Author Topic: New Player Class Choice Challenge  (Read 15174 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
New Player Class Choice Challenge
« on: 18 March 2021, 12:13:00 »
Hello everyone, new player here!

I recently bought TQAE and love the concept of combining two masteries to create your class.

I read a couple of guides with recommendations for starting players, but I have a rather specific challenge I'd like to get some advice on:

Normally, I play this kind of game with several characters in parallel because I hate to find great gear that I don't have any use for.
Given that there's a total of 10 masteries, ideally, I'd like to find 5 classes suitable for new players without any overlaps in masteries.
It would be perfect if each chosen class used a different combat approach / weapon type, too.

So far, I've come up with the following:
1) Soothsayer (Spirit + Nature)
2) Harbinger (Warfare + Dream)

These two are pretty much set, the rest I'm less sure on:

3) Elementalist (Storm + Earth)

I'm not sure if this is maybe too much of a glass-cannon?

4) Warden (Hunting + Defense)

The combination of spear + shield seems like a pretty solid choice.

However, that leaves me with:

5) Trickster (Rogue + Rune)

Apparently, this is one of the trickiest (sic!) classes to play, so I'm not sure it's a good choice when I'm just starting to play.

If I ditch the Elementalist, I could go with the following two classes instead:
a) Thunderer (Storm + Rune) and Magician (Rogue + Earth), or
b) Stonespeaker (Earth + Rune) and Sorcerer (Rogue + Storm)

Both Thunderer and Stonespeaker seem to be quite solid choices using either throwing weapons or a bow.
But I'm again left with two classes I'm less sure about:
It seems both Magician and Sorcerer are very gear-dependent.

So, what would be your suggestion for a set of 5 classes without overlapping masteries that would work well for a beginner?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: New Player Class Choice Challenge
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2021, 17:02:54 »
Warden (Hunting + Defense): By far the easiest choice. Hunting is OP and Defense is a solid class, this combo has formidable defensive and offensive power.

Elementalist (Storm + Earth): Lots of AoE but falls easily into a skill cooldown management style. Not very beginner-friendly.

Rogue + Rune: Rune provides lots of support and is amazing, rogue adds lots of CC and Poison damage, but you mostly rely on the other class defenses against bosses. Solid but indeed a bit tricky. Any class with Rogue will be a bit tricky, at the very least.

All in all, I recommend Warden.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 24 March 2021, 11:36:42 »
Thanks for replying!

In the meantime I've been gathering feedback from Steam and Discord, as well.

I've now decided to go with the following roster:
1) Soothsayer (Spirit + Nature)
2) Warden (Hunting + Defense)
3) Stonespeaker (Earth + Rune)
4) Assassin (Rogue + Warfare)
5) Prophet (Dream + Storm)

I consider it a good sign, you're also recommending Warden! :-)

I'm also happy with my decision to not go the Elementalist route.

Regarding the Trickster, I felt it was too risky - at least for a beginner like me.
Hopefully, the Assassin isn't as squishy.

This left me with a Prophet as my 5th character:
Apparently this was quite a popular choice before the Anniversary Edition.
I hope for some good synergy to boost the Electric Burn damage, but it's definitely the choice I feel least sure about.

I started playing the Soothsayer, which turned out to be an excellent choice for a first character:
It doesn't require _any_ gear at all since my wolf pets are simply tearing through everything,
and I'm left doing almost nothing but running after them to open chests and pick up loot.

Yesterday I finished Act I and have collected some great gear for my other characters:
About two dozen blue and green items, especially loads of throwing weapons for my Stonespeaker,
but also two spears and shields for my Warden.

I'm planning to play the Warden next :-)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 24 March 2021, 19:23:10 »
No problem is just a recommendation based on my own experience :)

Assassin is also squishy, maybe a bit more if you dual wield. Also kills very fast. Don't worry, this game is not that hard, you will see with time.

Have fun with all those builds, you went all in!

Normally is recommended to level one int and one physical build in parallel for a better equipment spread.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline icefreeze

• ??
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +7
« Reply #4 on: 24 March 2021, 19:26:48 »
Why don't you just swap masteries between Assassin and Soothsayer?
Like Illusionist (Rogue + Nature) and (Warfare + Spirit) is more balanced for both offense and defense.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 25 March 2021, 10:21:20 »
No particular reason apart from nobody suggesting it until now  ;D

As mentioned, I had cross-posted on the Steam community and got a lot of different recommendations, but nobody suggested Spellbreaker.
However, only a few classes remain that nobody mentioned. The most common suggestion for Rogue was actually Brigand (Rogue + Hunting):
https://steamcommunity.com/app/475150/discussions/0/2561864094346968557/

Unfortunately, it's too late now to switch the masteries since my Soothsayer is already at level 19 now and I've just started investing in the Spirit Mastery  :(

Yesterday I started playing my Warden. I stopped after reaching level 8, ready to leave Tegea. So far, the only fight where I had to use a few health potions was against Nessos.
Currently, I'm fighting with Fire Spike and a Deathweaver's Shield, and plan to switch to Shiverblood when I reach the required minimum level. I'm also starting most fights using the Telliam's Will bow. The remaining gear is also really good for its level, so I don't foresee any problems making it through the first Act.

After the Warden, I plan to play my Stonespeaker.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 30 March 2021, 21:37:23 »
Nah, Brigand is just recommended because has the highest damage potential, people see big damage and go crazy. But other combinations usually are more solid. Brigand doesn't have much AoE, and is a bit squishy. Of course with enough gear, you can create a monster.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2021, 11:58:45 »
Nah, Brigand is just recommended because has the highest damage potential, people see big damage and go crazy.
That's what I suspected.

In the meantime I'm on my 4th playthrough of the 1st Act Normal.

- My Warden eventually did great after gaining his first artifact (Shroud of Eternal Night).
- The Stonespeaker turned out to be truly overpowered, though, dual-wielding a 'Small Torch' and a 'Skeletal Darts'.

The Assassin is my first character that is struggling a bit - or at least somewhat prone to die unexpectedly... She's currently at level 16 in Athen. I suppose the problem could just be that I'm basically trying to play her like my Warden... Perhaps I should start investing in Traps? Currently, I have almost all of my skill points in Warfare, maxing Dodge and the Dual-Wielding skills.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 31 March 2021, 12:58:51 »
Dual Wield early is a bit of a trap. DW truly shines when all DW skills are maxed, and some + skills. Really adds very little at the beginning.

There are two support skills especially effective to counter the squishiness of the assasin:

- Mandrake on the poison weapon line: That fumble really adds up to survability, monsters will miss so often, if not confused. Not some useful against bosses, Whirlwind is great to spread it on engage.

- Battle standard + Triumph, especially for those bosses and hard encounters. The damage absorption and phys reduction really is something.

Knifes + Traps is a completely different route.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 31 March 2021, 13:25:52 »
Dual Wield early is a bit of a trap. DW truly shines when all DW skills are maxed, and some + skills. Really adds very little at the beginning.
:(
- Mandrake on the poison weapon line: That fumble really adds up to survability, monsters will miss so often, if not confused. Not some useful against bosses, Whirlwind is great to spread it on engage.

- Battle standard + Triumph, especially for those bosses and hard encounters. The damage absorption and phys reduction really is something.
I already put one point into 'Battle Standard' - if I remember to activate it, it's indeed quite helpful :P

Using Mandrake sounds like a good idea. So far, I avoided putting points into the poison skill chain since I thought it was only about the damage...
Knifes + Traps is a completely different route.
Okay, gotcha! Thanks for the tips  8)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline andyblast

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2021, 04:44:27 »
This game does not scale well on difficulty on replay runs (unlike DII). For normal or epic, things will get utterly boring on pre-orient maps. Try this (Sequentially):

1. Get any of the increase mob-spawn mods (X-max etc, my fav is Massbosses).
2. Set personal conditions:
 a. no deaths.
 b. no potions.
 c. no vaults.
 d. no rares.

If u can beat the game on 10x/massbosses on leggo with ZERO deaths/ZERO potions, that's ur default fav class.

Personally Ive done it till 72 on pre-Ragnarok old TQIT, then the 10x XP grind kills u no matter what

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2021, 16:06:40 »
This game does not scale well on difficulty on replay runs (unlike DII). For normal or epic, things will get utterly boring on pre-orient maps.

Actually, totally agree.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline jhaelen

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2021, 09:49:27 »
This game does not scale well on difficulty on replay runs (unlike DII). For normal or epic, things will get utterly boring on pre-orient maps.

Actually, totally agree.
That's good to keep in mind, thanks!

Since I'm playing my five characters in parallel, it will take me a while until I'm ready for the next difficulty.

At the moment I've finished Act III Normal with all of them and completed Act IV Normal with the Soothsayer.
Since item drops were quite underwhelming, I then proceeded directly to Atlantis instead of switching to the next character.
Since Atlantis appears to be rather short, I should be able to finish it today (I'm at the waypoint after the Atlantis Wilderness, right now).

I'm glad I have the Soothsayer, since she's ideal for a first playthrough, requiring almost no gear.
All I care about are some +skills items to boost the level of my pets when summoning them and a staff and jewelry to increase pet damage.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal