Author Topic: Grant skill Dual Wield to Rogue  (Read 3736 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shade1982

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Grant skill Dual Wield to Rogue
« on: 03 January 2022, 12:13:45 »
Hey all,

I'm creating a new item set based on the ninja gear, but I'm having some issues with getting it to be able to dual wield the katana and sai.

I've created an artifact that should (in theory) grant the warfare skill Dual Wield. I've tried setting 'records\skills\warfare\dualweapontraining.dbr' both under 'itemSkillName' and 'augmentSkillName1', but it's not letting the character wield both at all. Both are swords, which should work according to the original dual wield dbr.

What am I missing here? I've looked everywhere, but can't find the problem...

Regards,

Shade

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shade1982

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Grant skill Dual Wield to Rogue
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2022, 22:19:54 »
That's a little... disappointing. A week and over a 100 views and nobody knows the answer...

Not Yet Rated!

Online nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2022, 19:34:38 »
Hey, to answer your question - Dual wield is not possible to add through an item skill. I think it was possible pre-AE, but not anymore. That's the reason Eihenjar's Fate granted skill (Reckless Offence) is not activating.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shade1982

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2022, 20:21:28 »
Ooooh, that is really a bummer. Thank you for that answer anyway, now I know I have to change my rogue set completely.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline lixiss

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #4 on: 15 January 2022, 21:04:13 »
I've created an artifact that should (in theory) grant the warfare skill Dual Wield. I've tried setting 'records\skills\warfare\dualweapontraining.dbr' both under 'itemSkillName' and 'augmentSkillName1', but it's not letting the character wield both at all. Both are swords, which should work according to the original dual wield dbr.

augmentSkillNameX is for augmenting existing skills. itemSkillName matches with `itemSkillLevel` property. Assigning itemSkillName to something and did not give skill level (via itemSkillLevel) - is like not assigning skill level at all. There is nothing with AE or IT era.

PS: However there is might be differenced, issue, as it described highly incomplete. This looks like it can't work just at start because you did not assign required properties.

PPS: I'm almost quit of there (due to other things to need to care in real life). I'm might suggest: whenever you want to do some thing - look how similar thing already done in game. That's actually easily. Unpack whole database and use raw search. Use map editor when it you really need. Etc. There is lot of way to gather information. Info really scattered over many sources, including not available sourced today (shutdown sites, dead urls). Mine sources - completely self-learned, for example and i'm have enough dev background to understand many unlogical things bit more easily. But there is another story (because they unlogical - this actually did not make me better). I'm still before reply done quick-recheck over files, rather than game-test. Game test requires lot more time, so i'm let do it for topic starter.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2022, 21:14:04 by lixiss »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shade1982

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2022, 22:47:26 »
I actually have an itemSkillLevel assigned as well and it's still not working. Like @nargil66 said, it looks like it's simply not possible.

The only other way I can think of is to try to duplicate the skill itself and add it to the Rogue skill tree...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline endersblade

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2022, 02:45:18 »
I actually have an itemSkillLevel assigned as well and it's still not working. Like @nargil66 said, it looks like it's simply not possible.

The only other way I can think of is to try to duplicate the skill itself and add it to the Rogue skill tree...

Here's what I did for my mod.  All I wanted was the ability to enable dual wield, and set it to 100% chance, for every character, so make edits where needed.

Copied the dualweapontraining.dbr file from Warfare, pasted it in the \Skills base folder.
Edited Defaultskills.dbr to point to this new file, so all classes get it by default.
Edited my dualweapontraining.dbr to remove the +Phys damage, and set skillchance to 100.

Ingame, all of my characters can now dual wield right from level one.  I believe you can just point Stealthtree.dbr to the dualweapontraining.dbr file and it would work just for the Rogue, but I'm not sure. Granted, if you're wanting to leave the skill vanilla, yes, you'd have to put it in the skill tree so you can level it.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2022, 12:08:08 »
just curious. is it possible to add a dual shield skill to defense? I'm having final fantasy 3 Viking flashbacks here
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Shade1982

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 20 January 2022, 13:35:43 »
just curious. is it possible to add a dual shield skill to defense? I'm having final fantasy 3 Viking flashbacks here
In the dbr it is listed what categories qualify for the skill. Shields are not in there (if I remember correctly). I suppose you could customize is and add shields, but I have no idea if that would work...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline lixiss

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #9 on: 20 January 2022, 20:28:58 »
Are you meaning to wear two shields? I'm almost sure what you will not be able equip them properly. Look at GD - it is possible only to look like you have two shields, but it ends in reality only in visual (so instead of knife in right hand, you got mesh of shield). From mechanic perspective having 2 shields what it means? Do they roll chance to block separately or cumulatively? I guess you can, but... really? This having zero immersion. No one can wield two shields (and making them use), and gods prefer two-handed weapons. Gods not need shileds. ;) :P

PS: As for skills - yes, sorry. I'm was focused on description and ignore some facts. Items can't grant skills or can't grant skill upgrades. Meaning, what if you have skill 1, but not leveled up to get upgrade (batter - and rend armor) - there is impossible to grant upgrade. This generally are also logical, but confusing and limiting. But what's why augmenting exist. But this still not work like we want: i'm want get skill (let's it be batter) and get it's upgrade from other item. There is what exactly impossible and when case tuned down or simplified - there is clear what item granting skills are only controllable by controller (defined by item). Some of them very cool btw, but just in not in this way.

There is exist some workaround (good know) - you add skill to mastery with level >0 (e.g. 1). Skill itself at level 1 don't do anything. But once you level up it (e.g. level 2) - it can add up benefits. And still tricky because we have +to all items, so to no affect this items/skill, you should decide scale of pluses. Efficiently making first ever possible bonus on number higher than +to all possible. E.g. lets say is +20. Then you give actual things on level 20 and your's actual unique item augment to +20. And this still might not properly, but it should. But this is tricky as hell. Listed solutions technically more fair and better - let everyone do it (DW any weapon). However, i'm hate this way, because i'm use shield always and i like switch weapons on right click from inventory. When character DW-enabled it no more work in consistent way, and makes me feel hard. So there is just usability issue (for me), but makes game unplayable. And finally - from mechanic perspective, there is no any reason to use DW, nor weaps, nor 2 shields, when modding. All DW builds follows stupid imbalance, but in TQ you rarely win something valuable just for that. And if you evaluated when is better than 1H+shield - there is pure balancing issue. TQ-like games, like all tick-based games must not have style advantages without downsides. But, to be fair TQ bad in styles - they means zero nothing / zero difference. Not math zero, but not noticeable. Meh. However, I'm done quite interesting experiments, when having shield really make you (and sucky skelly capitans) slower, and hits are largely delayed,and shields block more often with combat equation changes (generaly block in GD feels right - <1 sec to recovery is good). For self my shields absorb dmg whenever they block, ignoring sucky rule below or above damage threshold? You block but you shield is stat holder? No stats? May be drop off shield at all? No greedy bonus for play with empty slot. No...

Well, no-one should follow my way. I'm just point issues and limitations. Once they get included - results (gameplay feelings) are overcome any sucky limitations from which we starts. Solve real issues, which enchance gameplay, rather to attempt unrealistic things (engine is constant, but it is pretty nice even in 2022).

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal