Author Topic: Earth: An Attempt at a Comprehensive Guide [Ragnarök]  (Read 53445 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Earth: An Attempt at a Comprehensive Guide [Ragnarök]
« Reply #45 on: 08 September 2018, 06:49:05 »
1) they do scale with attack speed and that's the problem.. if they scale with cast speed instead it would be easier.. I've played many casters.. it's difficult to up your attack speed as well as cast speed because aside from cast speed you also need CDR, all skills, resists, and something that helps with energy.. the other problem with a non-ternion staff attack is it's only single target

2) it has but it's not easy to use again and again

3) with 80% CDR, cooldown becomes 1 sec.. so semi spam is the correct term

4) mine is a str + int earth + nature.. weapon + shield but doesn't attack with a weapon.. already found a good bracers on my TQvault: nerthus armbands
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: 08 September 2018, 07:01:14 »
Those are nice armbands. I see they are level 44. What act/difficulty are you in with your char?

I just found The Small Torch throwing weapon and it is nice. I replaced my staff of the magi with that. This allows me to use a shield now. I'm like level 16 and just reached Athens. You guys are right about Eruption! It's been effective so far with only 2 points into it. It's kind of fun cycling between VO and Eruption. That's essentially how I'm playing right now. if anything survives those 2 spells, I just shred them apart with The Small Torch. Not sure how effective this playstyle will be in the long run, but it's fun so far! In fact, this has been a breath of fresh air playing a Fire Mage.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline XAos

• Visitor
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: 11 September 2018, 11:09:29 »
Eruption + Stone Form is a good combo. When you see a hoard of enemies rushing towards you. Cast both. At the end of 8 seconds the charging horde is ash. Your health is 100% and the recharge on Eruption is 8-seconds closer to a reset.

Only result that would be better is to reduce casting & recharge times. so you could maintain both perpetually. But that might be game breaking :D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: 14 September 2018, 20:23:02 »
Sorry; I'm back for now, though I can't tell how long it'll last.

In a more or less random order:

Staves

In Normal Greece, Glowing Rod can turn you into an engine of destruction. +2 to Volcanic Orb when you likely only have one point in it is absolutely phenomenal and you'll see yourself one-shot entire groups with some good timing.

Pharaoh's Standard is what you want, early on. It might very well last into epic and even legendary if you don't get lucky with other drops. That thing can drop as early as Normal Egypt and it's absolutely fantastic. Recharge reduction, energy cost reduction, fire damage bonus, burn damage bonus, and a few minor things, but what else do you need? It's everything an Earth caster needs rolled into a very stylish package. If you have one, don't hesitate to give it a try!

Blastos Fotia: I've never had it drop, hard as I tried. It looks amazing until you get the late-game legendary staves. Huge fire and burn damage bonuses, bonuses to some skills, and even a casting speed bonus. The attack speed bonus seems largely wasted, however.

Eye of Osiris: I'm not entirely sure about endgame staves, really, but Eye of Osiris seems a really good candidate. Pretty good bonus to fire and burn damage, and +2 to all Earth skills means you're half-covered in your more important mastery already. The fire resistance is likely going to be redundant, but poison resistance is nice. Reduction to requirements and the other bonuses don't seem very impactful, though. On the other hand, if you're into that kind of thing, you can do a really good Eye-themed pyromancer with Eye of Osiris, Eye of Flame and Eye of Ra, all of which obviously work really well together! It might not be the most effective, but it's fun.

Goldbristle: I don't have one, so can't tell. The elemental damage bonus, recharge reduction and bonus to all skills look pretty neat, and it seems to have some decent resistances.

Heka Staff: While I'd personally probably stick to pure fire staves for thematic reasons, you're unlikely to use staff attacks at this point, and the huge recharge and energy cost reduction drives a hard bargain. No fire or burn damage bonus, though.

Staff of the Cosmos: I'm planning to revisit my Elementalist sometime, and this seems to be my staff of choice. Bonus to elemental damages, energy cost reduction, and an enormous increase in casting speed. This and Archmage's Clasp should have you pretty much covered.

Can't think of more right now.

As for Flame Surge, I agree: It's better, but it's still underwhelming. As a caster, you don't really want to be close enough to enemies for it to work. Still, if you get its recharge to zero (one of the few skills for which it is possible), you'll utterly mow down melee mobs before they'd have a chance to lay a hand on you. Still, almost all Earth casters will have better alternatives; Summoner seems to be the sole exception, and it actually synergizes well with Flame Surge with its superior durability and Briar Ward.

If you want to focus on Earth, and more specifically Volcanic Orb and Eruption, you'll probably want a supporting secondary mastery. I'd probably recommend Nature. You get more summons to distract enemies, Plague and especially Susceptibility to lower both their elemental and physical resistances to further increase the rate at which you murder them, a quasi-energy-cost-reduction in Tranquility of Water (bit ironic, though), and some other neat survivability stuff, though they're really not all that important if you ask me. Your secondary mastery's purpose should be to allow you to incinerate enemies even faster, and I think that most of the other masteries would more serve as distractions, and wouldn't be as effective at supporting your playstyle. But I could be wrong. (That said, Elementalists are still incredibly cool.)

Nerthus Armbands is pretty good, especially if you do go down the Summoner route, but I'm not sure I'd take it over Archmage's Clasp. Still, bonus skills, recharge reduction, and resistances. The casting speed bonus is pretty tiny, unfortunately.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: 18 September 2018, 04:56:52 »
my nephew's prophet uses a caduceus.. not for attacks but for %lightning and EBD + resists.. non-ternion staff attacks just get laughable late game.. he didn't continue ragnarok and ragnarok probably have OP staves.. the new devs are crazy

archmage's clasp is probably BiS for any mage it's just difficult to find.. I got 3 nerthus armbands by just playing through the game

anyway i just want to say that i got back to playing and started this mage summoner.. I'll make a thread of it soon.. and of course i don't use a staff
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #50 on: 03 December 2018, 08:48:03 »
- Flame Surge, Barrage, Flame Arch: you no need get items that -%recharge to make it zero delay, if you have items that +4 all/Earth/Barrage skill(s), Flame Surgue will have no recharge/cool down time.
- Ring of Flame, Soften Metal: RoF is not worth to invest to max skill, its cost too much energy to deal that fire dmg per tick. Soften Metal can be usefull for Physical/Physical Hybrid Melee Character, by it -armor and reduced enemies's OA.
- Stone Form, Motel Rock: SF can combine with Reflecting dmg build greats.
- Core Dweller can be use like a cheese bait to lure enemies/boss come close to you, far away from their crowd, it very useful when playing in xmax, massboss on some bosses.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal