Author Topic: Broken faces and Armor not showing on Main Menu  (Read 2180 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline typhon007

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Broken faces and Armor not showing on Main Menu
« on: 05 January 2021, 17:06:11 »
I tried getting to know the basics of modeling tq and it mostly works fine but I get some small errors and it seems like I can't get rid of them. Whenever I export my models some of the faces are kind of broken but the normals are facing the right direction and it seems to be kind of random. This is how it looks:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Another error I encountered is that my armors and weapons are not displayed on the Main Menu although they are working just fine ingame or in the inventory.
« Last Edit: 05 January 2021, 17:08:42 by typhon007 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Broken faces and Armor not showing on Main Menu
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2021, 18:19:05 »
Another error I encountered is that my armors and weapons are not displayed on the Main Menu although they are working just fine ingame or in the inventory.

Do not worry, it happen with every mod custom itens, as the base game cant read or isnt set to read custom assets without mod file.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline typhon007

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2021, 20:20:23 »
Do not worry, it happen with every mod custom itens, as the base game cant read or isnt set to read custom assets without mod file.

Thank you for the suggestion but I have added them to an existing .arc archive and it still won't show. In the tutorial by endymion everything works is that because it's not made for the ae version?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2021, 08:33:35 »
Those faces missing is probably because of flipped normals. There is a quick and dirty method to fix it in 3ds max, the only problem is the mesh will be twice as heavy. Try the following:

Select the mesh, then Clone it and choose "as a copy". Now you have 2 meshes on top of each other. Select the mesh you just cloned (give it a different color if you want) and remove the Edit Normals modifier if it has one. Now from the Modifiers list apply "Normal" modifier - it will flip the second mesh normals so it will become all black. Now, re-apply Edit Normals on top of Normal modifier. Finally, export both meshes together as one. The gaps on the first mesh will be filled with the ones from the second one.

Ofcourse, thats not the RIGHT way to do it, but it works. Another way is to select only the faces with flipped normals and Detach them, then apply Normal modifier to flip them and then Attach them to the base mesh again.

Or if you have Blender, export the mesh to it as OBJ, and in Blender in Edit mode go to Mesh > Normals > Recalculate Outside, then export the mesh back to 3ds max. It usually does the trick.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline typhon007

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2021, 16:10:10 »
nargil66 thank you so much for your help. The problem was a little diffferent but thanks to you I looked into the normals more and that lead to the fix. Whenever I exported from Blender to .obj my normals got all kinds of errors even though they were facing the right direction in Blender. But because of unknown reasons my 3ds max didn't want to import .3ds files thats why I was stuck with .obj files. I ended up fixing the problem by using an online .obj to .3ds converter. Because of some magic 3ds max allowed me import the .3ds file with the normals facing the right direction.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal