Author Topic: Install Ragnarok on GOG Galaxy?  (Read 4443 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Install Ragnarok on GOG Galaxy?
« on: 26 May 2018, 11:25:19 »
Does anyone know how this works? I just bought Ragnarok, but it doesn't show up in GOG Galaxy, even though it does on the GOG website. when I click on game settings to select the DLC, there's just nothing there,..

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Install Ragnarok on GOG Galaxy?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2018, 16:19:40 »
Have you installed the base game using Galaxy?  It probably won't pick it up otherwise.  And have you installed Ragnarok?  It's a separate DLC so will need to be installed.

This is what I get if I click on the 1DLC.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2018, 18:57:22 »
Have you installed the base game using Galaxy?  It probably won't pick it up otherwise.

Yeah, I did.

I actually contacted GOG support. Apparently it is some bug that the Galaxy client's database does not update correctly. It can be solved by adding another totally unrelated game (which can be a free game or demo) to the library, to force a re-update. I did that, adding a free game, and TQ's DLC now displays correctly too.

Pretty odd, so I figured I'd update this thread in case anyone else encounter the same issue.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2018, 19:21:11 »
Weird.  It must be a recent bug, I didn't have any problems when I downloaded on to my new machine, but then again I'd already bought Ragnarok and installed it on my old one so it wasn't a new purchase.  :-\  Sounds more like GOG hoping to push you into buying another game.

I didn't want to have Galaxy since it didn't seem to offer me anything I wanted, but I got tired of having to download the whole of TQAE every time a patch came out because GOG don't do patches for it without Galaxy. My internet speeds are fairly slow and it takes 1.5 every time the game is patched.  I got fed up and put Galaxy back on which makes it much quicker since it does patch the game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2018, 19:32:55 »
Sounds more like GOG hoping to push you into buying another game.

Well, it was the GOG employee that suggested I try adding a free game or a demo, so I don't think so.

I use Galaxy mostly because of the cloud saves, and friend management really. I still like how GOG allows you to not install a client if you don't want to, or run game from a client easily, while being offline. The advertisement of other games and client/account features is also a lot less intrusive than with STEAM.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2018, 19:48:54 »
I agree, which is why I'm a bit miffed with GOG re Galaxy and this game.  There was no reason they shouldn't just patch it, they did that with Grim Dawn when the patches came out so why make you download all of TQAE every time if you don't want to use Galaxy?  It's the only thing I use it for since I have local saves, don't multiplay, use the chat or anything it offers.  Hopefully, our internet speeds are being improved later this year so maybe then I'll be able to ditch it and go back to direct downloads from GOG.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2018, 23:33:28 »
I dunno, but maybe TQ is a bit problematic to patch like that. There're a lot of things actually, that show TQ's age next to e.g. Grim Dawn.

Visually, gameplay-wise, and interface wise, TQ has aged remarkably well. Perhaps better than most other videogames out there. It's in things like compatibility, and in-game flexibility that its age shows; like how you can't use portals to spawn new instances of cleared maps, and have to exit and restart.

By the way, I just booted Ragnarok for the first time, and I expected my Legendary characters to gain a few levels upon first play, or at least get some skill and stat points from supposedly completed Ragnarok quests in Normal and Epic. Nothing though,.. how does that work?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2018, 07:44:17 »
Maybe Laionidas, I don't know how these things work. 

Just goes to show how well the devs built the game.  :)  For me, since I've never stopped playing TQIT/AE alongside GD I don't really see much difference.  Of course there are many changes in GD, but I don't get the feeling that TQIT/AE is old against it, just works a bit differently.

I guess it may depend on how high a level your Legendary characters are.  Iirc Nordic have adjusted the XP gain in the game which may be where the increases come from, not an assumption that you've done Ragnarok quests in the earlier difficulties. But not having any Legendary characters to play I really can't say for sure.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal