Author Topic: House of Flying Daggers Build  (Read 55194 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: House of Flying Daggers Build
« Reply #15 on: 25 March 2018, 08:51:02 »
@Gautrec how about ice shards? flame surge? if power strike procs off of those that opens up lots of possible builds.. elementalist, pair earth or storm with nature, spirit, hunting, dream.. maybe any mastery except defense
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: 25 March 2018, 10:38:27 »
@Gautrec how about ice shards?

I think it's heresy for a "House of Flying Daggers" build to not use Throwing Knives, and investing in both TK and Ice Shards seems a bit redundant to me.

But wow, somebody remembers this movie. The movie was pretty famous in name, but at the same time pretty pretentiously shitty. Personally, if I had to do a build inspired by this movie, I can't see it being anything other than a poison briar Illusionist. After getting the core skills, there should be enough skillpoints left with Ragnarok AE, to get Plague, Poison Gas Bomb, Regrowth, or the Nymph, to get a movie-true bitchy hippy female sidekick.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 25 March 2018, 13:09:47 »
Thank you @ Tauceti, it is indeed a lot of fun to play with :)
And for this reason, I might be a little over-enthusiastic about the build, too... it kind of feels like playing a Toxeus-Barmanu-hybrid  :D
     Regarding the possibility of it being overpowered: The actual increase in damage/killspeed still has to be tested in the endgame. Even on epic difficulty, its effectivenes was a little hard to assess, as the actual radius of the ability is, in fact, smaller than it seems to be at first glance (the meteors come down at roughly the same spot, creating a wave of dust several times the diameter of the impact zone that does not appear do deal any additional damage whatsoever). This makes Power Strike less of an AoE ability that instead only helps in defeating tougher mobs (like bosses).
     If it does turn out to be overpowered, though, I would love it if it wasn't nerfed into the same oblivion that most of the other (damage dealing) skills on items in the game seem to be in. I have tried to use and even build around several of said abilities, with the triggered ones being most promising; activated abilities on items, like the Mystic Circle on the Shield of Skuld, are usually not even worth casting, since even basic weapon attacks outclass them damage-wise (I have yet to find and test Mjölnir, though). The damage of most other triggered abilities (e.g. Wave of Flame or Flame Surge) is laughably low, with Ring of Ice being the only one that noticably harms enemies on legendary.
Maybe you can understand my excitement over Power Strike a little better now  ;)
     Anyways, as long as the Nidbow doesn't get nerfed until I can play TQ again in 2 weeks and enjoy this one build with a decent (and very cool looking) item proc, I won't complain  ;D

The corresponding items to abovementioned skills are:
Flame Surge: https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/jormungandr-guards
Wave of Flame: https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/golden-crown-of-war
Ring of Ice: https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/pendant-of-skadi

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2018, 14:58:24 »
@botebote, sorry, I missed your post on the second page... It does indeed proc off of Ice Shards, and an Oracle would probably pair best with Power Strike, too, at least considering the damage types. Gameplay-wise, this might also be the truest storm-conjurer type of build I know; Squall & Lightning Bolt always seemed more like a mild breeze with some sparks mixed in. Especially due to their sound effect, the meteors of Power strike feel very "thundery"  :)
     I am worried about the damage of the ice shards themselves, though, since it is impossible to wear both Persephone's Caress and the Nidbow. Power Strike might have to carry that kind of build pretty hard and, as I mentioned before, I still have to test its effectiveness on legendary.
     Notwithstanding the above, Squall has impressed me as a way to trigger Power Strike, since it continues to deal damage over time whilst you spam whatever active skill you decide to use, thus highly increasing the rate of procs per second. In the light of this, an Elementalist sounds very appealing as well: presuming both Flame Surge and Eruption trigger the ability, you could have both Squall, Eruption and even Ring of Flame active whilst attacking with either Ice Shards or Flame Surge. Eruption deals a lot of damage by itself, too...
     Hunting is interesting pretty much just for Study Prey (and, using a bow, Wood Lore is nice to have, too); Nature, on the other hand, only has plague to potentially trigger Power Strike & reduce resistances, as well as some defensive skills (and who wants good defense when you can play a glass cannon  ;)).
     And yes, Laionidas, these would not be "House of Flying Daggers"-builds anymore - and yet, they would be so flavourful and cool...  ;D

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: 27 March 2018, 03:58:13 »
Finally, during this TQ-session, I noticed one more thing that might make Power Strike an absolutely broken ability: It procs off of other spells.
Yes, you read corretly: It procs off of Squall, it procs off of Lightning Bolt

That's interesting. One of my friend mentioned that the granted lightning skill from Mjolnir also procs with Squall. I thought he was wrong. But now this thread confirmed same situation on another item...honestly I'm confused.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 31 March 2018, 11:14:05 »
@Gautrec how about ice shards?

I think it's heresy for a "House of Flying Daggers" build to not use Throwing Knives, and investing in both TK and Ice Shards seems a bit redundant to me.

But wow, somebody remembers this movie. The movie was pretty famous in name, but at the same time pretty pretentiously shitty. Personally, if I had to do a build inspired by this movie, I can't see it being anything other than a poison briar Illusionist. After getting the core skills, there should be enough skillpoints left with Ragnarok AE, to get Plague, Poison Gas Bomb, Regrowth, or the Nymph, to get a movie-true bitchy hippy female sidekick.
This build obviously wasn't inspired by the movie but i liked the title enough to use it

I actually liked the film on my first watch but you called it "pretentiously shitty" so i had to watch it again.. and you know what? you're right it wasn't that good.. the fight scenes were slow, the plot had too many twists for a 2hr film, the theme was a little corny.. i wouldn't call it shitty though, the nature backgrounds were just too good

There's no point in changing titles much less the build now but i get the briar ward throwing knife build.. this would've made a good pic

the dogs just think of them as the horses
« Last Edit: 31 March 2018, 11:17:46 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #21 on: 31 March 2018, 13:42:07 »
[...] One of my friend mentioned that the granted lightning skill from Mjolnir also procs with Squall. I thought he was wrong. But now this thread confirmed same situation on another item...honestly I'm confused.
However there is a great difference between Mjolnir and Nidbow: a 4s recharge time for Mjolnir so that you can't abuse the game. I can bet a bitcoin, euh ... not a bitcoin  ;D, a cup of coffee that Nidbow will be updated with a non-zero recharge time in the coming months, if not in the coming weeks. Btw I find funny the fact that granted skills proc also from spells, i hope that this feature will remain.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Laionidas

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 31 March 2018, 16:11:24 »
The nature backgrounds were just too good

the dogs just think of them as the horses

True, the backgrounds wére good, but even in that respect it was a little too obvious to me that they were just trying to ride on the success of stylish epics like Crouching Tiger and Hero, without really putting in any twist of their own.

I do feel kinda inspired now to make a build titled "The Dogs are Horses" :)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2018, 00:15:31 »
Silly question, but how do you reduce/remove the cooldown on Throwing Knife? The wiki mentions that the cooldown is 6 seconds.

EDIT: According to the calculator on KP, it looks like the cooldown on Throwing Knife reduces as points are invested in it. At level 12 it’s cooldown is 1.6s, I assume at level 16 it’s cooldown is reduced to nothing. Is that correct?
« Last Edit: 02 May 2018, 00:33:23 by maxwolfie »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2018, 03:34:21 »
yes.. the description on titanquest.wikia is outdated.. it is from TQIT
this is how a no cooldown throwing knife looks like

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=213.msg1708#msg1708

the shampoo one.. the most fun character I've played actually.. whenever i played it online, the kill ratio was always tilted in my favor :)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: 02 May 2018, 11:59:57 »
Thank you.

One more question - I am playing on Xbox and it seems that I cannot hold down the attack button to repeatedly cast Throwing Knife. It seems that I need to press the attack button for each attack/cast.

Do you recall having to do this on PC with your RMB?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 02 May 2018, 14:36:16 »
@maxwolfie: on PC, you can indeed just hold down the RMB to continuously cast Throwing Knives. Is there an equivalent for the shift key on your controller? Maybe that would work (when you hold both it and the LMB down on PC, it allows you to keep attacking even with standard LMB skills like Onslaught or Marksmanship).

On an entirely different note, I finally managed to finish the game with my Nidbow knife thrower :) The gameplay felt pretty smooth, even though I did die more often than might have been necessary - the strong reliance on CC for survivability doesn't leave much room for mistakes. Then again, my build is also even more of a glass cannon than that of botebote possibly because I couldn't wear a shield and ran with 2x Eitr in my ring slots (which kept performing well, even in comparison to Monkey King's Trickery).

The damage of the Nidbow's ability got a little worse in the later parts of legendary but was still noticable enough for me to keep using it (and I might still have a bias towards it because of its animation, too ;D)

I was thinking of recording a quick gameplay video of my build as well, but I'm not sure when I might actually get around to doing that...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 02 May 2018, 19:59:15 »
well, i prefer rapid clicking than holding down RMB anyway.. easier to run if you need to escape suddenly

I was thinking of recording a quick gameplay video of my build as well, but I'm not sure when I might actually get around to doing that...
i would like to see that.. i don't have nidbow yet and I'm quite curious to see that (power strike?) proc.. i will also add that Eitr charm on my guide under "update for ragnarok" :)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 01:32:45 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Gautrec

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: 03 May 2018, 11:08:45 »
well, i prefer rapid clicking than holding down RMB anyway.. easier to run if you need to escape suddenly
True, the most annoying things about this build for me personally are probably those few miliseconds the character needs to start moving again after finishing the animations of Throwing Knives cast by holding down the RMB :D Unfortunately, I have issues with joint pain, especially in my fingers, and am therefore kind of forced into clicking as little as possible :/
I suspect that the aforementioned delay is also made worse by the fact that my movement speed is horrendously low (I only get about 20% from my Demonskin Walkers). Most of the time, this is just a quality-of-life kind of problem; however, kiting is made rather difficult due to these issues. But who needs a low death count - its just a silly little number, right? :P

Not Yet Rated!

Offline maxwolfie

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2018, 06:46:00 »
Just to confirm: enough Dex to wear SB cuffs, everything else into Int?

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal