Author Topic: Illusionist Build  (Read 35988 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Illusionist Build
« Reply #15 on: 16 December 2017, 17:22:50 »
Thank you, botebote77. I have taken a look at your ideas and considered them. My plan was to go without pets, and mainly focus on being a poison caster. As you pointed it out, it might not work...but I want to give it a try. So far, I haven't had much trouble, but I am still in Normal.

I played a similar playstyle in Grim Dawn, and it is a fun way to play in that game. So far, it seems if you stack enough poison damage from gear, you can hit an enemy once and walk away and it will die due to the DOT. This works less well with Undead and Constructs, obviously.

So the playstyle so far is either launching a poison gas bomb into a crowd and watch them die. If they get close, I plague them and they die. If they are within melee range I can slash them with my Deathweaver Legtip (I think that's its name/don't know if it's actually a dagger or sword quite honestly), walk away and the DOT kills them. I will probably use Briar Ward and its modifiers for some CC later on. Is that a useful skill?

I am using a one handed weapon and shield for the most part. Bow seems to be more safe, but I have played way too many bow characters in the past, and I'm trying to do something different.

Like you said, I should experiment with more skills. I don't see a lot of other poison skills unless I'm missing something. I suppose I could add pierce and bleed from the Rogue mastery, assuming gears support those damage types with poison.
« Last Edit: 16 December 2017, 17:27:14 by Thanatos »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #16 on: 16 December 2017, 18:02:47 »
since you're dead set for it, i say go for it :)

is briar ward useful? hell yes especially with sanctuary.. my self rule is never trash a skill so of course that includes briar ward.. i always find good use for each skill.. for briar ward it's especially useful for ranged attackers

for others though i can't help you.. this is your own unconventional build 8)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: 19 December 2017, 08:35:32 »
botebote77 (or anyone else reading this) - This seems like a good place to ask since I'm playing an Illusionist. I was having such a great time with my "Plaguemancer" playstyle, but now I have hit a wall. I had my first death/fail during Act 4 quest where you have to protect that torchbearer outside of Rhodes. I simply couldn't kill the Undead in time due to their insane poison resistance. Every other enemy type has went down easily, even Typhon on the first try. But when it comes to those pesky Undead, it's like my character goes back to level 1. My DPS is around 650.

Susceptibility seems almost completely useless in my experience, even maxed out. I'm a little surprised by this. What is the Undead's poison resistance like 5000%?!

I tried to link my build from Titancalc but it isn't saving it right when I try to post in on this forum.  :-\

Basically, I am using Poison Gas Bomb, Plague + Susceptibility, Nymph, Heart of Oak + Permanence of Stone, Envenom Weapon + rest of the tree, and that's basically it so far.

I don't foresee how dealing with the Undead as a poison based character can be overcome at this point.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: 19 December 2017, 08:55:47 »
because in AE, undeads don't have poison resistance but they have poison absorption.. meaning you can't lower them with RR or susceptibility.. at least that's my understanding

based on my personal observations, undeads are weak against fire and physical.. pierce even with RR is still weak

better get other skills then

edit: from the AE changelog under enemies:

- Undead now absorb 70% Poison damage (on all difficulties) rather than having a resistance
« Last Edit: 19 December 2017, 09:07:15 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Thanatos

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: 19 December 2017, 09:02:49 »
Thanks. Based on what you said, I may try Lethal Strike or Calculated Strike, as they both have Physical Damage.

Now I am thinking about trying a similar build but with Spirit + Rogue for Spirit Ward and Spirit Bane, but that's off topic. Anyway, away I go, to deal with my Undead enemies! I can't give up now. lol

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bobinho11

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2018, 23:58:21 »
I was thinking of making an illusionist but i would like to go melee...any tips or advice? Or advice against? 😁
Lvl 65 Bone Charmer, lvl 43 Conqueror

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: 04 April 2018, 01:09:48 »
actually i have played this melee + wolves, archer + wolves, pure petmaster (traps + pets).. but eventually settled for this build (i use throwing weapons now btw)

i don't know what build you're thinking but i strongly suggest wolves' strength of the pack, HoO, nightshade, mandrake, plague tree, and if you really plan the melee way, calculated strike and lethal strike.. if you get traps, that is a huge plus and not much different from my build.. survivability will be a problem that's why you need the CCs from both masteries

advice against, i have none.. try it and try whatever build you can think of.. if you're playing a character, you might as well play with it, right?

you might want to look at thorny maul if you have one.. but it's slow and has no life steal so it will demand more from your other items
SB cuffs probably with rage of Ares though is a good item choice
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Bobinho11

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: 04 April 2018, 01:39:24 »
Thanks will give it some thought..i am starting from scratch on xbox so i have no equips for this char but i dont mind. Like you said, need to play with it. Oh and i think plague is bugged for us but they will patch it up.

Cheers!
Lvl 65 Bone Charmer, lvl 43 Conqueror

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2018, 11:56:05 »
I'm glad i wrote this guide.. i decided to reread it and only then did i remember about mbuti's advocate.. maybe i changed weapons when i was trying to optimize this for ragnarok and just forgot about it.. anyway it's my secondary again and i like it more than winds of asphodel because the study prey procs with knives.. and I'm playing x3 so a debuff is better if it's AoE.. i killed 3 Typhon and 3 Surtr faster this time.

btw, if anyone is following this and can't beat Toxeus, there is a trick to that.. if you hug the wall you can summon wolf inside the cage without opening the gate.. immediately cast refresh so you can summon 2 wolves quickly inside.. then cast plague.. you can eventually summon 3 wolves inside.. nymph is no go.. do not hug the gate because you might accidentally open it, just the wall to the side (press shift just to be safe).

actually the trick is not mine.. it's a trick thought of by someone from another forum borne from his desperation of trying to kill Toxeus with his petmaster (not illusionist).. i just ripped the idea.. credit to that guy (sorry i can't remember your name :/  )

it takes time but i can guarantee it works because it's the only way i can beat Toxeus with this character.. you can use scrolls like ice nova or stalwart alliance or something if it takes too long to your liking

the other bosses in SP pose no threat to pets + traps even if you open the gates.. it doesn't work against the newest cage (the one with no door) so you just intentionally let yourself get teleported by that mage guy with a staff.. or if you can attack melee, melee weapons can reach through those walls (sometimes the mage does not want to cast teleport)

ps: this build is still so much fun i decided to play it again starting Typhon.. I'll go through the whole act 4 and act 5 again :)
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline legowarrior

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: 31 July 2018, 15:03:58 »
Is it wrong that I beat both the final Telkine and Surtr by throwing traps at them out of range, and just having them do all the work?  Is that still an option at the higher difficulties, because it really fits my gameplay style (No risk and no satisfaction!).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #25 on: 31 July 2018, 17:34:09 »
Why would it be wrong?  You brought them down, that's all that matters.  Fully maxed they should work.  May take a while and a lot of traps, but it can be done.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: 31 July 2018, 21:48:29 »
yes nothing wrong with that.. and you can still do it in higher difficulties because there are better pet gear on higher difficulties.. i killed 3 Barmanu without even seeing the other 2.. and the first one was on the far edge of my screen too busy attacking my traps  ;D

possible only with traps O0
« Last Edit: 31 July 2018, 21:50:23 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline legowarrior

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: 01 August 2018, 14:58:21 »
That's cool, but with Sutr and the final Telkine, I can just hangout on the cliff edge.  There is no risk.  I just keep throwing Gas Bombs and Traps.  I think the developer might consider that a bug. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #28 on: 01 August 2018, 15:14:54 »
Why would it be a bug?  There are several skills in the game that you can do that with.  Also skills like Squall can be cast through walls to attack foes while you stay safely out of the way.  I've happily thrown Traps, Squall, Volcanic Orbs, Lightning Bolts down from the Great Wall onto the Giant Peng to take him out. 

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #29 on: 01 August 2018, 16:00:45 »
Not only with skills. Surtr can be taken down with a bow by shooting from up the hill. Though, it doesn't work for its first form.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal