Author Topic: Dreamkiller: A Hybrid Shoddy  (Read 18484 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Dreamkiller: A Hybrid Shoddy
« on: 21 December 2018, 00:18:23 »
Now doesn't this sound like @CrocMagnum 's Avenger: A Hybrid Study?

har har har! Btw for those who haven't read it yet, i encourage to read it. It's here in this forum and also in KP

Now just from reading comments from different forums (though some of them are dated), i have come to the understanding that:

1) People are divided on their opinion of Dreamkiller (Dream + Rogue). Some people think it can be good while some think combining the 2 doesn't make sense

2) Many people are still not comfortable playing a hybrid

So i introduce now a quite safe hybrid to build

items:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Rogue is my favorite mastery in AE/R. I have paired rogue with many masteries already and i like to try with them just about any strategy i can think of. Although it can be considered a support mastery, this build is a good example of how to play rogue as a main mastery. Despite rogue skills scaling with str and dex, rogue works very well with int. Long before i wrote this, there have been int build assassins and int build illusionists. @icefreeze has a beautiful int build brigand. Actually also looks like a hybrid. None of those deal elemental damage but they all perform well with int. I hope to shed some light.

Why is it quite safe?
Small reason: Because all 3 main stats boost something in your skills.
Big Reason: Because it doesn't matter if you nerf your damage because most of your damage will come from traps. Traps don't scale with any of your stats, you only need pet jewelries to make it good. And that's why i call this a hybrid shoddy because it's a hybrid if you look at the stats, but it is mostly just a trapmaster.

BUT...
This ain't easy to build. Consider these things first:
1) Both dream and rogue can be considered support masteries. Starting with either isn't as simple as starting with warfare, hunting, earth or storm.
2) What makes hybrids easier to build are socrates and hale rings. But with this build, you can't go with either because you lose the power of traps. You have to be very stingy on spending your stat points, just enough to equip items you need.
you probably see now why i didn't put this in guidesAE. no matter what i say about building hybrids, nothing beats experience

About this build
This is a late bloomer. The build only takes shape in the level 50s but once the build takes shape, it really is a well balanced build. This is neither glassy nor cannony. The main skills of this build are traps and knives and they both scale with cast speed and all skills. In my opinion, both work best with 180-300% cast speed. Distortion wave is my support attack. It also scales with cast speed. If you focus on traps and knives, they can really outperform calculated strike and lethal strike especially on xmax. This is only true in AE/R because traps and knives have been reworked since AE. I know it sounds weird but it really works well if you also use wraithlords/allfathers jewelries socketed with monkey kings trickery. Get 3 of those if you can. I only have 2 but it's still good. The resistance reduction procs off throwing knives. When monsters get debuffed, traps deal more damage along with your other attacks. This caster can stand up against mobs just fine. Against bosses i have traps that i can just throw at them while i keep my distance.

So what are the advantages of making this a hybrid?
Str and Int boosts distortion wave. Dex boosts poison, bleed and DA. But more importantly, if you look at my pic, i have:

1k DA
a bit of recharge
a good shield
a good amount of cast speed
+4 to rogue
+6 to dream
good enough resists
life leech
energy leech

It's true i have lots of good items but i couldn't wear all of those if I hadn't built this a hybrid. I would've liked to get more recharge actually but my extra archmages clasp is reserved for my elementalist in xmax HC challenge. Archmages Clasp has high cast speed too but it doesn't have life and energy leech. I don't really know which is better, that or Twisted Coil. Maybe even The Frail?

very late edit:
The best synergy for this build is traps + nightmare mastermind. Mastermind is total damage which means it will boost the base damage of traps (pierce), as well as any pet damage you have. So if you have 2-3 pet jewelries, traps will get massive additional damage. The only thing lacking is reduced resist. That's why i suggested to socket your pet jewelries with monkey kings trickery or wear twisted coil of the parasite if you have.

My skills at lvl 70 (with +6 to dream):
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc41c841c841c8.html?mastery=Dreamkiller&master1=6&master2=9&sa=20&m1=32-0-1-12-12-1-8-1-0-1-16-0-0-8-12-8-8-0-0-6-8-0&m2=32-0-0-10-0-6-0-4-1-0-0-6-10-1-1-1-4-10-0-6-1-0

few notes:
Spoiler for Hiden:
in this case, life leech is actually better than ADCtH because i don't deal big damage with throwing knife anyway. but life leech stays the same no matter how low my damage is. ADCtH will be better if you can somehow up your throwing knife direct damage (not DoT). life leech is pretty good with throwing knife actually because it procs from every projectile

i don't enjoy playing this character. don't know why :/    but it is pretty good performance-wise

few things about building a hybrid:
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=355.0

is another allfather's amulet better than sacred amulet? with a good suffix and a few gear changes, that's possible

which is better, physical or elemental allfather's ring? hard for me to say because i only have 1 elemental allfather's and it's for 1 of my other characters. but when i tried with wraithlord's, elemental seem to perform better consistency wise. this is because traps on its own (they deal pierce) are already good except against undeads and constructs. elemental works very well against undeads and constructs. this is only for traps and my reduced resists probably played a big factor

9 deaths so far (currently in act 4):
normal: 5 deaths. because i started this untwinked. who the hell plays hybrid untwinked? stupid mistake.
epic: 0 deaths
legendary: 4 deaths. 2 against toxeus the green (the one in labyrinth, Mumm-Ra spawned, so much harder than toxeus in SP). 1 against x3 Bandari, 1 against x3 Dragon Liche - Lord of Undead

for curiosity's sake, anyone knows where i got my character name?
« Last Edit: 13 March 2019, 11:26:58 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
Re: Dreamkiller: A Hybrid Shoddy
« Reply #1 on: 21 December 2018, 03:16:00 »
The Seven Deadly Sins  O0

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 21 December 2018, 04:16:46 »
The Seven Deadly Sins  O0
the lion sin of pride  O0
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 17 January 2019, 08:09:46 »
decided to play this a tiny bit.. it isn't so boring now lelz.. maybe because i haven't played in a while

lay trap is really a cheat skill
Spoiler for Hiden:
that's against 3 cerberus, legendary

i realized i failed to mention the most important synergy here lelz: traps + nightmare mastermind

used koderkrazy's show damage mod.. against machaes, my distortion wave does 2200 damage, that's only the instant damage (physical) because the mod doesn't show DoTs.. after i reduce resists, it does 3200 damage.. that's the small part.. reduced resists is mainly for traps here.. unfortunately, the mod also doesn't show pet damage.. i have -42 flat reduced resists for this build (done by knives)
« Last Edit: 17 January 2019, 08:12:17 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ozgurbay

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2019, 20:47:37 »
Great build can i learn stat points please

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2019, 02:43:15 »
Great build can i learn stat points please
ow.. well, the stats are as you see on the pic.. or if you are asking for a ratio distribution, i don't think it's doable with that.. only doable by saving lots of stat points.. the trick is: if you don't need to spend your stat points, just save them.. then equip +4 to all skills a as early as you can (or at least +4 to rogue.. epic SB cuffs and +2 to rogue amulet both have lvl 25 reqs)

but mine is almost the same as Tor's so maybe Tor knows an easier way

mine is not updated to Atlantis but it should still be viable
« Last Edit: 25 June 2019, 02:49:17 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ozgurbay

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2019, 04:19:12 »
I wanted to learn base stats tor said 206 str 206 dex 210 int rest Hp i think it is suitable for this build too

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal