Author Topic: What Am I Doing Wrong?  (Read 11050 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
What Am I Doing Wrong?
« on: 21 May 2020, 20:13:15 »
I just recently got to Act 5: Ragnarok with my Conqueror. This is the first time I've ever gotten to Act 5 as a player. I beat Atlantis yesterday and finished the first quest of Act 5. By the way, Corinth in my opinion has the best music of any city or town in the game.

With my Conqueror, I've been investing stat points in a ratio of 2:1. For every two points I put into strength, I put on into dexterity. Physical damage is more important to a conqueror as it is his/her style of damage judging from the available skills. Currently I've put 62 points into strength and 31 into dexterity. If I follow this to the max level, I'll have 124 points in strength and 62 in dexterity, so I'm halfway there now!

Still, there have been some places where I've struggled. I've had some close calls fighting certain monsters such as one of the generals in Hades' Palace and one of the generals in Atlantis. Often I find that the enemies are dealing too much damage to me at once and I'm not dealing enough. Even when I had a weapon with life leech, I wasn't dealing enough damage for the life recovery to be high enough to not depend on potions for healing. This even though I had maxed Onslaught by the middle of Act 4. I've also maxed Weapon Training, Triumph, and Ardor. All other important skills have one point in them, including the Adrenaline tree, Battle Rage, Battle Standard, Batter, Rend Armor, Shield Charge, Hamstring, Disruption, Colossus, Unyielding Phalanx, War Wind, War Horn, Doom Horn, Slam, the Battle Awareness Tree, and the three shield passive attacks. I had tried out Ancestral Horn, but the damage was pitiful so I got rid of it with help from a mystic. When I got to Act 5, I went to the mystic and removed the points I had invested in Dodge Attack and Ignore Pain and then put them into Rally and Defiance for more life recovery, elemental resistances, and damage reflection which would be more useful. I also started buying and wearing items that increased health by flat numbers and percentages. Maybe that's why I had some problems earlier in the game, because I wasn't using certain skills and spending points on skills that I didn't need yet. I think some of those skills are more useful in later difficulties are thus not worth getting in Normal.

What am I doing wrong? Am I going to have problems when using other classes? How can I avoid making the same mistakes with other builds?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: What Am I Doing Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 21:59:10 »
Well, you're not going to be able to max all the skills.  And you don't even need a point in each of them either.  Plus more Dex helps your DA which helps you survive.  Iirc this is what my old Conqueror back when I played the disc version looked like.

https://www.tqcalc.com/TitanCalc738c738c738c.html?mastery=Conquerer&master1=5&master2=3&sa=21&m1=32-8-1-0-6-12-0-0-6-6-6-12-0-0-6-8-6-6-0-1-6-0-0-0-0&m2=32-6-0-8-0-8-6-0-0-0-0-0-0-6-0-0-0-0-0-6-0-0-0-0-0

I don't like having a lot of skills I have to keep pushing buttons for and it's probably not the best build out there.  I got to the end of the game with it though albeit with 60+ deaths, but it was my first toon more or less and I was learning the game at the time. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2020, 15:05:27 »
Generals in Hades' Palace have high spike damage so it's perfectly normal if you struggled against them when playing self-found.

Nothing wrong in the way you spent skill points, Onslaught, Weapon Training, Triumph, and Ardor maxxed, are must have skills.
The shield proc Pulverize has to be maxxed also asap. You can consider maxxing Battle standard for boss/hero fights and Focus/quick recovery as soon as you find a good shield.

What is your weapon ? Conqueror heavily depends on gear, in particular weapon and shield. You may improve it by simply making merchant runs.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2020, 16:36:03 »
How often do merchants change their stock?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2020, 21:41:24 »
Merchants sell weapons related to the level zone. So if you search for the best upper range, travel between the 2 or 3 last merchants using waypoints. Each time he will propose you a new stock. It may be boring though, so take 5 or 10 mins from time to time, doing such merchant runs. it's rewarding over time.

As a conqueror, ideally what you search is a fast or very fast green weapon with a prefix and a suffix among these:

Prefix:
Cruel (and the upgrades brutal, savage, ferocious): +XX% physical damage, flat OA
Cyclopean (and the upgrades Herculean, titanic): +XX% physical damage, +X% str
Colossal: XX flat damage (excellent on a very fast weapon)
Despot (and the upgrade Tyrant's) +XX% total damage
Relentless: +XX% physical damage, + XX% attack speed
Veteran: + XX % physical damage, + XX% attack speed; +XX% OA

Suffix:
of speed (upgrades of haste, of alacrity) : +XX% attack speed
of carnage (upgrades of destruction, of devastation, of annihilation, of chaos, of havoc): + XX% physical damage, + X flat damage
of devouring: +XX% adcth (don't bother with of feasting too low)
of reckless power: XX% physical damage, XX% attack speed, X% str
of the betrayer (25% chance of XX Reduced resistances)
of trickery (15% AS, 8% dodge)

This list is not exhaustive but iirc is representative of the good perks.
If you search for a veteran weapon of annihilation, you won't find it, the probability of finding such a godly weapon is so tiny... But as you see, there is a broad range of possibilities.
When doing these runs, you can also check for a hallowed head armor (XX % vit res and +1 skill), hale rings (ideally hale ring of immortality).

Another tip is with undeads: check all the completion bonuses when relic/ charms are completed. From time to time you will find a +50% damage to undead (exist also for demons). Therefore it's useful to have a 2nd set of weapon/shield with this bonus. Swap weapon when encountering lots of undeads and life will be easier. Finally don't leave Normal Act 5 without having completed the essence of Persephone tears. Put it on a ring and wear it in epic before entering a big cave full of undeads. Therefore you won't be annoyed with melee undead and you will be able to charge directly to the dangerous mage undeads.

Oh this is a wall text.. I stop here.
Finally note that a green weapon with good affixes is better than any blue and often better than a random purple weapon (of the same level).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jros83

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2020, 15:57:42 »
Might want to consider devoting more attention to DEX than you have been. It will increase your Defensive Ability which helps in making mobs miss you and reducing how often you get crit when they do connect. Also, it raises your Offensive Ability as well so you'll hit more, and possibly crit more if your OA is sufficiently higher than your target's DA. So right there that will help both your damage output and your survivability.

Also as Medea said earlier you do not need, nor is it advisable, to get a point in every skill. Figure out which skills work the best for you and go heavy on those; skills you barely ever use or skills that don't seem to suit you, you should see an alchemist and buy those points back and invest them elsewhere.

I don't play War + Def, but I play Def + Dream; I can't speak towards dual-wielding, but, if you like to use shields, I highly suggest investing in the shield passives (Smash, Disable, Pulverize). You might not think so but  shield can put out very nice damage with those passives, possibly exceeding your primary weapon (in a one hit to one hit comparison of course... certainly not in DPS).

Unless you ever plan on using a mace (and apparently axes) I suggest not bothering with that stun passive skill. You're going to want to use fast and very fast weapons and have your attack speed as high as you can; being that you have Warfare, I don't think you'd mind that. The high attack speed will cause the shield passives to proc (occur) more.

I also suggest investing in Rally; it's a nice emergency heal even if you never use it for its passive buffs. Also, I suggest investing in Adrenaline/Resilience/Defensive Reaction. Adrenaline will cause you to boost your health regen when it procs, but it really shines in its higher tiers: Resilience causes Adrenaline to proc more often (all presupposing you take damage, since Adrenaline depends on taking damage) and Defensive Reaction boosts your attack speed and damage (I think it also adds bleeding to your attacks). Even if you don't care about Adrenaline's boost to health regen, you'll want it, and want Resilience, so you can get Defensive Reaction.

Just my thoughts. I'm finishing Act 4 Epic, already finished Atlantis Epic, with heavy Defense investment and it's worked pretty well this way.

Later on, when/if you can get Unyielding Phalanx... Take it. If you get to a point where you got your skills worked out and you can spend some "luxury" skill points, put points in to Phalanx. That skill is straight up broken and stupidly OP in the best way possible... lol... I can only imagine what it would be like coupled with whatever the skill is Warriors get... Ancestral Horn or something?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 16:14:41 by jros83 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jros83

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2020, 16:01:36 »
[double post]

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2020, 00:38:25 »
Until I maxed both masteries, I've been spending two skill points a level on leveling up the mastery and the other on a skill. If I don't have any skills available that would benefit my build, I'd spent it on the mastery. I finally maxed both masteries by middle-late Orient. Of course, this meant that a lot of skills only had one point in them. So I figured that for my next complete playthrough, I should do things differently.

When I started the Conqueror, I started with the Defense Mastery and spent my first skill point on getting Batter. Of course, I had to do some extra grinding in order to take on Nessus. I didn't attempt to fight him until I got Rend Armor. Until then, I had a point each in Shield Smash, Disable, Shield Charge, Adrenaline, Resilience, Battle Awareness, and Focus.

How can I spend my skill points better? What are some tips for spending skill points wisely early in the game for other masteries? What do you all do? I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 02 June 2020, 07:16:59 »
Depends on the character/build.  For most I do like you did, one point in the skills I want to use, the rest in mastery bars.  If Warfare using Onslaught though, that gets maxed early as does Call of the Wild to get 2 wolves out asap.  I don't go all the way up the mastery bars because I haven't found any of the new skills that interesting so usually just stop at L32 (old mastery limit).  A few builds I have I'll be less than that on one of the mastery bars.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DwayneA

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2020, 16:58:47 »
With my Conqueror, I started with the Defense Mastery. Should I start with the Warfare mastery next time I make a Conqueror? How do you decide which mastery to start on first? What other skills are worth maxing on other masteries as soon as possible?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 03 June 2020, 07:03:41 »
That's up to you, there's no right or wrong way to do it.  If you play Spirit and use Ternion, then maxing that and it's synergy Arcane Lore can be a good idea, but it's energy hungry so may need to just use it for boss fights and use ordinary staff attacks for mobs until you're a higher level and have more energy/regen.  Squall/Obscure Visibility is another skill people like to max early since it'll deal with mobs easily for you.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2020, 13:11:19 »
hello DwayneA. i used to be an active TQ player and forumer.. there is an old TQ rule that you can follow and it actually helps beginners and experienced players alike: flat first, percentile later.. that actually goes against what Medea said about onslaught.. but heh I'm sure i would agree with many things she says so i don't think she minds. actually i think I've read something like that from a conqueror guide written long ago (about onslaught i mean)

the reasoning behind flat first, percentile later is... well, i think you will understand it yourself clearly if you think more about it and you learn more about the game.. %damage is based on your flat damage. so if your flat damage is still low, the return is also low.

by that rule, you can look at the skills and determine what helps you early by maxing the skill early.
like wood lore from hunting for example. it's not damage but the % and flat rule also applies to the DA gain. iirc, i used to put 1 pt here per lvl up
another example is magical charge from rune
rogue, assuming you want to put points on str (rogue is actually a very good caster), calculated strike and it's upgrade, then using a thrown weapon is very good early game. reason is it has high flat damage, and thrown is fast so the 4th attack triggers more often. plus thrown is projectile so every 4th hit it passes through enemies
warfare, it's been a long time but i think what i used to max here early is ardor. a mistake dual wield warfare players can make is to go dual wield too early. it's only worth it if you have a few points on all the dual wield skills already. it doesn't matter for a conqueror
defense, my memory is even vaguer here but i think it's either batter or shield charge depending on your choice, and the shield attack passive skills, particularly the last one
spirit, assuming it's an int build, ternion and it's upgrade
nature, i generally don't start with nature because I'm just not a petmaster player. but i guess wolves. nature goes well with everything but i like it as a secondary mastery

i wrote about storm, earth, and dream casters here:
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=908.0
i seem to recall you said you came from diablo 2? casters are built differently here than in d2. in d2, spells don't scale with any stat. here, int will boost your spells.. and storm and earth (and rune if you consider it a caster) are self-supporting masteries already. so you don't need too many %ele damage from items. what you need is reduced energy cost, %recharge, or both. and of course cast speed

for conqueror, i say start warfare first because the first 2 acts are pretty easy and defense isn't needed yet. man, from my experience, you have to be a super noob to mess up a conqueror. so i don't think you will find it super hard. it's not boasting. it's just the general feel of most TQ players

last, this isn't a general rule since the old days. this one just comes from me: while leveling up early game, don't focus on 2 masteries at the same time. spend a few points on your 2nd mastery if you will but spend most of your points on 1 mastery first. this way you will get to the high tiered skills earlier. Atlantis skills though pssshhhh meh. most of the time it's better to stop at 32 and only get the lvl 40 skills when your character is high leveled already (sometimes it's not even worth getting them)

ps: I'm sorry everyone i was silent for a long time. i admit TQ just disappeared from my life some time ago. then what this pandemic has done to basically the whole world is just crazy. i actually have relatives who got hit by the virus, and got hit badly at that. but hey this is not the place to talk about that so..... gg yo
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2020, 13:24:48 »
Welcome back, I hope all is good with you and people around you :)
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2020, 13:32:02 »
hey yeah sorry i wasn't able to reply.. and i just said
i actually have relatives who got hit by the virus, and got hit badly at that.
so yeah that's unfortunate. but me I'm alive and ok
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 03 June 2020, 13:47:10 »
Hope they recover soon bote. 

Yeah I get your point about the flat and %, but also the AE version of the game cut back on the % you get on Onslaught anyway.  Maxed in titancalc it's 50%, in tqcalc it's only 26%.  :(

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal