Author Topic: Turn npc into enemy (monster)  (Read 2230 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline noobie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Turn npc into enemy (monster)
« on: 12 September 2021, 13:12:21 »
I noticed that I cannot change the npc class in the art manager. I wanted to turn an npc into an enemy and thought that the easiest way to do this would be to change the class from npc to monster or monstercontroller, to make the character aggressive toward the player. but that field is not editable. the only option you get is to view the determining template but these are binary and not easily changed without hex editing...

Is there anything obvious I'm missing here?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline noobie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Turn npc into enemy (monster)
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2021, 13:21:31 »
I cannot attach images to this post, but in the TQ wiki (https://titanquest.fandom.com/wiki/Getting_Started_3:_Customizing_Objects#Changing_the_Record) a monster record is shown with a monster parameters section in which the controller is specified in a editable field. I don't know if this has been changed in TQ AE, but I have no such field...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2021, 22:05:11 »
How about  copy a monster file and replace his mesh and animation with the npc you want ? its should be more easy

Edit : to change a npc into a monster , you can also change the template of npc to monster.npl
« Last Edit: 12 September 2021, 22:24:04 by sauruz »
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline noobie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2021, 22:57:58 »
Thank you sauruz!

Yes, I guessed there would be several ways of accomplishing this. I was just pondering on which method would be the easiest.

What I want to do is have a human soldier with armor as enemy in the game. I came up with a few ways but in the end I thought the easiest way would be to duplicate a human enemy from the Ragnarok DLC (I've read about them in the TQ wiki https://titanquest.fandom.com/wiki/Enemy_Humans but have not found their record yet) and give him armor. The "monster" would then already have human animations, voice and size.

Of course, to get female human enemies, I would still have to change an existing npc (female secretos follower guard) to be a monster... That's why I was going the way of changing an npc to monster class. I did not understand your last sentence, though. I cannot find a monster.npl file. How would you change a template of a npc to a monster? By merely renaming it? Or is there a tool to edit templates?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2021, 23:39:31 »
Im assuming you are working in Artmanger yes ?

When you select a monster file , right click - view in the top of the dbr theres a parameter named "File".

Select "File" option and the one of last subfields is named "Set Template..."

After you select it it will open the various option and various templates used in game, from skills to whatever you can imagine.

Normally Monsters have their own template "Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\Working\database\Templates\Monster.tpl"

If you dont have the templates, i think in Artmanger "Help" option theres is a subfield named "instal templates" for your mod.
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline noobie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 13 September 2021, 00:22:32 »
Great stuff sauruz! I had not seen that option to assign a template. Could it be that simple? Do you know what exactly is determined in a template? It's a binary file and not easily read. If I assign a monster template to an NPC, what exactly will change (apart from turning the npc into an enemy)?

Yes, I have the full game (incl. DLCs) database records extracted and the templates also ("installed" through the help menu of AM). I have even edited the records and hex-edited the templates to remove the "CustomMaps\Art_TQX3\" references in the XPack3 Atlantis DLC files that the devs left in.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 13 September 2021, 00:47:03 »
Great stuff sauruz! I had not seen that option to assign a template. Could it be that simple? Do you know what exactly is determined in a template? It's a binary file and not easily read. If I assign a monster template to an NPC, what exactly will change (apart from turning the npc into an enemy)?

Yes, I have the full game (incl. DLCs) database records extracted and the templates also ("installed" through the help menu of AM). I have even edited the records and hex-edited the templates to remove the "CustomMaps\Art_TQX3\" references in the XPack3 Atlantis DLC files that the devs left in.

My best advice is open a npc and monster dbr and compare side by side it will help you alot to see the differences. The monster template have more option for you customize in terms of attributes, armors , attacks and it will always hostile for the player. The npc well it just static and it will not attack you.

For the templates, i dont know , i just take look for the ones more alike that i want to create, for exemple a monster, and just copy the file and edit back, its more easy and give less headache eheh.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline noobie

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 13 September 2021, 02:13:02 »
Ah, now I understand: the template is what determines the options of a database record. So what can be seen in the dbr is what is in the template.

Thank you so much for your willingness to help!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal