petmaster.. clex made a nice guide about it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bYg9MGcfBGI

but the int investment is just to meet gear requirements and not about dealing damage.. maybe eitr? the elemental damage applies to knives.. but you probably would need demon's blood for vit res
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #42 on: 30 September 2018, 13:57:06 »
ahhh illusionist.. I'm not really a pet guy but i like illusionist.. one of my favorites.. my illusionist is pets + traps + knives

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=19.0

i did not get int because it's a petmaster/knifethrower.. i don't have energy cost reduction but i steal mana with i think spectral matter.. but nature has tranquility of water.. maybe i should revisit my illusionist and see if i can max tranquility of water and ditch spectral matter

but there is a build that also invests on int and it's easier to gear.. it's closer to a pure petmaster.. clex made a nice guide about it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bYg9MGcfBGI

but the int investment is just to meet gear requirements and not about dealing damage.. maybe eitr? the elemental damage applies to knives.. but you probably would need demon's blood for vit res

I usually using Mjohnir with Throwing Knife to get a chance to cast Chain Lightning to deal dmg and get Stun effect.
=> Int can make your dmg output boost alot than you think.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: 30 September 2018, 16:01:47 »
yeah I've been thinking for quite a while now that if I'd play this after ragnarok i probably would've gotten int too.. seeing items like eitr, mjolnir, rings of the rhine, a shield that doesn't block too much but gives huge DA, recharge and requirement reduction with only 200+ str requirement.. part of my theorycraft was strength of the pack + rage of ares + knives.. and i ended up not using it because 1000 DA suddenly got useless against act 5 mobs.. so i needed life steal instead so i switched to phobos + deimos.. if i had int too, even if can't get high DA, elemental rage would've been a nice artifact.. dem ragnarok changed a lot of things
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline wolpak

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: 12 October 2018, 21:01:25 »
So, I decided to try the Brigand version of this build.  Figured that all the +Pierce would benefit my flying daggers and my traps.  And it does.  I have been using a Blue Dragon Scale as it reduces cost, gives energy and other benefits.  In Epic, unbuffed my daggers do a flat 222 damage (with other equip and dex bonuses).  In fact, all weapons do 222 flat damage (which is kinda nice that their are no spikes from randomness...until I came across the Dagger of Basbona.  For some reason, I wanted to see if the 20% chance of 93% bonus damage would proc (as apparently weapon procs do work).  And it does...BUT, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that the #34% pierce damage ALSO stacks with my pierce (since the daggers do all pierce).

Every weapon I tested with does 222 damage.  This weapon does, 260 and procs at 371.  Good to know that weapon's %pierce also stacks.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal