Author Topic: Shuriken Storm  (Read 8627 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Shuriken Storm
« on: 17 March 2018, 00:22:20 »
Of course I'm not quite there yet.

First of all, thanks to @botebote77 for the very idea that spurred me on this journey. For details, see the discussion here: https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=169.msg3290#msg3290

Long story short, I was pretty awestruck when I saw Jagged Silk, but not in my most far-fetched dreams did I think that separate instances of Volley would stack. Botebote suggested that they would, and quick testing suggests that they indeed do - so it's time to do something crazy.

I've only started recently, and wouldn't have started a thread just yet, but things happened - lots of them, in fact - and decided to do so anyway.

I started out with Rune (was pretty sure I'd want Rune, but wanted some more time to decide whether to go with Hunting or Rogue). Eventually went for Hunting to become a Dragon Hunter. Unlike any other character I've had so far, I've been juggling masteries back and forth; instead of focusing on maxing one of them, getting all the skills I was interested in, and then focusing on the other, I started out with Rune, then went for Hunting until I got Marksmanship, then back to Rune for Reckless Offense, and now I'm maxing Hunting to get Volley. After that... We'll see.

I'm already at two deaths. First is probably the earliest and most shameful death I've had - the first time the undead show up (in the graveyard next to the guy who wants to deliver potions to Tegea), I got caught off-guard by a few Plague Birds just as I'd run out of Health Potions. Embarrassing, but oh well. Second was Lysia Spellbreaker, who's always an annoyance, but this was the first time she was a lethal one.

The main reason why I started this thread so early is the selection of loot I got. I found a Copper Hunting Hatchet around level 2, was pretty happy about it, eager to use (it was not magical, but its base damage was by far higher than anything else available at its level). Good, then just after killing the first Satyr Brute a chest dropped Hand of Lycurgus. I thought wow, I was set for a long time - it is actually really good. Then not long after...

A Hoi Polloi dropped from a Sepulcher, I think. Same DPS as Lycurgus, but it also comes with Volley... Awesome. I found two Small Torches later. The in-game DPS meter gives a higher figure for them, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't calculate with Volley. I'm still dual-wielding them in the secondary slot against undead, who aren't quite as susceptible to pierce damage (I use Rune Weapon with them, too, for fun). It's a bit of a shame that Small Torches look and sound like knives and don't even have fire on them. If the burn damage procs, however, they one-shot any non-boss undead. (Also, got my Will of Horus out of the stash to dual-wield along with Hoi Polloi.)

Another reason why I went with starting the thread is skills. It occurs to me that I wouldn't want or need too many skills from either mastery. Marksmanship is fine, but Rune Weapon might work better in the end, as Puncture Shot Arrows and Scatter Shot Arrows don't seem to work with thrown weapons (I haven't tried, entirely based on their descriptions). Wood Lore is something I always go for with Hunting, but considering that Jagged Silk gives a huge bonus to attack speed and dual-wielding attack speed with thrown weapons is capped at 141%, it doesn't seem very useful at all - maybe for the defensive ability when I'm out of skills to put points into. Which leaves me with Art of the Hunt, Study Prey, Volley, and Herbal Remedy, as well as Marksmanship; Runeword: Burn, Reckless Offense, and potentially Rune Weapon in Rune. Probably Guardian Stones as well. Energy Armor, useful as it is, seems out of the question.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: Shuriken Storm
« Reply #1 on: 17 March 2018, 00:57:17 »
high five

I'm still drooling at the idea of 2 jagged silks + max volley.. add in runeword:explode/burn + study prey.. total annihilation.. shame that i haven't found any jagged silk yet

also try menhir wall.. got the idea first from @Tauceti that higher skill levels would result in more stones

borrowed your pic Tauceti

edit: speaking of 2 jagged silks, do you guys know that it's still possible to duplicate an item through dvalin's simulacrum? but very weird circumstances must be met first
« Last Edit: 17 March 2018, 01:17:07 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CrocMagnum

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2018, 15:57:13 »
Nice thread Firbrand. 8)

Since you’re tinkering with a Dragon Hunter, which seems a strong class on paper, I have 2 questions:

- does Runeword : Explode work with Scatter Shot?

- in the 1.54 update it is mentioned "Transmutation is now permanently active (but still requires Rune Weapon)"

Does that mean that all the bonuses from the Transmutation tree (Damage converted to Health, Energy Leech, Elemental Damage Conversion,...) can now work with the Marksmaship tree? (I had in mind "Puncture Shot" & "Scatter Shot") If yes then Dragon Hunter is a very strong class that pretty much sustains itself. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 16:10:17 by CrocMagnum »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2018, 22:00:08 »
CrocMagnum, only transmutation is permanent.. not magical charge and energy drain

haven't played around it yet but i think the change can either be good or bad.. i mean what if you deal physical and elemental and you only want transmutation to be active when you use rune weapon.. it can be bad for hybrids maybe
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2018, 00:12:42 »
I actually played around with the thought. Not with my Dragon Hunter, but with a Berserker. Both Onslaught and Rune Weapon are charge-based, so I figured that for fun I could try binding one of them to the left and the other to the right mouse button, use them alternatingly to keep the additional bonuses of each one up.

Now for the actual progress: Just entered Normal Act III. Mass destruction has already begun. A few levels back (around the middle of Egypt) I finally unlocked the last tier of Hunting skills, and with it, Volley. (I so wanted it that I even skipped Study Prey to get it sooner.) With +2 to all Hunting skills (one from Charioteer's Quiver - fantastic item - and one from a Sentinel's Armbands I got as a random drop, been using Theban Bracers before), and with the fact that it's already almost maxed, and with the Hoi Polloi I'm still using back from Greece, I regularly have triple Volley streaks. Reckless Offense and Runeword: Burn are still only at four points each, but I'm getting there.

More importantly, I've discovered that Puncture Shot Arrows and Scatter Shot Arrows both work with thrown weapons. I was assuming they wouldn't, considering how Marksmanship's text has been adapted to thrown weapons, but the other two's texts (and names) have not, but it's not the case. So that's yet more throwing murder for us. I haven't put any points into Runeword: Explode yet, though, but Runeword: Burn does work with Scatter Shot (the base projectile, I think, but not the fragments - not that I'm certain).

I found a bunch of Rungus in Egypt. It's pretty weird that they're so obviously oriented towards Hunting, yet have no pierce ratio - still, their DPS is barely below Will of Horus, so I might just switch that out.

By the way, I'm using Moonclaw for the Honed Weapon - pretty powerful! I wonder when I'll find an amulet good enough to replace it, especially that from epic and onwards on melee and ranged characters I tend to use amulets for attack speed (like Shifting Beads), but with a dual thrower, attack speed isn't that much of a consideration (already at 133%).

Things go down fast. I took special pleasure in destroying Sensunet Mal, my Stonespeaker's bane. I can hardly wait for those Jagged Silks. Speaking of which, I should go farm myself a second one sometime.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2018, 00:49:12 »
I regularly have triple Volley streaks.
damn this would really be uber volley

question: i think there's no way you ignore thunder strike.. so does volley proc off thunder strike? lol how many projectiles would that release?
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2018, 01:26:07 »
In fact, I have been ignoring Thunder Strike, yes. I have a point in it, as well as a point in Unleash, but I haven't really been using it, and the reason for that is simply that I don't need to. Everything goes down like crazy. I'm only in Act III normal now but I'm tempted to capture a gameplay video already. This character seriously wrecks pretty much anything already.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2018, 05:35:36 »
Everything goes down like crazy. I'm only in Act III normal now but I'm tempted to capture a gameplay video already.
of course you have to  :D
nowadays i'm playing like 30min a session.. not even everyday.. i need inspiration :)
but c'mon man imagine if volley procs off thunder strike, how many projectiles would that shoot? 10x3=30? i'm deads
« Last Edit: 23 March 2018, 05:38:50 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 30 March 2018, 21:24:08 »
I've made a few videos, but uploading them is a bit problematic right now (also I'll have to choose which one to put up).

Other than that I haven't progressed much. Finished Act III, and then switched characters for the time being. It was getting a bit rougher around there, too; Hoi Polloi is probably starting to seriously lag behind in damage output, even with the whopping level 8 Volley it provides. So I tried to farm Typhon a bit for some better throwing weapons, but no luck so far. (The Berserker, on the other hand, found Death's Wings in the Temple of Marduk - will have to see if that helps.)

Sadly, I'm pretty sure Volley doesn't proc off Thunder Strike - I would've noticed, I think, and other than that, I always assumed that passive attack triggers usually only work with regular attacks (and Reckless Offense, which is a series of regular attacks - I think). But I'm not sure. It'd be fun.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 30 March 2018, 23:26:07 »
I'm inclined to think that volley doesn't proc off thunder strike also but not for the same reason.. it's kind of like runeword:burn doesn't proc off thunder strike (for dual throwing at least).. I'm pretty sure otherwise i would've noticed it

some passive skills do proc off other skills, not just regular attacks.. gouge procs off shield attacks.. reckless offense procs off lethal strike (only for dual throwing).. and the granted skills from items proc off thunder strike, warwind, lethal strike, etc
« Last Edit: 30 March 2018, 23:37:13 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal