Author Topic: talk to me about Diviner  (Read 21277 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
talk to me about Diviner
« on: 29 January 2018, 10:43:07 »
So, this is my first true caster toon. Right now I'm halfway through Legendary so Psionic Immolation is still effective. My playstyle for now is Immolation via Distortion wave, Temporal Rift via Distort Reality when mobbed, and clean up any stragglers with throwing (Neith's Will since it has Vitality damage). However, I call tell Wave is starting to drop off in effectiveness as I was warned about. I was thinking to switch over to Ternion attack, until I realized that there are no Staves with Vitality damage as primary (!). Well, I have one but it's very low level. Almost every buff in this class is Vitality, hardly any Elemental. The weird thing is there is also hardly any Vitality attack spells. So tons of Vitality buffs, but no attacks other than the underwhelming Life Drain. And potentially a great Elemental attack in Ternion, but no Elemental buffs other than a moderate amount, and only briefly, from Unearthly Power. Finally, weirdly enough, a bunch of Bleeding damage buffs (meh). So what's the play here if I want to go caster playstyle throughout the game? I mean there is the Lich, who has plenty of Vitality attacks, which I have maxed out...I'm not sure how much mileage I'm getting from him, seems like he tends to focus on one mob at a time and is not a particularly fast killer, even though I have all my Vitality buffs pretty much maxed out. Then again I'm not a very good Pet player, as I do not actively manage them.

Edit: Just discovered something veerry interesting: % reduction to enemy health is Vitality damage. Oooh. This changes things.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2018, 11:03:16 by Hal900x »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: talk to me about Diviner
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2018, 12:06:15 »
i bet those who say distortion wave falls off are those who say casters suck in this game.. actually, if you're looking for advice for casters, you should be asking those who have played successful casters throughout the game.. unfortunately, spirit doesn't give much for true casters.. but try this: max necrosis for the vit damage in DR (if you haven't already).. then wear resistance reduction gear not from a weapon.. i would advice Polaris and monkey kings trickery (both).. then spread RR though ternion before attacking with distortion wave.. also max liche king and hypnotic gaze.. but it could've been easier if you had chosen hunting or storm instead of spirit (for true casters that is.. ternion is not a true caster for me)

edit: i just remembered you'll use ternion so a boreas will work or a green staff with shen-nongs

about that reduction to enemy health.. it is resisted by vitality resist but it does not scale with %vit damage.. health reduction scales with a monster's current health, not total health so the less health a boss has, the less damage you deal.. also per changelog, bosses now have 85/90/95% resistance to health reduction so good luck on that
« Last Edit: 29 January 2018, 14:48:21 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2018, 12:08:42 »
Mine is a melee ternion user. absolutely destroys anything with a few hits. Tried him out in ae and damage still seems good. not sure what has changed in spirit skills now. but im using a harrowing staff and strength gear
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2018, 22:04:00 »
Mine is a melee ternion user. absolutely destroys anything with a few hits. Tried him out in ae and damage still seems good. not sure what has changed in spirit skills now. but im using a harrowing staff and strength gear

Melee with Ternion? How does that work? Weapon switch?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2018, 22:11:03 »
i bet those who say distortion wave falls off are those who say casters suck in this game.. actually, if you're looking for advice for casters, you should be asking those who have played successful casters throughout the game.. unfortunately, spirit doesn't give much for true casters.. but try this: max necrosis for the vit damage in DR (if you haven't already).. then wear resistance reduction gear not from a weapon.. i would advice Polaris and monkey kings trickery (both).. then spread RR though ternion before attacking with distortion wave.. also max liche king and hypnotic gaze.. but it could've been easier if you had chosen hunting or storm instead of spirit (for true casters that is.. ternion is not a true caster for me)

edit: i just remembered you'll use ternion so a boreas will work or a green staff with shen-nongs

about that reduction to enemy health.. it is resisted by vitality resist but it does not scale with %vit damage.. health reduction scales with a monster's current health, not total health so the less health a boss has, the less damage you deal.. also per changelog, bosses now have 85/90/95% resistance to health reduction so good luck on that

Good, because I love Distortion Wave. Set it up correctly and you take out a whole pack. If I miss, DR takes care of the rest. When I say Caster, I pretty much mean Wave/DR. That's all I really need at this point, maybe a few shots from Neith's.

So there is no way to scale %reduction...that does make sense. But Pazuzu mentioned a Harrowing staff, so it must be useful somehow.

When you say to max Lich King, did you mean the base skill? I have most of his stuff maxed except his base.

Finally, bosses have high resists to health reduction, but wouldn't maxing out Necrosis take care of that (if the reduction is additive), or is it a multiplicative DR reduction?

Edit (more stuff): I thought any non-weapon gear such as Polaris (which I don't have) only procs when you get hit. Also Monkey King's Trickery is pretty damn low RR, is it really worth it?

Finally, I am not married to Ternion. It just seemed like the indicated option if Wave is going to start getting weak. I'll post my current build here in a bit.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2018, 22:15:58 by Hal900x »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2018, 22:45:16 »
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Hal900x

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2018, 23:43:42 »
Immortal Diviner
I have no idea what is going on there, but it looks good. x% of damage returned to health? pre-AE?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2018, 00:24:04 »
monkey kings trickery only gives 12 resistance reduction but it's flat.. meaning if a monster has 50% resistance, the mechanics will be 50-12=38%.. still not that huge so i suggested to pair it with Polaris which also gives flat resistance reduction.. the chance to proc is based on your weapon attack not enemy hits.. it's just 20% chance but with multiple 3 projectiles, it will proc more often

being a mage is tied with resistance reduction and spirit doesn't give anything to distortion wave.. it has necrosis which reduces vit and life leech resist (absolute RR so not multiplicatively) but it also has small radius so it's better suited for melees like  Pazuzu's (you can still follow it if you have strength and dex)

since you don't have Polaris, shen-nongs will work.. or better yet, a staff of the betrayer with shen-nongs.. shen-nongs (18 flat) and monkey kings (12 flat) would be flat 30 so in the case of 50% resist, it will be down to 20%

on x% converted to health, it does not scale with vit.. it scales with your own damage.. it is resisted by life lech resist so you actually steal more life if you have resistance reduction.. necrosis gives huge flat RR to life leech so you can steal boat loads of life if you have maxed necrosis.. i do the same with my melee bonecharmer
« Last Edit: 30 January 2018, 00:35:51 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Benitot

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 30 January 2018, 23:51:28 »
If you want to go melee in AE go INT/DEX. Use Mage items as far as possible and put just enough strength so you can use your weapon and shield.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 31 January 2018, 11:56:43 »
actually, your diviner is very much salvageable.. you'd need about 65% CDR and the resistance reduction though ternion (which i can tell you haven't tried yet).. 65% because that's about what you need in order to make dark covenant permanent.. it can be frustrating though having to cast it every 30sec (at lvl 10) or every 21sec (at lvl 6).. i hope you didn't spend too much on dex though
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 31 January 2018, 12:06:06 »
I noticed that bosses and even elites have higher resistances now, also its harder to leech life from them. I  can still easily kill mobs with my diviner, but killing bosses has become a bit harder. But with the use of the 3 pets and the circle of power or whatever its called, its still easy to defeat any boss. The outsider deals huge damage. I still think strength gear is the way to go with ternion user, becuase you need to be at close range for it to work.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 31 January 2018, 12:24:24 »
I noticed that bosses and even elites have higher resistances now, also its harder to leech life from them. I  can still easily kill mobs with my diviner, but killing bosses has become a bit harder. But with the use of the 3 pets and the circle of power or whatever its called, its still easy to defeat any boss. The outsider deals huge damage. I still think strength gear is the way to go with ternion user, becuase you need to be at close range for it to work.
speaking of strength ternion, you'd be surprised at carnyx staff.. it's a blue staff i found in act 5 normal.. it deals 100 physical damage (no elemental) but every attack is AoE and every attack pierces through enemies (like 100% chance to pass through).. it's not listed so it's like a hidden attribute

https://www.tq-db.net/equipment/carnyx-staff

http://imgur.com/bVvD3n8

http://imgur.com/YTbTzQe
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal