Author Topic: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)  (Read 96087 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)
« Reply #180 on: 17 May 2018, 07:04:09 »
OK I get some idea.

Deepblue I need you to answer the following questions to better understand your problem.

1. You mentioned you died a lot of times in Typhon fight and Act4. Could you give me the numbers of your deaths of your characters? If you can provide the level and the progress of each character (for example, level 40 Druid, stuck in Act 4 3rd waypoint) that would be even better.

2. You have tried several characters, and I assume you noticed that the stash is shared among all of them. Do you keep those good items, relics and other stuff you found, or do you sell them all? I can judge from you level that your habit of playing this game is kill almost every monster on the map, so there should be plenty of items dropped, regardless of whether they are truely good or not.

3. You mentioned you drink health potion a lot. On average, what's the frequency for your character to buy potions and how many potions do you buy? Or if you can't answer that since you don't remember those details, could you tell me how much money your characters currently have? Do you ever face situations where you don't have enough gold to buy potions and/or respec skill points?

4. What is your game speed?

5. I'm not sure why you don't provide any screenshot for your character with stats. That would defenitely help.

6. Define "suit" or "suitable for you". Well obviously you want some class that is easy to play and strong, is there any other criteria?

And here are a few things I can suggest.
1. Everybody dies when facing Dactyl. It takes experience and knowledge to not get killed. So don't feel frustated, if you can't kill him, quit and restart. He won't appear everytime. Yeah I do that, honestly. The most unlucky playthrough I quit and restarted 7 times in a row before Legendary Hades to disengage Dactyle. I know which builds can kill him easily and which ones are very risky or near impossible to do that. So it's acceptable to do that.
2. Your skill point distribution strategy is one of the WORST decision you can make. Rush mastery bar (or whatever you call it) for BOTH masteries is the most common mistake players make, your strategy is a worse version of it. I understand that you need some guide that tells you what to level first then second and stuff, but let's just say in general, you should focus on several skills instead of one in every skill, especially in Normal.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #181 on: 17 May 2018, 08:35:02 »
Hm.....let's see....

1. With Typhon, a lot of it is due to how frequently he attacks. I haven't actually died to him, he's just really relentless.
With melee types, I often can't get away from him fast enough before he takes some of my health and restores most of his so I end up back at the beginning, it goes on forever and at that point I'll probably just be wasting all my potions and getting nowhere. With ranged, I can't get within range to hit him and have a chance to dodge his attacks at the same time, if using pets he always has spiked armour up, or if he kills pets, puts up the spiked armour the second I summon something and it attacks him. It's mostly just because it's either an endless fight or takes so long due to me trying my absolute hardest not to die and almost dying a lot.

With Act IV......I've only gotten that far with my Druid and since I rely on pets for pretty much all my damage due to the build it's really hard to kill stuff when they die a lot. Even trying to keep them alive is hard. It gets worse toward Hades palace because I almost die a lot to Machae and my pets don't last at all. Also Gigantes can often chain stun me even if they're not quite next to me.
If I don't die, I've quit and come back later due to the Dactyl and since the save points are so few the further you go, I'm stuck in a loop of trying to get further but not quite.

2. Sometimes I have, Usually if it's been a ring or two that have tons of bonuses like resistences but I barely get good items to use in this one. I often keep relics and charms I'm trying to keep to make artifacts when I have the recipes for them, especially if they're hard to make on a first run like sabre and peng claws as an example.

3. I think I tend to buy more at the start and usually for melee. Otherwise I tend to pick up all I find so I end up with a stockpile.
I don't really know how frequently I use them, I just tend to panic chug them at times. Berserker was a little different since I would try to see how long I could go with sacred rage active and only use a potion when I'd hear the near death sound.

4. Normal I guess? I never touch it.

5. I don't know, I guess I was never asked. Asked for gear screenshots but I don't really know how to do that.

6. Suitable....let's see......well I'm starting to wonder if a caster or mage type build is right for me because there are a lot of skills to use. Like maybe they're a bit too complicated for me to use, to know when to use them and stuff. Maybe a more defensive build if I die a lot as well (possibly glass cannons are a bad idea for me to do). That sort of thing. Playstyle, mindset and current skill and all that.

Everyone has something that works for them because maybe what's they're like as a person, how they do things and stuff.
Some people might just try something and just know it's the right one for them.

I'm often trying new builds because someone suggests it and it just seems interesting to me and might be fun.
and who knows, might just be about right for me.

I can't just pick a favorite, I like anything. So it has to be what would just work for me.
Lately I'm thinking anything super defensive with a sword and shield, so anything using defense or even a pure Conqueror. I'm thinking this because going the more defensive route would give me more leniency, more of a chance if I make mistakes, which I do a lot, to recover. It might be what's best for me.

Extra;

1. I think I've just been really unlucky and always had Dactyl wherever I go and since he's often at the back of a group of regular Gigantes, it's often too late to escape.
2. Yeah maybe, I guess the mastery climbing is also so I have lots of health, energy, etc and not just earlier access to higher tier skills. I do like builds that go a bit more indepth without expecting me to be a really good player though.

Sorry if I couldn't answer everything fully, I'm often far too focused on trying to get through the harder parts and staying alive,  and easier parts like Act I, I don't really notice as much and kind just breeze through.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 08:56:48 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #182 on: 17 May 2018, 09:25:11 »
OK. I almost understand the situation.
Only one important thing left: please tell me the exact numbers of deaths on each of your character and their level.

And you really should check game speed and set it to normal. If I remember correctly (may be incorrect), in AE the game speed is set to very fast by default.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #183 on: 17 May 2018, 17:51:26 »
Shouldn't be.  Normal speed should be the default.  I don't remember changing it when I installed the AE version.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #184 on: 17 May 2018, 18:18:49 »
Shouldn't be.  Normal speed should be the default.  I don't remember changing it when I installed the AE version.

That is true, game speed is normal by default.

I cant imagine if very fast was set , geez, poor newbies jeez
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: 17 May 2018, 18:22:41 »
Deaths on my Druid are up to......8 I think right now.

Only died once to a hero monster in either act II or III
The rest are in Hades palace (normal), which I can't get past.

I don't know the deaths of all my old chars.
I don't really get too many deaths on normal but I know when I'm starting to have trouble due to almost dying a lot, whereas in earlier stuff I don't die at all.
Basically when I start to struggle a lot against even basic enemies.

The reason I don't have any good items stored is because I've only recently discovered the new version of TQ Vault, previously I was using the storage spaces for artifacts and filled it up after a while.

If the game was on a higher speed I would have noticed a difference from the start.
I've played enough of old TQ to know what speed it should be.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 18:25:59 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: 18 May 2018, 03:32:07 »
Ok so 8 deaths on your current Druid. Got it.
I'm not sure why you don't know the deaths of your old character, there is a death count on your character panel so you don't have to record deaths manually. Or is that because you deleted all your old character? I know some people may have such habit. They prefer start over from nothing again and again.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #187 on: 18 May 2018, 03:40:18 »

That is true, game speed is normal by default.

I cant imagine if very fast was set , geez, poor newbies jeez
Well then I made a mistake. This might because in my regional forum the mainstream opinion encourages players to set game speed to very fast (although I disagree on that).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #188 on: 18 May 2018, 07:53:53 »
8 deaths isn't bad at all.  Many of mine have had higher totals than that.

I guess if people know the game playing on very fast is okay, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for newbies.  They need to be taking things slow and careful while they learn how the game works. They can always speed up later.  ;D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #189 on: 18 May 2018, 09:35:13 »
I'm not sure why you don't know the deaths of your old character, there is a death count on your character panel so you don't have to record deaths manually. Or is that because you deleted all your old character? I know some people may have such habit. They prefer start over from nothing again and again.

I'd never be able to keep track of all my characters if I didn't do that anyway since I'd have made so many.
Plus it means when I do find the right one, I'm just focusing on that one, I won't be feeling like playing any of the others so I can focus entirely on one.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #190 on: 19 May 2018, 13:00:12 »
Ok I think, there's no point in asking what the easiest mastery combo is, because everyone has a different one.
Casters probably aren't a good idea due to relying too much on being good and not being hit at all. I make a lot of mistakes so I'm going to get hit......a lot.
Also I often can't kill stuff before they reach me.

So something tanky. Warrior type, sword and shield, that sort of thing.
Taking lots of hits so I have a chance to fix a mistake, and I have to be up close anyway so I don't have to worry about killing fast before they reach me.

So I'm thinking either strait up Conqueror,
or
Paladin (Storm+Defense) so I have squall that can help me a bit with large groups (and provide a little extra damage since sword and shield types don't do too much of it)

Although I do get battle standard with Conqeror.....

I know how to build a Conqueror's attribute points, but not a Paladin's (With Conqeror, it's basically alternating between both in Str. and Str.+Dex.)
and I'm guessing with gear I just get lots of defense and resistences?
Not entirely sure about mastery progress though since I was told not to just put single points in each skill I need while climbing the mastery as fast as possible.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 13:05:13 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Maniakles

• Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #191 on: 21 May 2018, 22:53:14 »
:) Deepblue, I haven't played many of the Tank builds, but I've had no complaints with Conqueror, Templar, or Warden. I'm playing a "Hoplite" Warden (Spear + Shield) during my 1st time through the AE+Ragnarok. Extreme survivability and high Offensive output.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #192 on: 22 May 2018, 05:05:19 »
OK. Although there are some unanswered questions with unknown reasons, it seems tha'ts exactly what I suspected.
I think your problem is not you are not good enough in this game, or maybe any game as you mentioned. Your problem is, you somewhat instantly lose all confidence when face some difficulty.
As already been mentioned, 8 deaths is not a bad nubmer at all. You repeatedly talking about how bad you played and how difficult you feel in Act4 Normal, but in the end you did NOT die a lot of times. That says, you are actually doing well, or at least doing OK. Especially given the fact that your character level shows you almost fully cleared the map. It seems you expectation is somewhat unreasonably high, because "almost died" is a very common state for average player in most build since AE. You just can't avoid it.
IMO you CAN actually go through Act4 Normal or even legendary with any of your characters, but you forfeited before you tried really hard. Now I know you are about to say you did tried hard, but your death count said the opposite. I have a friend, who died more than 1500 times on his first playthrough to complete legendary as Conquerer, and that's in TQIT. That's approximately 500+ deaths per difficulty, 100+ deaths per act, and 10+ deaths per boss and you can imagine how many deaths to Dactyle. I don't think you died that much. In the end, he became an expert. So just be positive and give some confidence to yourself, don't be afraid of deaths in game.
I made this judgement based on your posts. You blamed yourself while nobody was blaming you, you asked repeatedly for a detailed guide while you do not trust your hundred of hours of experience in TQIT and AE, and it was not even because you are too lazy to think about builds yourself. So how about give yourself some trust now?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #193 on: 22 May 2018, 07:41:39 »
Ok I'll see what I can do...
I'll stick with my druid since I still like using pets.

I'll probably have to go back to the petmaster build I was using instead of trying to go full caster since I started having a worse time trying to do anything than when I just went with pets.
Doesn't help my char was built for a petmaster build (gear I mean, with pet jewellry and stuff) and not a caster.

Or maybe I've got too many pets and I'm not doing enough damage myself. Towards the end of IT here, It's very hard to keep pets alive, especially when there's so many and since it's a petmaster build, I'm doing that a lot and hardly have time to attack, which is mostly about throwing down plague and squall.
Would an Elementalist (Earth+Storm) work better?
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 07:43:48 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #194 on: 13 July 2018, 21:01:22 »
Ok I've taken a break and I'm going to have another shot at this.
Probably won't use my previous char because I was told that you shouldn't climb the mastery tree as fast as possible and I already did that with my current, leaving me with less points to add to skills and make them powerful enough to take on IT endgame.

I want to do a mage char, pets but I don't mind using spells as well.
I'm clearly not as good at this game as the entirety of this forum.

Still haven't made it to the new dlc yet.
Does this game really have to be this complicated and complex to even pass normal?
It's normal, not the hardest difficulty ever, why do you need to be a pro just to pass normal?
I'm starting to think this game is not beginner friendly in the slightest (and I'm not a beginner either but I may as well be)

I'm talking to myself aren't I?
I'm the most hated member (or the only) in this community, for no other reason but because I'm shit and my personality isn't perfect.
It wasn't like this on the old forum.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 13:52:12 by Deepblue »

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal