Author Topic: Earth: An Attempt at a Comprehensive Guide [Ragnarök]  (Read 972 times)

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Earth: An Attempt at a Comprehensive Guide [Ragnarök]
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2018, 22:52:58 »
One little thing that only occurred to me recently:

The description of Soften Metal states damage. Not Fire damage, just damage, which implies to me that it deals physical damage. This means that even Ring of Fire benefits from strength, and that fighter characters also have a decent shot at damaging their foes with Soften Metal.

At least if I'm interpreting things correctly. But Flame Arch clearly states that the additional damage it provides is fire, so I don't see why Soften Metal wouldn't do the same if it was fire damage.

I think I'm going to go start a new game with a Battlemage sometime soon. It seems there's an amazing number of synergies ripe for trying.

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2018, 14:55:41 »
Summon Core Dweller, Inner Fire, Wildfire, Metamorphosis

Ah, the fabled Core Dweller. I'd put one point into each skill as soon as they're available, but it seems to me that until the very end of the game, it's more or less safe to leave them that way. Putting some more can help with your pet's survivability, but seeing how you should be able to eliminate your attackers pretty quickly, it shouldn't be a top priority on the list.

I'm wondering here what your take is specifically on Wildfire. I heard a lot of player never put any points in it past one, even after they've covered their priorities, because the slightly increased flat fire damage and reduced offensive ability is never worth the investment of another whopping 11 points.

Offline Firebrand

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 20 June 2018, 19:22:05 »
I'll need to admit: I haven't even tried putting more than one point in Wildfire.

My reasoning (and, by extension, mindset) might be very one-dimensional here. Basically, I could invest some skill points to make my Core Dweller kill things faster, or... Alternatively, I could invest it in something that makes me kill things faster. Quite frankly, I'm much better at the whole business. Wildfire has some reduction of offensive ability, which is not too bad, but the reduction isn't that significant, and (unless you play a dedicated petmaster, I guess) your Core Dweller isn't going to have anywhere close to as much bonus to elemental and burn damages as your character does. I suppose it could be interesting to play as a Summoner with a focus on the petmaster items that boost elemental damage, and make better use of Wildfire as well as Plague for reducing their resistance, as well as the Sylvan Nymph's Nature's Wrath; I haven't tried.

One more thing I'd add is - in line with how I'd personally prioritize skills that help you kill things faster - is how there are a lot of those. Like I probably mentioned in the original post, personally I find quite a few skills worth maxing from Earth for most character builds. Earth Enchantment, Volcanic Orb, Conflagration, Fragmentation, Eruption, and Volativity; only these and the mastery points themselves account for a hundred skill points, and that's not counting your secondary mastery, nor anything else you might want to take (Brimstone if you're using weapon attacks or throwing knives, Flame Surge if it's your primary attack, et cetera). Point is, you're probably always going to find something that gives you better value for your skill points than Wildfire.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2018, 19:42:00 by Firebrand »

Tags: