Author Topic: Attempting to add Dual Wield to an ability  (Read 3254 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline endersblade

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Attempting to add Dual Wield to an ability
« on: 26 December 2021, 06:23:45 »
Hey folks, not sure how dead this forum is, but I had a modding question.

I am attempting to add the dual wield ability to the Hunter mastery, so they can dual wield throwing weapons. However, I can't figure out how to add it to a skill without it preventing the skill from working with, i.e, bows. I tried adding it to marksmanship, the ability is unusable if the character is holding a bow. I tried adding it to volley, volley never triggers when the character is holding a bow. I tried adding it to Art of the Hunt, but while holding a bow, you can't activate the skill.

The way I've been trying is by setting Dualwieldonly to 1 in the .dbr file of the skill. I'm not skilled enough to create an entirely new skill. I tried checking out both Dual Wield and Reckless Offense (in Warfare and Runemaster, respectively) to see what could trigger it other than dualwieldonly, but I don't see anything.

Sure, I could just go Hunter/Warfare, but I feel stupid taking an entire mastery just for one ability. I typically roll a Ranger, which is Hunter/Nature.

Not Yet Rated!

Online efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Attempting to add Dual Wield to an ability
« Reply #1 on: 26 December 2021, 13:36:32 »
Welcome to the forum. Forum is all but not dead.  8)
Some of our members are part of testing team or work with the game devs, so you will find your answers.
Also if you spare some time to check around you will notice that there is work around some mods and tools actively.
« Last Edit: 26 December 2021, 13:38:28 by efko »
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2021, 08:19:28 »
Well, I doubt it would trigger when you're holding a bow since a bow isn't a throwing weapon.  Have you tried it using a throwing weapon instead?

And many people do play a Slayer using dual throwing weapons since Marksmanship will work with those, though the rest of the skill line won't iirc since they affect arrows. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2021, 10:57:02 »
eh just for clarification

And many people do play a Slayer using dual throwing weapons since Marksmanship will work with those, though the rest of the skill line won't iirc since they affect arrows.

I'm sure you've read that from some comments, which they based on what they read at titanquest.fandom. but they do work with throwing weapons. puncture shot and scatter shot. it's easy to test

and i checked just now, they seemed to have corrected it, if you look at qualifying weapons... finally

https://titanquest.fandom.com/wiki/Scatter_Shot_Arrows

it used to say there puncture shot and scatter shot don't work with thrown. they always worked with thrown. it was a mistake that took too long to get corrected.
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline endersblade

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2021, 02:08:02 »
I ended up just tagging DualWieldOnly to Ensnare, since I don't use that ability at all.  So basically I put one point into it and I can either play with a bow, or dual throwing weapons and everything else in the tree works.

The ShadowChampions mod gives the dual wield ability to everything by default, without disabling abilities and such.  I wish I could figure out how that works.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2021, 16:22:59 »
It is the DW only setting which enables it, so you need a skill like that.
What you can do is give such a passive skill (which ptherwise does nothing) to all chars by just entering it in any player-linked skill tree .dbr at level 1.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 29 December 2021, 01:08:05 »
What you can do is give such a passive skill (which ptherwise does nothing) to all chars by just entering it in any player-linked skill tree .dbr at level 1.

I think thats the best option, you can copy the passive that allows dw on warfare and put on xpak/creatures/pc-male and female skill page
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline endersblade

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 30 December 2021, 02:27:52 »

I think thats the best option, you can copy the passive that allows dw on warfare and put on xpak/creatures/pc-male and female skill page

I don't understand what you're saying.  Copy the dualwieldonly=1 line and paste it into femalepc01/malepc01?

Edit:  I found Defaultskills.dbr, added:
skillName3,Records\Skills\Warfare\dualweapontraining.dbr,

Started a new char, and the first 1-handed weapon I picked up went into the offhand :-)  Seems like it's working!
« Last Edit: 31 December 2021, 02:53:32 by endersblade »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2022, 20:45:11 »
Yep. Except this gives you the actual skill, with bonus damage and a chance for the special animation.
Just for enabling dual wield you probably want to link a copy that does nothing instead.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline endersblade

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2022, 02:47:52 »
Yep, I copied the file and stuck it in the \skills folder.  I stripped out all the other bonuses.  I set skillchance to 100.  Works just like I wanted.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal