Titan Quest - Anniversary Edition > Anniversary Edition - General discussion

How do you build an elementalist?

(1/4) > >>

botebote77:
Yeah just as title says.. and if possible, stats, skills, and playstyle included.. mages are my thing but i been theorycrafting for an elementalist ever since TQAE so that's about 2 years now.. and i still can't think of a good build for an elementalist. Just theorycrafting because me not playing now. I'm just curious.

In this game i don't believe one class is better than others.. some are just easier to build but i believe each class has its own advantages over others

This class i just think it's all offense and no defense.. that's not for me.. And what's worse is it excels in 3 elements but you don't really need 3 elements.. 4 damage types if you include physical but you don't really need 4 damage types.. Well, some of theorycraft builds i came up with

1) int build - squall + VO, eruption.. maybe lightning bolt later.. but meh this is all offense and no defense

2) int build - squall + flame surge.. ice shard is better than flame surge.. but for an elementalist, i think flame surge is better

3) int build - 3 elements.. lightning bolt + ice shard + eruption.. but this is also all offense and no defense

4) hybrid stat style caster - elemental + physical.. then loading up on %total damage.. maybe freezing blast.. squall + freezing blast + VO/eruption sounds good.. this would be hard to build and gear but i think I'm favoring this one.. but i still think it's an inferior version of physical + fire summoner.. and that bugs me

5) int build - thunderball + VO + eruption.. would this give enough survivavility though?

edit: forgot to include this but i also thought of this at one point
6) hybrid stat style caster - reflect build.. stone form + energy shield - reflection.. str to wear the shield that gives good reflect damage, what's that again? throw in eruption for good measure.. yeah i favor this over (4).. sigh an elementalist reflect build.. would the core get too much attention though?

7) hybrid melee elementalist - oh right the old melee elementalist.. I'm skeptical of this though.. i mean this can't be better than a conqueror.. maybe throwing weapon + shield? chakram of the sun?

This was easy in TQIT.. just gear up for CDR and you're good.. But i think this got more difficult to build in TQAE.. some DA is a must i think.. Core dweller also is a must.. What do you guys think?

I been googling and youtubeing but i haven't seen a build that shows the strength of elementalist over others.

very late update: i ended up turning my stormcaller in the xmax HC challenge into an elementalist

another late update: some answers
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=786.msg9781#msg9781

Tauceti:
Depends on your own criteria of gameplay style.

Although i understand people like glass-canon builds for a dynamical playstyle, i cannot go with these builds. Too many deaths, and i got the feeling that there is something wrong in my build. I don't think i have ever played an elementalist before. Surely because of a high risk of death  ;D

If I have to, i would go with your 5th proposition, because of the thunderball skill for its stun ability. I would add the core dweller for a better protection though. About the dps skill, VO is nice , or LB or iceshards too. But not Flamesurge, it's funny on normal but its close range, although spammable,  is not the way to go for survivability in legendary.

Regarding an hybrid style caster, you maybe think of the Hephasteus set ? it should be handy. About a reflect build, hmm i don't think it's good with an elementalist. I am currently trying to gather reflection gear with my defender, and what happens is that you need tons of %XX reflected damage, or else you will die of...boredom with trash mobs. On the other hand it could work with bosses since they have high spike damage.

botebote77:
thnx for the answer.. yeah that's why i haven't played an elementalist in AE yet.. i played one in TQIT but it was broken back then.. iirc i had over 90% CDR.. i could finish the whole game with just LB alone.. i play glass cannons but i make sure i have enough survivability.. and yes core dweller is a must

regarding hybrid stat style caster, i wasn't thinking about that.. i wasn't thinking of any items either.. this is a quote from my mage prophet thread

--- Quote ---3)  Hybrid stat style caster. Actually, there are some veterans that play casters investing on all 3 stats, even though they know they will only deal elemental damage. Self-proclaimed mage boy has learned many things from at least one of those crazy guys. Sadly, they are not around anymore so the things you'll get from me is mostly theoretical and i can't give any assurances:
At 400+ int, you can already wear most high end mage items except staves. If you invest another 400, you get about +61% ele damage. But if you put all those on str instead, you can get your str to about 500 - 600. At 500 - 600 str, you can equip items like Lykaion Malleus and Visor of the Shadowlord, plus high end shields. See the lightning and EBD damage? With the right items, it's possible to get back the damage you lost, and also gain way more survivability. The main goal though of course is to have enough survivability. I've said this before somewhere: "less running equals more attacks, more running equals less attacks". You might need 1 socrate's ring and 1 hale ring (maybe). But it'll probably be worth it. Or maybe the 10% str from jade emperor artifact will suffice. Don't know but eh experienced hybrid players will know what to do once they play it. If you want to try this for the first time, do at your own risk.
if i am to re-run this right now, 90% chance i would've taken this route.

--- End quote ---

now i remember this one conversation i had with an old TQ vet.. when i still didn't know this style and he mentioned it.. i couldn't even disagree because he was saying it like it was perfectly normal.. like "what, did i say something weird?".. and he knows the game like the back of his hand.. me learned now.. the way to dish more damage is to be able to stand up against mobs.. and it works well for me.

if my curiosity kills me, i just might make 1 and play again

icefreeze:
In Ragnarok DLC, there is M.I armor set that grant 15% chance of 200%/350%/500% dmg/piece reflected( But there is a bug that make this set can't drop in Legendary, so now we just can get this set at Epic quality, but its still good for Reflect dmg)
https://tq-db.net/search/icescale

mammoth_hunter:
Elementalist, bah

It would seem to be the ultimate int caster mastery but looking closer it has very little synergy. All things in two masteries are either phys/fire or cold/lightning related. Wisps eye of the storm boosts all elemental, squall reduces all res, core dweller. There is also very little defense besides core dweller and squall phys damage reduction. Both masteries are good at damage which unfortunately do not synergize, but bad at support, and so is elementalist.

So to the question of how to build it I'm not sure there is a single way that is much better than the others. Nothing to abuse here, its just something like ice shards with core dweller, or lightning with eruption with core dweller, or whatever other combination of skills suits you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version