Author Topic: General questions after a Ranger build plus Durin Upgrade  (Read 4823 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hack73

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Hi everyone.

Just about to finish Ragnarok with my character who's a Ranger.  I do have a lot of deaths but most of these were unneccesary and I did breeze through the 1st 3 acts without dying.  Even now I rarely do and if I do it's just bad luck or carelessness.
Spent most of the game using a Finger of Charon as my main while also using a spear.  Picked up a Raven's beak (dagger) along the way and noticed that this was actually more useful in Ragnarok as it seems to be slicing through Giants and most mobs as well.
As I was getting the last ingredient for the Legendary Craftsmanship quest I picked up a Dagger of Basbona.  it's average damage is a bit lower than Charon but it's DPS is a lot higher.

I now don't know which item to upgrade now.  Still on normal so I will eventually start a 2nd (and 3rd playthrough) but this has now thrown a spanner in the works.

Also, what is considered better... Items with higher stats, or items with lower stats that give you a + to your skills?  Right now, I am using items that give +1 to both Hunting and Nature, but I have other items that will give to these but have overall worse stats than what I'm using.  This build is going well though so if I continue with it, I'd be happy.

Also finally, do I move straight into epic or should I try to farm for more artifacts, charms or even items first?  My best artifact is only a lesser one.  Since I've taken so long on Normal, I'm thinking Epic will be more of a farming run (doing all sidequests but quickly skipping through dialog) in preparation for Legendary which I will then play properly again (as I don't plan to play it for a while after epic).

Thanks for any advice and sorry for so many questions!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: General questions after a Ranger build plus Durin Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 24 March 2021, 19:38:20 »
Just upgrade the one you are currently using, is not a big upgrade (in each difficulty the special properties scale), with weapons you can get some extra damage easily. I recommend to not think too much about it.

+ Skills is stupid strong, more so in this game, where skills are more powerful and defining than gear. Unless is really a BIG difference in stats, + skills is the way to go. You will eventually get the feeling about when to move on.

Nah, forget about artifacts, whenever you need relics/charms to complete artifacts, you can go back to normal (a stronger char will do runs faster after all) and do some boss/monster runs.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hack73

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2021, 20:50:13 »
Thanks for the reply.

I think I might upgrade the Finger of Charon as it has served me well.

There is some difference in the equipment.  My torso armor gives +800 (health) and +200 (energy) but I'll change to the armor with +1 to hunting as I am using skills all the time anyway.
The arm armor though is a harder decision.  Clasp of the Mothers gives a whole lot of resistances, has nearly double the armor and grants health (which has saved me a few times).  Harmony has +1 to nature but its other stats aren't that useful.
I do eventually want +3 to nature though as I want 3 wolves instead of 2.

Might change to the 2 that give +1 to each skill as I have plenty of time to get better gear... and hopefully will in epic and legendary... drops in normal are pretty bad.  Also, after I start epic, I can drop back down to normal for quick farming and then go back up?

One final problem I have (and I have with every game involving loot)... I am a hoarder!  I stopped collecting whites near the beginning but am still collecting yellows and selling them... a whole lot of gameplay is me selling!
I also for some reason keep blues and some greens... I'll never use them and I have plenty of gold but I can't help it.  Caravan space is always low and the caravan guy in Atlantis called me a hoarder, which was rather funny. Might continue to do this and then go crazy on the transmuter while in legendary.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2021, 21:44:14 »
Welcome to the forum.   :)

Bear in mind that the upgrade may actually make your weapon worse; there's no guarantee you'll get stats to make it better.   Also bear in mind that when you move to Epic your resistances will take a 40-50% hit so make sure they're as high as you can get them atm. 

For hoarding bigtime you need TQVault

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=246.0

It's out of game infinite storage.  All us packrats use it. 

You need +2 to wolves for a third one, not 3.

Yes, you can drop back into Normal if you want to.  You'll get a new tier of relics/charms though on Epic and again once you reach Legendary. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hack73

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2021, 23:15:05 »
Thanks for the welcome!

Finished of Normal, started on Epic and kind of feel my character is a bit OP at the moment.  I'm level 51, which is a bit high thanks to Atlantis, Ragnarok and some equipment that give extra XP.

I think I'll finished Epic as quick as I can, while still doing all sidequests.  I was planning on farming some bosses here but might not.  I did take extra time on normal (due to my hoarding) so will try not to do that again.  Might pick up green and up... but I can't help it.  I'm the guy who has $50m and has not picked up a weapon worth a couple of hundred yet will fight my way through hordes to get it!  What's a good level to start legendary on?  I want to be close to that when I start or a tiny bit over.

I noticed about the charms and relics as I picked some up already.  Don't know what to do with the one I already have.  I played this years ago, finished on normal (until IT) and then lost my character.  I've seen TQVault before.  I might stick the relics/charms in there for a new character but I don't think I'll start a new character in a long, long time due to a backlog that I really need to get through.  Also, if I start a new character, I like to start fresh with nothing at all.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2021, 12:51:01 »
One final problem I have (and I have with every game involving loot)... I am a hoarder!  I stopped collecting whites near the beginning but am still collecting yellows and selling them... a whole lot of gameplay is me selling!
I also for some reason keep blues and some greens... I'll never use them and I have plenty of gold but I can't help it.  Caravan space is always low and the caravan guy in Atlantis called me a hoarder, which was rather funny. Might continue to do this and then go crazy on the transmuter while in legendary.
Aren't we all hoarders?  8)
In Diablo 2 I had six accounts with 48 characters - 12 of them were little more than 'mules' to store all of my set items and uniques.

TQVault nicely solves the issue without any need for mules.

I do find I spend a lot of time organizing and (re)distributing my gear, but since it's something I enjoy doing... E.g. yesterday I played the game for about 4 hours and then spent an hour with TQVault to swap gear :P
Imho, it's time well spent, since good preparation allows me to breeze through the game with little difficulties (well, I'm still on Normal...).
« Last Edit: 31 March 2021, 11:49:34 by jhaelen »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hack73

• Visitor
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2021, 00:36:34 »
Started playing and noticed that there were Ragnarok emenies in Greece.  I thought that the game isn't that silly that all enemies are present on all maps in epic and above and I was right.  Didn't realise it starts of on normal until you change it.  The fact that I can just drop to normal that way to farm is kind of awesome.

Found myself a new ring and replaced some equiptment.  Decided to stop using the item that gives extra XP as I'm already OP.  Problem is the new item I'm using does extra damage to beasts... a lot of my build does that.  Good thing is, I actually like being OP and just running into an enemy camp and just destroying them.  Am using the arm armour that gives health instead of the armour that gives +1 to nature.  Being low on health and then suddenly full is useful.

I then found a new bow and decided to walk into a tomb.  My health was low but I didn't care. The bow did a bit less damage though I hate losing the extra benefits of a shield but decided to use it.  Lucky I'm not doing a no-death run as I met up with Leimon the Vengeful who killed me as I wasn't concentrating.

Went back but decided to try with my melee weapon as my ranged weapons take too long against the undead.  Thousand Cuts on a weapon is rather nice as I cleared the tomb easily.

I know the game will eventually get harder but I kind of hope I do epic as quick as possible, then plan to stop playing for a while because when I do legendary, I will probably take my time.

With TQVault, I think I will use it.  I have never completed a full set yet and I know my caravan space will be full soon with set pieces.  Even if I know some of these are basically useless at higher levels, I hate getting rid of "special" items no matter what game it is.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 30 March 2021, 21:33:40 »
Yeah, Epic at the beginning I always have the feeling that the monsters have a bit too much health and little damage.

On Act 3 Epic is when the difficulty ramps up, and on Legendary monsters do quite a bit of damage and have lots of health.

If you're using hunting + nature, that's a great combination for beginners: Hunting is just OP, the most damage hands down with great support passives, nature adds that heart of the oak with the ele resists augment, that alone is amazing for support. Refresh help keep up wolves and call of the hunt up, so yeah, one of best classes to start with.

Take your time, as a reference if you clear everything you reach to Epic in about level 45, and Legendary in level 63.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal