Author Topic: How to make small edits+where to put finished files  (Read 2761 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Jobe

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
How to make small edits+where to put finished files
« on: 18 July 2021, 17:38:47 »
Hello! I want to change a few things:

-XP gain
-Amount of gold received
-make enemies do more damage and have more health

I know where to find the XP gain and gold, but not the enemy health and damage, and further, I don't know where to put the finished files or if they need to be repacked or whatever. Please advise.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: How to make small edits+where to put finished files
« Reply #1 on: 18 July 2021, 22:57:15 »
Do you have any experience with Art Manager ? For make any change in the game you need 1st create your mod in Art Manager.

To make change in global way to any monster, go to records\game\monstergamebalanceattributes.dbr

Note that bosses have a diferent file.

More information about the Monster global file there is a topic you might find interesting - https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1278.0

Edit : Welcome to forum :)
« Last Edit: 18 July 2021, 22:59:03 by sauruz »
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Jobe

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 18 July 2021, 23:22:44 »
Hello and thanks for the welcome.

No, I have not used Art Manager but I can give it a go. I was under the impression I could simply use notepad to edit the .dbr files (which is possible -- if it works, however, is another question).

I did in fact read the "how to create a difficulty mod" topic; in fact, that's how I found this place. :)

Unfortunately, the author didn't really say what one should do with the edited files. I was hoping I could simply drop them in the database folder but that appears to be misguided. I then assumed I had to pack them up somehow but, again, did not know how. The monstergamebalanceattributes.dbr... where specifically can I find variables for health and damage of monsters, and where might I find one for bosses?

I guess my main overall question is, do I package up my edited files via the Art Manager and drop the .arz package into the database folder?

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 18 July 2021, 23:39:57 »
« Last Rated on: 19 July 2021, 02:42:26 »
That method i dont know, maybe someone else might know.

Via Art Manager the database.arz is already created by default, and its more easy because you can import any game file and check and do your changes - check ingame after you build it. Note before you begin in Art Manager you need to place right the working paths, i believe there is a topic that explains better the initial steps.

For bosses its on same folder in /records/game/bossgamebalanceattributes.dbr

For both bosses and Monsters to increase their HP just go to Character Parameters - Character Bonus Attribute and there will you the hp and mana in the balanceattribute file.

For damage go to Offensive Parameters - Offensive Absolute and then Total damage Modifier (last option) inside the balanceattribute file

Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Jobe

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2021, 01:01:24 »
Okay so I'm in the creature attribute record database and I'm at Total Damage Modifier -- I see numbers like 0.0, 8.0, and 20.0. I assume 0.0 is for Normal, 8.0 is for Epic, and 20.0 is for Legendary. What is a reasonable number for Normal?

Same thing with Life and Mana in Character Bonus Attributes. Don't know which numbers to change and what is reasonable.

Also, when I'm done editing, do I just go to Build -> Build and then what? Where does my built up mod go? Will it be active upon starting a new game or do I need to select custom map?

EDIT: Also is there a way to disable health regen for the player?
« Last Edit: 19 July 2021, 02:42:18 by Jobe »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2021, 14:44:57 »
Okay so I'm in the creature attribute record database and I'm at Total Damage Modifier -- I see numbers like 0.0, 8.0, and 20.0. I assume 0.0 is for Normal, 8.0 is for Epic, and 20.0 is for Legendary. What is a reasonable number for Normal?

That means in Normal monsters do basic dmg in their dmg values without any boost if we say that way,  in epic their dmg is modified by 8% and legendary by 20%

Its a try and go attempt, to find a sweet spot you like.

Same thing with Life and Mana in Character Bonus Attributes. Don't know which numbers to change and what is reasonable.

You need to change the fields that already have values, "it have  18 values; the first value being Normal difficulty with 1 player, then 2 players... up until 6 players. The seventh value is Epic with 1 player, and so on so forth. In other terms, have 1 value for each number of players per difficulty.".

Life just increase by the number you add
Life Modifier add % of the value you add.

General rule of the base game is in normal the monsters dont have any boost on their hp, when you hit in epic monsters have more 200% hp, and legendary 420%

I will give you same answer, it all depends you need to test and see if the you are happy with the value you place, if you dont like, change again depending your experience.

Also, when I'm done editing, do I just go to Build -> Build and then what? Where does my built up mod go? Will it be active upon starting a new game or do I need to select custom map?

After you modify a file right click and build, then click F7 to build all your changes into the database.arc , and yes your mod will be playable in customaps section.

EDIT: Also is there a way to disable health regen for the player?

I believe in topic "how make difficult mod" its explain where you need to look in terms of change player attributes , i believe its same parameters as the monsters, i dont have any experience modify character formulaes, maybe someone else can help you out.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline lixiss

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2021, 15:10:24 »
No, I have not used Art Manager but I can give it a go. I was under the impression I could simply use notepad to edit the .dbr files (which is possible -- if it works, however, is another question).

Just to clarify: game engine works only with .arz files. In fact game engine even has no chance to parse .dbr files by their ambiguous nature (which resolved by utilizing external metadata (so called "templates")).

Records in mod's database takes precedence and "override" records from base/game database.

---

Game engine can load resource overrides from file system on per-file basis (e.g. meshes, textures, etc, almost everything what stored in .arc (not .arz) files). Them can be landed exactly in game's database folder (i'm guess there is single place for overrides). I'm use this time to time to remove some annoying visual effects without touching game or mod files. :)

For example: I'm put empty file at path <TQAE>\Database\Effects\Default\Buff03.pfx - this file will override resource on virtual path effects/default/buff03.pfx, which normally stored in Resources/Effects.arc.  [buff03.pfx is just Rend Armor's visual effect which my eyes doesn't want to see every 4 seconds]. There is handy to hack/try/altering without touching .arc files, but practically useful only when you are just want to play in existing game or existing mod. Whenever you starts to create custom mod (own .arz + bunch of .arc files) -> there is no more good reason to use this overrides for running mod, except some exceptional corner cases.

Anyway: Standard way is using Art Manager. There is exist other tools too, but there is almost mandatory to get familiar with standard toolset tools first anyway.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Jobe

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2021, 17:18:38 »
Yeah, the Art Manager is definitely superior to doing it via Notepad.

Anyway, I managed to get it all working. Thank you guys for the help. :)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal