Author Topic: [TUTORIAL] Merging a mod with your base game  (Read 13256 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -1
[TUTORIAL] Merging a mod with your base game
« on: 09 July 2019, 17:05:42 »
I created this tutorial with my DropSounds mod in mind, so if you need to combine a different mod with your base game the instructions will change somewhat depending on how many files are added to the various .arc files. Additionally, if the only thing that needs to be merged is the database.arz file then you only need to follow the instructions up to that point.

I frequently do this so I can enjoy the effects of my mod with the base game and still load another mod on top of it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Make backups of everything!!!

1. Navigate to where this mod is installed. Mine is installed here: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\475150\1783348088\DropSounds

2. Copy the "DropSounds" folder to your TQIT working folder. Mine is here: C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\Working\CustomMaps

ArtManager has to be setup correctly for this to work. you can find a guide here: https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=935.0

Also, I recommend downloading artmanager 1.6 here: https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=350.0

You should also download the Grim Dawn Archive tool at the above link. Create a folder in your TQ/AE folder to put these files into. Mine is here: C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Titan Quest Anniversary Edition\GDArchiveToolGUI_v1.0

Within this folder create 2 new folders named objecteffects and items. Within the objecteffects folder create another folder named itemeffects.

3. Open the dropsounds mod in artmanager and build. This will create the directory you need.

4. Navigate to your TQ/AE database folder and copy the database.arz file (make a backup!)

5. Paste the database.arz file in the newly created database directory. Mine is here: C:\Users\[user name]\Documents\My Games\Titan Quest - Immortal Throne\custommaps\dropsounds\database

6. Delete the DropSounds.arz file and name the newly pasted file DropSounds.arz

7. Go back to artmanager and open the mod again and build. When it asks if you want to delete unassociated resources click "no to all". Then copy the the database file it created DropSounds.arz (it should be about the size of your original database file ~53MB) back into your TQ/AE database folder and rename it database.arz.

Now we have to add the effects and sounds to the game.

8. Remember when I told you to copy the DropSounds folder in step 1? You need the Sounds.arc and Effects.arc files from the resources directory. Copy them and put them in your GDArchivetool directory (or somewhere equally convenient).

9. Open the Archive tool and drag and drop the sounds.arc file you just copied into the archive tool window (using the toolbar to find a file seems to not work for me). There should be 2 mp3's listed. Highlight both files and drag and drop them into your GDArchivetool directory. Those files should now be in your items directory.

10. Now do the same thing with the Effects.arc file. Those files should now be in the objecteffects/itemeffects folder.

Now it's time to combine those files into the game's original Effects.arc and Sounds.arc files.

11. Navigate to your game's resources directory and drag and drop the Effects.arc file (about 32MB) into the GDArchivetool window (make a backup first!). Find the objecteffects\itemeffects\itemsparkle_blue.pfx and objecteffects\itemeffects\itemsparkle_purple.pfx files within that archive and delete them.

12. Right click anywhere in the Archivetool window and select Add>Folder. Navigate to the objecteffects folder and click ok. Important: only navigate to the objecteffects folder. If you select the itemeffects folder or the files within, the folder structure will get messed up in the Effects.arc file and you'll have to redo it. Now save the file.

13. Do the same thing you just did with the Effects.arc file except now do it with the Sounds.arc file in your Audio directory (not the one in the Resources directory!) except the mp3's you are adding don't exist in the Sounds.arc file so you don't need to delete anything. The file should be about 278MB.

Make sure you make backups of everything!!! I can't stress this enough. When you start messing with the game files it gets very confusing as to which files contain what. I recommend adopting an organized way of naming your backup files so you don't forget which ones are the original game files and which ones contain modded files.
« Last Edit: 09 July 2019, 17:08:48 by undefind »
My mods and some other mods

https://mega.nz/#F!v5tGhawJ!BeMd_SSWpWZAeG4h3F2YFg

ATTENTION! .arz must be the same name as the name of the mod. i.e. custommaps --> DropSounds + Massbosses + Mis are epic + affixes are common

Database needs to have that long name (or change folder name)

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
Re: [TUTORIAL] Merging a mod with your base game
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2019, 17:43:47 »
There was a utility a long time ago that would allow you to merge mods. I found it in my archive and attached it.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 09 July 2019, 18:38:55 »
does this merge mods with the base game or merge 2 mods together?

ATTENTION! .arz must be the same name as the name of the mod. i.e. custommaps --> DropSounds + Massbosses + Mis are epic + affixes are common

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #3 on: 09 July 2019, 19:20:45 »
Just two mods that are in the Working directory pre-build.

It results in a "Custom Map" mod,

However, you can create a bounce mod from the resulting merged mods to virtually merge it with the base game.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2019, 04:33:26 »
Just two mods that are in the Working directory pre-build.

It results in a "Custom Map" mod,

However, you can create a bounce mod from the resulting merged mods to virtually merge it with the base game.

If you merge the mod with the base game you can load another mod. If you merge that mod with another mod you can merge that with your base game and load another mod etc..

That's what this post is about.

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zjapper

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #5 on: 28 July 2019, 02:01:59 »
Great mod, thank you M8.:)
« Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 02:04:13 by Zjapper »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zjapper

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2019, 08:56:34 »
I can't really get it to work.:/
No matter what i try to mark, click on or type. The Merge button never becomes clickable.

I'm trying to merge the massbosses mod with the dropsound mod.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zjapper

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2019, 14:03:10 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline undefind

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2019, 17:13:33 »
I can help you, but not till later today. In my way to church atm.

Also on Steam

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Zjapper

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 28 July 2019, 17:48:27 »
I can help you, but not till later today. In my way to church atm.

You're simply awesome. I would appriciate any help.:)

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal