Author Topic: LoC Ragnarok / Atlantis development  (Read 34933 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: LoC Ragnarok / Atlantis development
« Reply #30 on: 19 April 2021, 21:56:24 »
Had an idea rattling around in my head. Instead of Ordnance which I never used except for the torso for the skill and +skills...what if instead you could craft a relic that had +skills and an item skill. Probably for torso armor only.

What do you think? A little crafting but it doesn't lock in your choice for armor except it has to accept relics, so uniques are out.

Maybe it could go on amulets instead. Or craft an amulet instead of a relic that had a tinkerer suffix. Is there a must have amulet in TQ? Usually the ammy slot is to fill in resistances in my experience.

Yeah Amulet is also more easy to work out with so many class combination.

Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -8
« Reply #31 on: 20 April 2021, 19:07:39 »
Been updating all the Ordnance summon skills to be permanent instead of timed. Have to rebalance what was an Outside summon to a Liche King if you get what I mean.

Created a wisp with a skull for a head for Oracle using the skeleton mesh and transparent texture to hide the body, but I wanted a gaze attack. The medusa animations are actually great for a floating skull which was a happy accident finding out, but the skeleton mesh couldn't use the medusa petrify animation to shoot projectiles. I was pretty frustrated, so I talked it out with my wife and realized while describing the problem, I could just "flip" the attach point in the skeleton mesh. Well, long story short: Behold!

Edit: for the modders, if you notice when it spawned, the Earth Enchantment particle effect shows on the R Hand and L Hand attach points, so after this I moved them to the same spot as HeadEffect.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2021, 19:19:10 by Bumbleguppy »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #32 on: 21 April 2021, 11:49:29 »
Looks nice, as always !
One suggestion is to change the "gorgon" sound when the skull casts the petrifying gaze ; those kind of things really help making every monster/pet feel unique.

A few weeks ago, I was thinking about how to improve performance in Atlantis and from what people said, figured that I should add proper ragdolls for Atlantis monsters (starting with those infamous serpentoids) even if it meant reusing existing animations that don't perfectly suit those.
I experimented a bit, but as it appears you changed like the whole roster and it worked, I'd be interested to see which anm you picked or changed for that matter.
Is there any link for the mod ? (or could you share only the records/xpack3/creatures .dbr + modified .anm ?)

I heard they improved shadow performance in 2.10, so that they are no longer calculated when too far (like, when you get that vista or the Atlantis ruins in the jungle). Maybe this, in combination with proper ragdolls, will make the whole thing playable.

Also I'm going to use the cyclops fixed death animation not only for Polyphemus but all of them, seems like a better deal.
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #33 on: 21 April 2021, 16:09:03 »
A few weeks ago, I was thinking about how to improve performance in Atlantis and from what people said, figured that I should add proper ragdolls for Atlantis monsters (starting with those infamous serpentoids) even if it meant reusing existing animations that don't perfectly suit those.
I experimented a bit, but as it appears you changed like the whole roster and it worked, I'd be interested to see which anm you picked or changed for that matter.
Is there any link for the mod ? (or could you share only the records/xpack3/creatures .dbr + modified .anm ?)

That information is actually great, thanks for sharing.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: 21 April 2021, 17:16:57 »
I always feel self conscious when someone asks to use my work in their mod like "Hey, wait a minute...I was just fooling around with this stuff"

Anyway, I zipped the anm tables that I am actually using and attached to this post.

I used dissolve on all of them I think, as it hides how the death animations aren't actually perfect. The Merfolk use the medusaminion death anims which leaves their mesh floating a meter in the air, but if you dissolve them fast enough it still looks ok. The serpentoids are harder, I'm thinking of adding a blood mist or splatter as it's just not very good. I definitely used dissolve on them.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: 21 April 2021, 17:47:24 »
I always feel self conscious when someone asks to use my work in their mod like "Hey, wait a minute...I was just fooling around with this stuff"

Anyway, I zipped the anm tables that I am actually using and attached to this post.

I used dissolve on all of them I think, as it hides how the death animations aren't actually perfect. The Merfolk use the medusaminion death anims which leaves their mesh floating a meter in the air, but if you dissolve them fast enough it still looks ok. The serpentoids are harder, I'm thinking of adding a blood mist or splatter as it's just not very good. I definitely used dissolve on them.

Thanks. I suppose that unless you know how to mod animations bone by bone, this is as good as it can get anyways.
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: 21 April 2021, 17:59:07 »
Hope it helps. I'll let you know if I find anything better.

BTW, the gorgon sound in the death wisp skill was something I didn't notice. I assumed it was the chaos start pak sound from the greek Telkine for some reason. I mean, that's how I remember the gorgon petrify skill sounding, though it doesn't.

Hmm, that gives me an idea.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #37 on: 23 April 2021, 22:01:52 »
Ha ha, just spent the last hour changing the XP Potion to "Steamed Ham" complete with icons and buttons:

When you use it, Superintendent Chalmers yells "Good Lord what is happening in there?!"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: 25 April 2021, 21:15:57 »
Had an idea today, and it turns out it works.

The new template for Rune Mines can also use the ProjectileAreaOfEffect projectile template, not just the new mine projectile template.

So I made some aoe projectiles that use the Effects/fire/firegroundlarge02.dbr as the flightfx and gave them 2.5 m explode radius in the skill. So now Medusa has a skill that spawns 6 area of effect ground fires around her that cause damage when you enter their aoe and last for about 6 seconds and disappear.

Did the same with Arachne and her poison cloud attack.

If you get the fx and explosion radius and skill angle settings just right, you could create what would appear to be a closed circle of fire or anything else.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: 29 April 2021, 04:23:36 »
OMG, I just had the craziest time today with modding.

You know the new Dark Obelisks in Gadir in the Atlantis DLC? They spawn one embalmed priest ghost when you first encounter them. It's a really cool mesh, too...very spooky and great for establishing the mood.

But they don't summon any more monsters. Like, ever.

So I was buffing them with Deathchill Aura and a free version of Dark Covenant and testing in game when I noticed, they never summon one more monster.

In their file they use the Monster Shrine animations from the original game, but looking in the XPack 3 directory, there are new animations for this shrine and the attack animation looks pretty cool, so why didn't they use that?

Opened up the animation file and again, there was no "LeftHandHit" or swipe callback. So I just copied the callback points from the original, timed the hit using my original disc version of Viewer and saved it in my mods assets. Still didn't work.

Anyway, discovered that for some unknown reason, this mesh needs the Attack Speed in their monster file set to greater than zero. All others have 0 attack speed as the skill uses the spell attack animation, but this one couldn't...it's a mystery why.

So I set it to 1 and bingo, cool new animation and spawning ghosts that converted my pets and they started killing each other...but it worked!

If you want these Shrines to spawn more ghosts than one ghost, you don't need to add the new animations, though they are cool, the critical problem was the attack speed in the Character Bio > Character Parameters > Character Speed needs to be set to a positive non-zero value and you're good to go. Everything else in their file is fine.

I'm going to be completely frank, I think the devs slapped the summon skill in the "initialSkill" slot in the skill configuration because that doesn't require the attack animation to cast and they didn't realize the problem. So you encounter these with one ghost spawned, take them out and you're none the wiser that it can't cast a second ghost at all. Pretty clever to just push to production like that lol

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: 03 May 2021, 00:06:47 »
There is a cave I wanted to do something with for the big Djinn sister boss, I already added things to the two others. Since this is Stone themed, I thought why not do the same thing I did with the fires on the map but instead do a cave-in simulation for flavor?

So I created a skill_dropprojectiletelekinesis skill and gave it to an invisible monster. It works like a charm, doesn't stun or even do very much damage, but it certainly sets a mood lol

But when I tested it, it had a terrible screen shake effect. So I went to the skill and look at the Effect settings...I didn't set it. Okay, maybe the fxPak effect file adds it. Nope, didn't add it there.

So I look in the new level 7 skill Meteor and it's not set there either, but it also has a terrible screen shaking effect.

So I did a text search to see if the game did something similar as with the vendor icons in that maybe there is a default screen shake database file that it references, no such luck finding one though.

I copied the skill template and renamed it, set the skill to it and tested, still has a screen shake,

I've come to the conclusion that the "Class" "Skill_DropProjectileTelekinesis" has it inside the game engine as no setting in art manager can stop the screen shake effect.

I would have just liked to have a choice, so the only thing I can do is have a long delay between castings. But I'm really feeling defeated again by the game engine. Sigh.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2021, 00:08:58 by Bumbleguppy »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: 03 May 2021, 01:39:50 »
Strange, dont duneraider flaming rocks skill use the same template ? it dont screen shake if i remenber.

What if you change the sand falling effect ( from egypt sand cves) and replace by small rocks ? isnt the same thing but it can give a close look, no ?
Check my upcoming TQ project - Titanomachy - "https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=910.0"

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #42 on: 03 May 2021, 01:43:42 »
Weird, I was JUST looking at the sand falling effect mesh right as I got email notification of your reply. Spooky.

I was looking at it because all mine are green for some reason. I didn't change them from my first mod so I don't get what happened.

It uses some weird shader that makes the falling effect not an animation or anything.

I decided to just up the delay time on the falling rocks to 24 seconds so at least it isn't constant screen shaking, best I got.

The dune raider skill uses the volcanic orb projectile, right from the earth effect directory not a special drop telekinesis projectile. Hmm, I will try that.

EDIT: Well, it isn't what I wanted, but at least they aren't so annoying lol. Funny, if I use the dunraider style projectile, I can't get the screen to shake no matter what setting I use lol

So I had to play around with it, there are a couple that drop only like 2 or 3 rocks but straight down, so I had to place a lot of them in the map just to get coverage. Then I made one that is the full blown Meteor style for the boss area(s).

Modders note: One tip with invisible monsters, use an idle animation for everything: attack, spell attack, run, idle...except buff self/other and give it monstershrineattack animations for those. Set the same animation in a special animation slot and reference that in the invisible monster's skill special animation slot. Otherwise it's going to attack the player/pets....even if it does no damage, it spoils the look.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2021, 02:49:42 by Bumbleguppy »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bumbleguppy

• D'oh-ist Mage
  • Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: 05 May 2021, 08:29:19 »
Created an animation for buff and projectile cast with new particle effects on either one or both hands for Rune, Dream, Earth, Storm and Nature for unarmed, One Handed, Dual Wield, Spear, Staff, Ranged one and two handed and it looks great. Had to sacrifice the Taunt animation on one handed, spear and dual wield but I'm okay with that since it's my mod and I let my pets do the taunting.

Had to keep my Flex animation though lol, it makes me laugh.

Did I mention I tried to make a custom chipset? The Place of Truth dungeon needed a new look, so I recolored the egypt temple chipset to dark gray and black. You need the texture referenced inside the mesh as the only chipset database file just assigns the meshes to the chipset and that's it, no base texture override like with everything else. So I made custom mesh files for EVERYTHING and it was tedious lol

Something was wacky as you couldn't path at all in game and the portal to connect with the outside didn't even register in the editor AS a portal. Lots and lots of work and time down the toilet. I hate when that happens. Oh well.

Things are going great otherwise. I am playtesting a Druid again and just got to Atlantis in epic. I have the game in "windowed" fullscreen mode and the ArtManager open on my other monitor so I can edit as I find things in-game. I could never go back to the single monitor days to do any kind of computer work, browsing the web or watching videos yeah, but work? More monitors is better.

Tested petgamebalanceattributes and they did fix that bug from the old days and now I can edit it. Now I am starting the process of moving to the new bossgamebalanceattributes.dbr

I am keeping the custom skill file that's in every bosses file (except Typhon, that crashes my game every time) because the new file doesn't have racial defense and I need that to make pets less effective against bosses. But I am stripping out all the HP and damage and everything else from my boss file and just leaving the race defense. Haven't tested it yet, but I think the new boss global file will need some buffing for bosses heh heh.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline sauruz

• Maze Lord
  • Global Admin
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: 06 May 2021, 00:57:58 »

Things are going great otherwise. I am playtesting a Druid again and just got to Atlantis in epic. I have the game in "windowed" fullscreen mode and the ArtManager open on my other monitor so I can edit as I find things in-game. I could never go back to the single monitor days to do any kind of computer work, browsing the web or watching videos yeah, but work? More monitors is better.

I am keeping the custom skill file that's in every bosses file (except Typhon, that crashes my game every time) because the new file doesn't have racial defense and I need that to make pets less effective against bosses. But I am stripping out all the HP and damage and everything else from my boss file and just leaving the race defense. Haven't tested it yet, but I think the new boss global file will need some buffing for bosses heh heh.

Ah i use the good old, paper and pen to take notes on what i need to change during the testing, i guess im so used to this method and i cant changed it

How about Surtr ?Did you found any issue with him ? Or it just Typhon ?

Typhoon have a unique global passive file, does it mean if i change any values from it the game crash ? I remenber over the Loc versions you said something related with weird "love and hate" between Typhon and buffs.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal