Author Topic: Is it possible to change the spread on Ternion attack back?  (Read 8135 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DrPraetor

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -5
  I'm not saying it'd be an improvement, I'm just curious.

I can find the Ternion damage #s and such just fine, and I can find:
skillConnectionSpacing,62,
  which seems like a strange name but is that the angle?  In... degrees?  So the three projectiles make a 124 degree cone at present?

Does anyone know what number it was before?  I had a physical copy of the original game but I have no idea where it is (and my new machine doesn't have a DVD drive.)

As a distinct problem, I don't think my ArchiveTool.exe works (therefore the ARC Encryptor GUI doesn't either).  I can use ARZExplorer to *open* the records but I can't repack them.  Is there another tool somewhere that makes .arz archives?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Is it possible to change the spread on Ternion attack back?
« Reply #1 on: 16 August 2018, 09:35:59 »
I think ternion spread angle is under Projectile Config tab: drift min/max.
You can build your changes as a mod in Art Manager.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DrPraetor

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 16 August 2018, 21:35:18 »
  Okay, if I do the seemingly obvious in the art manager:
Database -> Import Record -> Ternion
  I get an error message.

Is there something wrong with my install (?).  Am I supposed to copy database.arz into the working directory it has set up?

Is there a *very basic* mod tutorial on how to change numbers for skills and the like?  There's a lot of more advanced info on this forum but I feel there's a fair amount of heavy lifting before I would try adding a dragon-rider or something.

Other basic question - are .arz and .arc files actually different?  If I pack my database records into database.arc and just rename it database.arz, and dump that into the database directory, should that work?

------

Ah, indeed, iceshard also has:
Code: [Select]
skillConnectionSpacing,62,  but has none of the following fields defined:
driftMin,6.000000,
driftMax,6.000000,
skillProjectileNumber,3,  but it has instead
projectileLaunchNumber,1,  which is weird, but I guess references the templates somehow?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #3 on: 16 August 2018, 23:12:10 »
  Okay, if I do the seemingly obvious in the art manager:
Database -> Import Record -> Ternion
  I get an error message.

Is there something wrong with my install (?).  Am I supposed to copy database.arz into the working directory it has set up?

Is there a *very basic* mod tutorial on how to change numbers for skills and the like?  There's a lot of more advanced info on this forum but I feel there's a fair amount of heavy lifting before I would try adding a dragon-rider or something.

Other basic question - are .arz and .arc files actually different?  If I pack my database records into database.arc and just rename it database.arz, and dump that into the database directory, should that work?

------

Ah, indeed, iceshard also has:
skillConnectionSpacing,62,  but has none of the following fields defined:
driftMin,6.000000,
driftMax,6.000000,
skillProjectileNumber,3,  but it has instead
projectileLaunchNumber,1,  which is weird, but I guess references the templates somehow?

I'll sit down and look at your problem later.

But about .arz and .arc files. ARZ are files that contain the entirety of your database. ARC are archives that contain all sorts of data that are readable by the game.

ARCs can only be generated by the Art Manager when you build your mod.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mountainblade

• TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 17 August 2018, 00:03:30 »
dont have tq installed right now to access art manager, but iirc skill connection spacing is a UI thing. Like the bars that connect skills to their modifiers.

altering the projectile should either be under skillconfig, or there might be a tab just called projectile.

but it sounds like the crux of your issue is that you havent set up the artmanager and unpacked the database, which is a bear, but is still necessary for even minor tweaks. Someone can link to the Poinas guide to creating a custom mastery, which probably has the best step by step guide on how to start.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DrPraetor

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 17 August 2018, 00:27:09 »
@mountainblade -  thank you, clearly I don't understand what's going on.
  So following instructions here:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-how-to-create-a-custom-mastery-guide-by-poinas/
  Thank you.

So in addition to misunderstanding how to build mods generally (I was going to text edit these files by hand?  No?), I'm misunderstanding something:
https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-how-to-install-configure-and-play-downloaded-maps-and-mods/

can "soft mods" actually change the rules of the game, or do they just let you run custom maps?

If I create a soft mod with a .arc file that only contains a few items - like, just the ternion attack file - will it default to entries in database.arz unless I overwrite them?  So anything not included would be as in the standard game?

Assuming that I need a hard mod, if I build a .arc file "database.arc" that contains records and everything below records, and rename it to "database.arz", will the game be able to read it?

Also, I'd like to test this but I'm having trouble finding something that would be quick and obvious to see that my mod had done something.

Thanks much again!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DrPraetor

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 18 August 2018, 01:14:41 »
  OKAY.  I've got the art manager working and I can play my mod with various rules changes.

Now, question - in playing my mod, can I complete the entire game (go from map to map, do all the quests, and so on?)

OR - if I want to play the main game with mods instead of just a custom map , do I need to hardmod the original database.arz (it looks like having extracted the entire database, I can now *rebuild* the entire database and slot that in to replace database.arz?  Is that how hardmods work?)

Thank you all very much!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #7 on: 18 August 2018, 14:21:59 »
If you launch your mod with an empty map file, you will be redirected to the main game and the modifications done by your mod will be applied for this session.

You do not need to mess with the files of the original game. Is that what you asked?

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 18 August 2018, 21:28:00 »
« Last Rated on: 23 September 2020, 00:50:38 »
...OR - if I want to play the main game with mods instead of just a custom map , do I need to hardmod the original database.arz (it looks like having extracted the entire database, I can now *rebuild* the entire database and slot that in to replace database.arz?  Is that how hardmods work?)

You don't need to rebuild the entire database to make a hard mod. Here is an easier way:

1. Copy the original game database.arz and place it in the Database folder of you mod.
2. Rename or delete your mod's "xxxx.arz" (whatever it's name is) and after rename the original database to the name or your mod's database.
3. In Art Manager, load your mod and click "Build". This way the changes will be integrated into the renamed main database.
4. Copy this renamed database back to the TQAE/Database folder. Backup or rename the normal database.arz from whic you made a copy, and rename the changed one to databaze.arz instead.
5. Launch the game and play from main. If you did everything right, the game will have your changed skills.

In your case tho, you extracted the entire database, so you can try first to import only the files you altered to a new mod, before doing the above steps.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2018, 21:32:45 by nargil66 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline DrPraetor

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 25 August 2018, 22:40:57 »
  That answers my questions quite thoroughly, and thank you very much.

I could've sworn I saw a two-bows mod at one point when TQ came out, and that's one (of a category) of things I can't figure out how you'd change.

I thought it might somehow be inherited from WeaponHunting_Bow - WeaponHunting_Bow.tpl ? 
  But... okay, no, there's a "weapon_bow.tpl" which has an entry explain it is *named* "WeaponHunting_Bow".  Note - seemingly this is easier to find if I open the .dbr files as text than if I look at them in the art manager?

But when I compare "weapon_bow.tpl" and "weapon_rangedonehand.tpl", I don't see how the handedness is specified?  Is it in the individual records for bows and I somehow missed it?  Is it some other file that's being loaded which specifies the handedness (and maybe other features inherited by all members of a weapon class)?

Am I asking the wrong questions?  *This is what I actually want to do*:
I want to make bows wieldable with shields but not off-handed or with two weapons (as spears currently are, right?)
For extra credit, only lighter shields would be allowed with bows.
For extra credit on top of that, the shield would be on the bow arm rather than on the draw arm when worn with a bow.  I think this would remain beyond my ken, but if there's an easy way to do it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks much!

--DrP

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tqFan

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2020, 11:25:07 »
Have you finished your Ternion mod? If so would you be so kind to share it?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tqFan

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2020, 00:59:22 »
...OR - if I want to play the main game with mods instead of just a custom map , do I need to hardmod the original database.arz (it looks like having extracted the entire database, I can now *rebuild* the entire database and slot that in to replace database.arz?  Is that how hardmods work?)

You don't need to rebuild the entire database to make a hard mod. Here is an easier way:

1. Copy the original game database.arz and place it in the Database folder of you mod.
2. Rename or delete your mod's "xxxx.arz" (whatever it's name is) and after rename the original database to the name or your mod's database.
3. In Art Manager, load your mod and click "Build". This way the changes will be integrated into the renamed main database.
4. Copy this renamed database back to the TQAE/Database folder. Backup or rename the normal database.arz from whic you made a copy, and rename the changed one to databaze.arz instead.
5. Launch the game and play from main. If you did everything right, the game will have your changed skills.

In your case tho, you extracted the entire database, so you can try first to import only the files you altered to a new mod, before doing the above steps.
Thanks a ton for that! Noob modding is so easy when you know how!
I used your trick to make a hard mod causing  Heat Shield from Earth mastery to be self-casted (without the need to click on your character) so that I can autocast it with AutoHotkey more easily. I don't even need to recast it now since it's lost the duration too. When I'm bored with Flame Surge Inanna skinned Conjurer I'll try modding Ternion.

Btw I had some problems with editing .dbr files in the Art Manager but in the end just did it in Notepad++.
« Last Edit: 23 September 2020, 01:15:41 by tqFan »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal