Author Topic: Soulvizier AERA - General ideas and suggestions  (Read 17138 times)

Offline soa

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Soulvizier AERA - General ideas and suggestions
« on: 19 April 2020, 20:32:29 »
Here is a general topic where you can throw you ideas and suggestions about the mod.
You can make a wish list, however I can't promise that everything will be doable or that I will make it.

You can also offer a contribution in the Contribution topic if you wish to actively participate to the mod.
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?board=297.0

For bug reports, please use this topic :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1281.new#new
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Offline AlcyonV

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Soulvizier AERA - General ideas and suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2020, 02:58:18 »
- I played a bit today. I felt great intensity. But the original side quests now seem a bit dull to me. Ennemies to kill that are quest objectives are totally harmless compared to SV heroes or elites (like the satyre for the medicine quest...). What about replace them with special monsters of the same type already existing (why not randomly) ? Like it has been done for the shaman satyre in Helos. It will provide more interest to those quests. And then you can grant a bit more XP as reward, which could help to speed up XP curve (as side issue, XP rewards for those quests seem ridiculous know in SV ; in vanilla game, achieving a quest always boost your XP bar).

- Perhaps too late for now and with technical limitations that I don't know : what about metamorph skills in Rune mastery ? I mean bear or werewolf ones, using models already existing in the game. Perhaps as powerfull temporary skills (like Colossus...). It would be quite unique and awesome within the masteries and fit perfectly to norse berserker warriors lore :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

Offline soa

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 21 April 2020, 03:36:31 »
- I played a bit today. I felt great intensity. But the original side quests now seem a bit dull to me. Ennemies to kill that are quest objectives are totally harmless compared to SV heroes or elites (like the satyre for the medicine quest...). What about replace them with special monsters of the same type already existing (why not randomly) ? Like it has been done for the shaman satyre in Helos. It will provide more interest to those quests. And then you can grant a bit more XP as reward, which could help to speed up XP curve (as side issue, XP rewards for those quests seem ridiculous know in SV ; in vanilla game, achieving a quest always boost your XP bar).
OK actually, these already seem dull in the main game. They're not very interesting whatsoever.
Not sure it would be technically possible to make a random quest monster.
Shaman satyr should not be random, but some random heroes can spawn near him. So i can make some body guards or a high chance of a hero near the Satyr Brute, along with boosting him.

In vanilla, a lot of quests monsters don't even have armor, and many of their skills don't work. I fixed these problems in the 1.5 patch, but there's still more to be done regarding their general power.
I can increase XP for those quests, given that I'll increase the challenge.

- Perhaps too late for now and with technical limitations that I don't know : what about metamorph skills in Rune mastery ? I mean bear or werewolf ones, using models already existing in the game. Perhaps as powerfull temporary skills (like Colossus...). It would be quite unique and awesome within the masteries and fit perfectly to norse berserker warriors lore :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker

I already had this kind of idea, and I think that if it was technically doable, the devs would already have done it. For instance Nature+Runes is called Skinchanger in vanilla, so Runes should include a shapeshifting skill or something. But I think there are just too many issues with this. I mean virtually anything is doable with a deep engine rework, but that's just out of my hand and probably also out of range of the current devs.

I can make the player or a monster change its scale. But I can't make a player shift into an animal even if the models already exist.
The game engine would have to manage armor and weapon shift as well, also skill shift maybe ? Animations would really be an issue too.
If it's already built in the engine from the start, I guess it's OK, but here, I don't really know how to do this, as awesome as it sounds.

Sometimes monsters shift, it's mainly achieved with a death animation, like Hades. When he does his "tentacle" thing, he has a new set of animations.
So if anyone knows how to do this, please contact me, but I don't think it would be easily doable for the player. Maybe use prop mesh attached around the player hands, or head ?
« Last Edit: 21 April 2020, 03:55:38 by soa »
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #3 on: 21 April 2020, 04:21:55 »
There is a is a small possibility that it can be done, for a very short time. Perhaps a single running animation with invisible skill template (like Phantom strike) and attached prop of a running bear to the player model. Just an idea. But even if it works, you wont be able to transform like the druid in diablo 2... only while you're charging. Again, that is just a theory and never tested.

Offline AlcyonV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2020, 04:28:17 »
Quote from: nargil66
There is a is a small possibility that it can be done, for a very short time. Perhaps a single running animation with invisible skill template (like Phantom strike) and attached prop of a running bear to the player model. Just an idea. But even if it works, you wont be able to transform like the druid in diablo 2... only while you're charging. Again, that is just a theory and never tested.

If it is actually doable, a powerfull charge skill with a short shapeshifting animation (or different skills with a choice between boar, or boarman, bear and werewolf for their effects) could be great.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2020, 04:44:51 by AlcyonV »

Offline rakshir

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
« Reply #5 on: 25 April 2020, 05:04:24 »
Hey soa. I don't have a lot of time to play but I'll drop a little feedback when I can. Enjoying the mod so far!

1. I ran into Goatsucker, the bat hero, in the cave where you get the quest necklace. I had cleared everything up to that point. He was absolutely unkillable. He would one shot me if I stood still, refill himself, and I could hardly dent his health bar anyway.
2. I got one of those rare arachnos poison daggers. it was "of ignition" and it had a casting speed bonus. I only mention it because I was expecting a fire affix with that name.
3. I find the vanilla flame surge spell to be useless, not only in endgame, but very early on. I don't love the way they tried to "fix" it with the lowered defense and chance of fear either. For such a short range spell, what it needs is much higher damage. That having been said, the spell template is lame as well. I don't mind the concept but I think if they would have had a wave template when they made the original game, that's what they would have used. Actually, the current template has the bolts coming out of the character's crotch or lower, which looks silly. So for what it's worth, my recommendation if you want to keep the concept would be change to wave and re-scale damage.
4. One last opinion: Speaking of flame surge, I don't love the concept of modifiers turning a cooldown skill into a no cooldown skill. I think it's much more intuitive for the player and easier to balance when a skill is just one or the other.

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 25 April 2020, 05:19:13 »

If it is actually doable, a powerfull charge skill with a short shapeshifting animation (or different skills with a choice between boar, or boarman, bear and werewolf for their effects) could be great.

After testing, it turns out it doesnt work. The prop animal becomes visible at the end of the running animation, when the player strikes. One more idea goes to the scrap... :/

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2020, 05:57:06 »
@nargil66 How about just disappear at character's place then suddenly appear at enemies place and hit them. Similar to Phantom Strit but there is now animation effect when "blink", and set the "blink" duration very short so it looks like character just teleport to enemies' place.

Offline AlcyonV

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2020, 10:41:13 »
After testing, it turns out it doesnt work. The prop animal becomes visible at the end of the running animation, when the player strikes. One more idea goes to the scrap... :/

Bad news. Thanks for having spent time to test it.

Quote from: Icefreeze
How about just disappear at character's place then suddenly appear at enemies place and hit them. Similar to Phantom Strit but there is now animation effect when "blink", and set the "blink" duration very short so it looks like character just teleport to enemies' place.

It could be a teleport skill but the initial idea was a shape-shifting skill.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2020, 10:51:52 by AlcyonV »

Offline darkdramon

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2020, 13:06:39 »
rushed through normal/epic with petmancer build. absolutely love the mod, thank you for reviving this masterpiece!
here are a few notes/suggestions/wishlist:

-in general i'm totally satisfied with act 1-act 4, haven't touch ragnarok and atlantis content before SV release - they seem lacking right now (I understand there's work to be done, heroes to be added etc)

-act 2 Telkine brings a spike in challenge compared to other content (please don't change that)), so I would suggest making nearby areas more suitable for farming (valley of kings tombs) - could you add more hero encounters / overall raise mob difficulty, since this zone becomes to easy to clean way before Telkine can be approached with decent strength.

-about other 'farming zones' - for me its: Parnassus (good mob density, good hero to monster rate), Labyrinth (same), Valley of Kings (act 2 before Telkine), act 3 seems to be filled with them and I consider it 10/10, but here are a few favourites: marduks temple, great wall (between the wall and the portal), wusao mountain - featured zones spawn top heroes with best souls imho.
so I suggest raising spawnrate of heroes/elite groups/ubers in those areas.

-about uber spawn rates: there are some bosses that spawn more often than the others, like: Calybe, Rakanizeus, Elephantsnatcher. Rare ones I encountered once-twice at most are dark nymph (act 3, been farming moss elemental so a decent amount of time, only seen her twice), blood crow (act 4 machae (?) archer is pretty rare, bloody eyes (ratman uber) super rare)), act 3 wusao mountain dragon boss (mother of flame or something, can't remember). never seen Permean Extinguisher - can someone confirm it spawns in act2? act 1 outsider boss (Melalos or something) - pretty rare (or spawns only in one-time-pass areas like Catacombs). in current version of the mod all bosses seem to be pretty killable, so is there a point in making those encounters more reachable? would love that.

-about shrines: could you add more/improve existing ones? right now only Battle and Mastery shrine seem useful; thorns, frostbite and healing are almost always avoided)) I'm thinking Path of Exile style shrines: Frostbite shrine casting frost novas around player instead of flat cold dmg; maybe Zeus shrine giving chain lighting on hit to attacks; always crit shrine; Hellraiser shrine giving flat fire dmg increase + meteors falling around player; Necromancer shrine spawning skeleton minions for a short time; Monster shrine spawning 3-5 random heroes + elite group of the act.

-and of course more heroes/elites/bosses/mercenaries are always welcome))
about adding new mercs: are there plans to add more to starting acts (normal) in the future? thing is, I don't enjoy twinked runs, but the hero souls sometimes so good and build-defining that I just have to create new character and play again through 1st zones)) I'm thinking Minotaur melee/support for act1 (white skinned, buff auras), Reptilian caster for act2, Tropical spider (crowd control, vampirism) and Neanderthal rider for act3.

thank you for your attention ;)

Offline Centurion777

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2020, 18:46:02 »
First of all, this is a great mod and amazing work  ;D
The idea is to make sylvan nymph cast her heal not only on players, but on all of his pets (with smallest hp, perhaps). If it is possible, it should make the nymph more useful in low levels.
And the last is why do you think that applying relics to epic/leg items is bad idea? The balance in mod is tough sometimes. Heroes and bosses with HUGE amount of different damage types. Challenge is cool but occasionally it's worth to feel yourself a bit more confident..) Builds creating will become more diverse and interesting too.
Thank you for your work! :))

Offline soa

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2020, 21:06:50 »
rushed through normal/epic with petmancer build. absolutely love the mod, thank you for reviving this masterpiece!

-in general i'm totally satisfied with act 1-act 4, haven't touch ragnarok and atlantis content before SV release - they seem lacking right now (I understand there's work to be done, heroes to be added etc)

-act 2 Telkine brings a spike in challenge compared to other content (please don't change that)), so I would suggest making nearby areas more suitable for farming (valley of kings tombs) - could you add more hero encounters / overall raise mob difficulty, since this zone becomes to easy to clean way before Telkine can be approached with decent strength.

-about other 'farming zones' - for me its: Parnassus (good mob density, good hero to monster rate), Labyrinth (same), Valley of Kings (act 2 before Telkine), act 3 seems to be filled with them and I consider it 10/10, but here are a few favourites: marduks temple, great wall (between the wall and the portal), wusao mountain - featured zones spawn top heroes with best souls imho.

-about uber spawn rates: there are some bosses that spawn more often than the others, like: Calybe, Rakanizeus, Elephantsnatcher. Rare ones I encountered once-twice at most are dark nymph (act 3, been farming moss elemental so a decent amount of time, only seen her twice), blood crow (act 4 machae (?) archer is pretty rare, bloody eyes (ratman uber) super rare)), act 3 wusao mountain dragon boss (mother of flame or something, can't remember). never seen Permean Extinguisher - can someone confirm it spawns in act2? act 1 outsider boss (Melalos or something) - pretty rare (or spawns only in one-time-pass areas like Catacombs). in current version of the mod all bosses seem to be pretty killable, so is there a point in making those encounters more reachable? would love that.

-about shrines: could you add more/improve existing ones? right now only Battle and Mastery shrine seem useful; thorns, frostbite and healing are almost always avoided)) I'm thinking Path of Exile style shrines: Frostbite shrine casting frost novas around player instead of flat cold dmg; maybe Zeus shrine giving chain lighting on hit to attacks; always crit shrine; Hellraiser shrine giving flat fire dmg increase + meteors falling around player; Necromancer shrine spawning skeleton minions for a short time; Monster shrine spawning 3-5 random heroes + elite group of the act.

about adding new mercs: are there plans to add more to starting acts (normal) in the future? thing is, I don't enjoy twinked runs, but the hero souls sometimes so good and build-defining that I just have to create new character and play again through 1st zones)) I'm thinking Minotaur melee/support for act1 (white skinned, buff auras), Reptilian caster for act2, Tropical spider (crowd control, vampirism) and Neanderthal rider for act3.

Those are good ideas, nonetheless I must admit I have to work in priority on the weak points of the mod. Those are Ragnarok and Atlantis, because :

- I didn't have enough time to fully flesh out the content in these areas. Acts 1-4 have already received a lot of attention over the years.
- The quality of content in act 5 and Atlantis (despite some good-looking sceneries) is inferior to the other acts, even if you take out all the SV improvements of acts 1-4. A lot of content in A5/Atlantis is recycled from other acts, sometimes on an industrial scale. Many sounds, textures models, items are recycled. So as a modder, it will take a even bigger effort to create original content here and bring those acts to the level of the other acts.
- The amount of bugs in those DLCs (in the vanilla game, not because of SV changes) is very high. A good % of the time spent to improve A5/Atlantis for SV consisted in fixing bugs. It's not easy to show and notice for players, and it doesn't make for a flashy update with cool videos and screenshots, and I still have work to do. Everyday, news bugs are found.
- The balance and consistency of those DLCs (I'm mainly speaking about items) is very low. So there is again work to do here.
- About heroes, the quantity of content is also quite low in Ragnarok : we're talking about only 41 random heroes (with weak stats, sometimes not even one skill, sometimes copycats) + 24 quest heroes or static bosses that can spawn in one of the biggest acts of the game : around 65 in total. To give you an idea of the road that lies ahead, there are more than 500 heroes and bosses in the first four acts, which is a 130+ average per act (double).
Today there are around 80 heroes + bosses in Soulvizier act 5, all with souls. They will need improvements, new skills, and more buddy heroes to make it comparable with other acts.

Atlantis vanilla is about 40 heroes (+ some bosses), but it's shorter. I don't know yet if all Atlantis heroes actually work in the game.
I haven't added anything new to Atlantis compared to vanilla due to lack of time (except more monster spawn and some recycling formulas for relics).
Any ideas and concepts for new monsters/heroes, or ideas for reworked monsters with new skills in act 5 and Atlantis are welcomed.

Other acts will have some improvements too, I think act I deserves some because being the first, it's the one that is played the most, so diversity is always a plus.
Plans for new contracts are again, in priority where the game lacks contracts : Epic, Legendary, act 5, Atlantis.

So I agree in general with all your ideas, new shrines may also benefit all acts ; but I need to focus more on act 5 and Atlantis content, balance, and bug fixes, before improving things that are already in good shape.

Offline soa

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2020, 21:32:56 »
First of all, this is a great mod and amazing work  ;D
The idea is to make sylvan nymph cast her heal not only on players, but on all of his pets (with smallest hp, perhaps). If it is possible, it should make the nymph more useful in low levels.
And the last is why do you think that applying relics to epic/leg items is bad idea? The balance in mod is tough sometimes. Heroes and bosses with HUGE amount of different damage types. Challenge is cool but occasionally it's worth to feel yourself a bit more confident..) Builds creating will become more diverse and interesting too.
Thank you for your work! :))
I'll try, now the nymph is set to heal the strongest ally, and only when the enemy is visible.
I think that there is also a bug with nymph now, if you put her on aggressive (the stance in the middle of the list) she will act as "Normal" stance. I will fix that in 1.6.

About balance : I know the game is hard (I've already reduced the damage and toughness of enemies compared to classic SV).
I will give more tools to the player to fight more efficiently.
But adding relics to Epic and Legendary items is not a good way to do that. Because green items will immediately become useless.
My aim is to give a bigger choice of unique items for the player (not by necessarily adding new items, but by allowing the player to find more of them and find those suited for his build), and allow to add affixes to those unique items with a reusable forge like act 5, in all acts (that will need to be balanced).

Offline Telkin

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +2
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2020, 23:46:07 »

Question for you, if i may ask, how many deaths you have had when was playing summoner and what class did you go? I m trying to hunt for some achievments like "hardcore" (zero deaths), and i want to have less then 100 kills count.

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2020, 00:05:54 »
The biggest obstacle with more types of shrines is emulating the vanilla style of using the fixed item/ accessory slots in the proxy. Come to find out, you can use monster proxy pools for fixed item spawns to use the much larger array of slots in the proxy pool template.

I personally enjoy using templates in ways they weren't intended mwa ha ha

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal