Author Topic: Physical damage component paired with cold spells rather than fire  (Read 6698 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Don't you think it would make much more sense this way.. if you're hit by an ice, you actually would receive physical damage (since its a physical object after all) primarily and cold damage afterwards.. I mean if I spray fire to your face, would you get affected in a physical way at all? you would just get chemical damage..

But since this is only a game and these kinds of logic have no place while creating skills, I would like to address it from the gameplay perspective.. Cold skills simply doesn't have the versatility lightning and fire have.. its just ice shards and that's all.. we're just talking about spells here so weapon oriented cold builds are out of the spectrum.. there should be more than just one ice spell in the game.. look at Earth for example, it has 3 distinctive fire spells for gods sake!!

I don't think I have to mention we should also exclude utility skills here such as freezing blasts, mines or any other cold related skills because they can not be used as primary damage sources..

Add the physical damage to cold skills (maybe even add inherent slowing effects to it like they did in Diablo II) and combine lightning and fire instead of lightning and cold.. and remove either Electrical burn or Fire burn from the equation because they are both scientifically fire burn effects anyway.. I would have actually removed certain damage and effect types from this game if I had the necessary modding skills.. Anyway, I think a mastery mod with these types of changes could be invaluable indeed.. what do you think?   
« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 21:25:27 by Hector »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• View Profile
    • Awards
I actually thought of something similar once, but it was a fleeting idea.

I thought that Ice Shards (which really is the only cold skill I can think of) could get some pierce damage (well, pierce, because it's still impaling them on giant spikes of ice, so).

I can easily see how physical damage on most Earth skills is justified, though. Notice that there's no physical damage on Flame Surge, which is the fire spray you mentioned; however, in the case of Volcanic Orb or Eruption, I think they're easily understandable, as volcanic eruptions themselves tend to spew quite a bit of solid rock around (after all, magma is just molten rock). It's why the mastery is called Earth, I think, and not just Fire.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mountainblade

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
it makes sense logically, but balancing may be hard as I am guessing there is less %phys out there than %cold and %elemental. although I guess you could just up the damage of the skill! (or lots of frostburn)

you are right about lack of cold skills. Maybe add something to Spirit? LoC had some cold damage for pets in spirit. And I know Soulvizier had a freezing blast skill in storm. Torchlight 2 had a ice/physical skill tree for their berserker class.

I like the thought of an ice-sword wielding liche warrior.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Pierce effect on shards definitely makes sense.. good catch..

Yeah I know that magma contains rock formations and this also makes sense but how about ring of fire then? It has a flat physical component as well, hasn't it? I mean it doesn't look like a solid, moving magma to me.. just flames...

And I know Soulvizier had a freezing blast skill in storm. Torchlight 2 had a ice/physical skill tree for their berserker class.

I like the thought of an ice-sword wielding liche warrior.

I really wish we could use Soulvizier on AE.. there was this talk about a Chinese version of it for some time ago but AFAIK it turned out it was an unplayable mess..

Ice sword wielding liche warrior... could we, to a degree, also say; aka Frost Marrow? ^-^
It would have been an amazing experience... 
« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 23:44:02 by Hector »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
ternion cold staff is the only other cold damage skill
but we want a cold spell

i once said somewhere before that i think it's better if freezing blast be replaced by a less CC focused but more damage cold skill.. mmm sorceress blizzard diablo 2

edit: but ice shard is pretty strong if you focus on it and if you manage to solve energy problems.. except it's weak against frost elementals.. but that's just fair considering there are also fire elementals
« Last Edit: 15 July 2018, 01:37:12 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mountainblade

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
FROST FOR THE FROST GOD

Spoiler for Hiden:

NOT ENOUGH!

Spoiler for Hiden:

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
I lol'd at that ^.

Also, I thought of making a custom mastery someday, regarding cold magic and ice and all that stuff. What stopped me from doing it? Well, I'd need to replace an existing mastery in a mod, and it'd feel cheap to replace any of the existing masteries for a new one, so I'd need to make 9 other masteries... no, no, no, too much work for me.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Nimroth

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
I really hope in a next expansion they are gonna add a mastery focused on water and ice, these would make combination of physical, frostburn and cold damage. I got inspired by a few water spells granted by items.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
lol mountainblade

what a mainstream XD
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
FROST FOR THE FROST GOD

Spoiler for Hiden:

NOT ENOUGH!

Spoiler for Hiden:

Hey don't tease me ;D

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I've always imagined ice shards to do some pierce.
Nice blizzard there, mountainblade :D or more like a reverse diablo ice orb
« Last Edit: 16 July 2018, 23:21:58 by nargil66 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
In that case it is mostly a balance thing.
Making Ice Shards physical would make logical sense, but it would also mean they scale with strength, and for that we already have Distortion Wave.
While making them half physical would make them hard to scale / even more OP early on, especially since Storm has no combined phys+cold damage boosts like Earth has phys+fire.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hector

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Hard to scale? why? while playing as a pyro, do you feel it becomes hard to scale earth spells' physical segments? what is the difference here? just integrate all the physical related skills into storm and remove them from earth.. also make sure none of the skills in earth sound like they have a concrete form such as "rock" or "volcano"..

BTW, yes, the idea is to make them half physical, not full..

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal