Author Topic: Possible to move characters from custom maps to main quest?  (Read 13036 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
I played through normal mode using a mod that I don't want to use anymore for Epic and Legendary. Is there any way to make my character available in the main quest rather than custom quest?

I understand Defiler can do this, but the current version of GD Defiler can't load any characters that have completed normal mode. I get an exception/error that "Rebirth data version is not 1, this character may be incompatible with this program"

Does anyone know a) how to get around this error and import the character in Defiler or b) any other way to import the character?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Possible to move characters from custom maps to main quest?
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2018, 07:08:24 »
This depends on what mod you were using.  If it's something like Xmax where you get a bounce message when starting that mod then you can move between that and normal game without any problems.  If it's something like Soulvizier or Legion of Champions mods then no, you can't.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 04 July 2018, 07:10:56 »
Using Caravan XL - so not a bounce mod.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2018, 15:38:41 »
That shouldn't affect them I don't think.  It's just larger storage isn't it? 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 04 July 2018, 17:25:11 »
You're right that it doesn't change gameplay fundamentals. But it isn't a bounce mod, so it functions as a custom quest. That means unless there's a way to import characters back to the main quest, I'm locked into continuing with the mod (or another mod), or starting a new character.

I can use TQ Vault to transfer my items - that's not the problem. I'd just like to continue with the character in the game.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 04 July 2018, 17:31:30 »
Well, back up your character on to a flash drive or something and then try to play it without the mod.  If it's fine, no harm done.  If it's not then you can delete the character and reinstall it using the backup you made.  Save files should be in My Documents\My Games\Titan Quest Immortal Throne\SaveData and then either the Main or User folder.  Should be User, but as I don't use that mod I'm not sure which it would be in.  If it's in the Main then it's probably okay to play the character without the mod anyway.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 04 July 2018, 18:38:46 »
Copying over the character folders from the "User" folder was the first thing I tried. Copied characters don't show up in the game. Somehow they are flagged as user/custom characters, and can't be selected in the main quest. But maybe I'm missing a step? When you suggest backing up and restoring a character, do you mean anything more than just copying the folder?

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 04 July 2018, 18:50:58 »
Yes, if they're in the User folder then they can't be played in the normal game, sorry.  If you could manage it, it would probably screw the character up.  You're just going to have to continue using the mod for that character if you want to continue playing it.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 04 July 2018, 19:01:23 »
i think it wouldnt had any problem, mods that doesnt change the database its fine,

like xmax for exemple.

but you might lost some itens on inventory since caravan mod up the filled space on bags
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2018, 19:59:37 »
I don't care about items - just the character (experience, skills, etc). If MedeaFleeceStealer is correct, custom characters can't be used in the main quest. I was sure this was possible when I played the game years ago, though. I think it was done with the Defiler but a) I can't see how and b) as I mentioned, a bug in the Defiler prevents it from loading characters that have completed Normal mode.

An alternative solution would be to create a new character, then use the Defiler to level up the character, then pick up playing in epic. I'd lose my stats from the old character (kills, deaths, etc.) but that's not a big deal.

However, this isn't working either. I can create a new character and load them in the Defiler, but the experience field and the "Level Me Up" button are greyed out for me in the Defiler. I'm using the latest version (0.2.2.0) of GD Defiler. Anyone else have this issue or know how to correct it?
« Last Edit: 04 July 2018, 20:02:04 by pkzipfish »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 04 July 2018, 20:13:46 »
If you have Ragnarok then I don't think the Defiler works.  Soul hasn't updated it for a while.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2018, 00:21:02 »
I've found a partial solution.

Older versions of TQ/GD Defiler can copy characters from custom to main quest. Version 1.3.9, available on Kirmizi Perfect, has the feature.

Unfortunately, (just like the current version) that version of Defiler can't load characters that have completed normal mode either, at least in the current version of TQ:AE + Ragnarok. A recent patch to the game must have changed something. Defiler has been updated since Ragnarok, but at some point after that this error started occurring. It's been reported on the Defiler thread at the GD forums, but there's no response or workaround yet. Hopefully it will be fixed soon. I also hope the "copy to main quest" feature is added back.

However, the old version of Defiler does allow editing and leveling-up of characters it can open (i.e. those still in normal mode). This gives me a workaround for what I want to achieve. I just create a new character in the main quest, then use Defiler to give it the experience, skills, waypoint activations,* and attribute points of the custom character I'm trying to copy. Then I can use TQ Vault to move my items, and I essentially have the same character. I can even manually enter total kills, total deaths, and other stats if I care about that.

Note that if you want to add Ragnarok waypoints you have to also load the character in GD Defiler. Only it has the Ragnarok waypoints included. It is possible to add them; I don't know why this works but more basic character editing (i.e. increasing experience) does not.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2018, 05:40:53 by pkzipfish »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 05 July 2018, 08:23:28 »
I guess another possibility would be to start a new character as an accomplished hero so you're just having to run the expansion again.  You'd probably have to gear it up via your Vault collection though.  But that would give you the XP/stats up to that point to allocate as you wanted.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline pkzipfish

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 05 July 2018, 15:55:51 »
Yes - in fact I think it's important to use an accomplished hero as the base because this grants you the quest rewards from Acts I-IV. Some of these are just skill or attribute points that you can add with the defiler, but there's also some global bonuses like % damage and pet traits. I think you can add these with the defiler too, but you have to know the name of the "skill" in the database.

It also appears that you can't adjust total kills/deaths/etc. in any version of Defiler. I don't care about this, but if you do then it's another drawback to this method vs. copying the actual character.

In any case, I've got it working to my satisfaction and am running my Runesmith through epic.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline oldage

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 06 July 2018, 19:52:15 »
Thanks for all the good information. I want to play with X monster from old custom maps I had set up years ago. Got the bounce mod notification,  seems to play ok but noticed couldn't combine health over 5. Had a half dozen 5 around.Fortunately when I went back normal, the all combined. One mod I saw that may help me is the "bulb". My old eyes don't see as well as they use to.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal