Author Topic: Interesting Myth Stories  (Read 1515 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Interesting Myth Stories
« on: 28 November 2019, 13:26:09 »
Do you know of any interesting myth stories you want to share?

There may come a time we forget about our characters but a memory of a good read can sometimes last a lifetime

I hope this one is interesting enough

What really started the Trojan War?

Most of us here probably know the story of the Trojan War. That Trojan horse, Greece vs Troy, Achilles' legacy, Helen running away with Paris. But how did it really start?

I wish i had known this when i was in high school when I had the wonderful task of reporting the Iliad. My teacher asked me why do i think Helen went willingly with Paris.

And no, the answer isn't because Helen had a fangirl crush on Legolas.

There was this nereid (sea nymph) named Thetis, who i guess was beautiful enough because both Zeus and Poseidon tried courting her. But there was also a prophecy that Thetis' son would be greater than his father. And so Zeus decided Thetis would be married to a mere mortal. If you read more about Zeus, he isn't really a respectable God. He probably was afraid he would have a son stronger than him. This mortal human was no douche though. He was Peleus, king of the myrmidons.

Now if those names sound familiar to you, that is because Thetis and Peleus would be the eventual parents of Achilles (remember that 'son greater than the father prophecy'?).

And so here begins our story, the wedding of Thetis and Peleus. On this wedding, the gods (Zeus,etc) were invited. Also present in this wedding is Paris, prince of Troy, and yes that character played by Orlando Bloom on the 2004 movie Troy.

But there was one goddess not invited, Eris, goddess of discord. The Gods probably know her presence would not be appreciated, she was the goddess of discord after all. So out of spite, she threw an apple inside and written on it was "to the fairest one". That apple would eventually be known as the apple of discord.

Three goddesses said "ah to the fairest one, so this should be mine". They were Hera, wife of Zeus, Athena, goddess of wisdom and warfare, and Aphrodite, goddess of beauty.

To settle the dispute, Zeus said it should be Paris deciding who claims the apple. Paris apparently had previous accomplishments that Zeus deemed him worthy, but for all we know, he might have just planned it all.

So Hera came to Paris, saying "if you choose me, i will make you king of Europe and Asia". Athena then said "if you choose me, i will give you victory in your battles, you will have fame and fortune". Aphrodite, being the goddess of beauty, appeared to Paris fully naked, and simply said "if you choose me, i will give you the most beautiful woman on the planet". This happened to be Helen, the face that launched a thousand ships, and who also happened to be the wife of Menelaus, king of Sparta.

Well, you can probably guess who Paris chose. On some versions, all 3 goddesses appeared to Paris fully nude. But most versions say at least Aphrodite appeared to Paris in all her naked glory. And so the Trojan War started.

You can probably Google "apple of discord" or "the judgement of Paris" and stumble upon this story

Do you have an interesting story to tell? please share
« Last Edit: 28 November 2019, 14:27:36 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline efko

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: Interesting Myth Stories
« Reply #1 on: 29 November 2019, 01:04:00 »
This site has nice stories about Egyptian mythology http://www.egyptianmyths.net/
discord: efko#5979
╚►They say "Before you die your whole life flashes before your eyes…". Make it worth watching. It's true, even for a blind man... ◄╝
              ╚►It is said some lives are linked across time, connected by an ancient calling that echoes through the ages ◄╝

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal