Author Topic: Can pure dex build be viable in AE?  (Read 11221 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
  • Mesh-Texturing Beautifier :)
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Can pure dex build be viable in AE?
« on: 18 March 2018, 06:23:41 »
The idea of going pure dex was always tempted me, but the only time i tried was with Illusionist in LoC. With all the pets i can't say if the build was good or not. Anyone tried this in vanilla? And what class did/would you choose?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Can pure dex build be viable in AE?
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2018, 07:11:54 »
for a petmaster maybe.. assassin's set requires dex then you can wear santa's shield and spear.. illusionist would still be a good choice.. but i don't know if that's what you mean.. i mean why would you go pure dex for a petmaster right? but heh i like this.. now I'm thinking crazy again >:D

edit: brigand.. then wear an elemental wraithlord's/allfather's ring for traps.. study prey to reduce elem resist.. then you help with bow or throwing weapon nah throwing knife.. SB cuffs too
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 07:23:22 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Tauceti

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2018, 11:21:54 »
interesting idea ! another option would be a trickster or dragonhunter, that is a dualwielding toon. Except santa's shield,  the 1st shields need a minimum of 380 force. Gear with reduction requirement would gimp your toon too much i guess. So i would give up the idea of a shield.

Rogue and rune masteries give you for example 88 str, leading you to 138 force. If you take end legendary gear like torso of loki, the requirement is only 186 fr (and 484 dex) , not difficult to achieve with some force on gear. Concerning weapons, runeword:feather may help you to find spear or  throwing weapons, throughout the leveling.

If you like the 0-death route (or the minimum deaths), a trickster would be imo safer, because traps would be like your shield. On the other hand a dragon hunter would be a high-dps toon if not a glass canon.
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 11:26:22 by Tauceti »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mvlad954

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2018, 14:41:37 »
Assuming you wish to spend all your attribute points on dexterity,heres a video on a build that does just this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxEe7phy1T4&index=4&list=PL1CjlfMJ5RE0s8dq6f_jznkHoAqnIORRa                                                                                                                         
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 14:44:24 by mvlad954 »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2018, 15:50:47 »
Nice video and ideas. Maybe Corsair will work too to lower your requrements? Asuming he will use knives for primary attack. No debuffs tho...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2018, 20:56:38 »
just saw the video.. i have first hand experience with an illusionist though and I've played around it with different playstyles (as I've done with most of my characters).. and i can say the best build is circled around traps and pets.. and going all dex on an illusionist is a nerf because your part in the action is mostly casting plague and staying alive.. you need high armor and some run and cast speed.. going all dex limits your item choices.. i went str/dex but i think going str/dex/int is ok too as long as you have good items stored already.. i play primarily xmax x3.. it's still on the 3rd town act 5 legendary because i have many characters i play also and my playing time has lessened these days

and nargil66, throwing knife is a debuff depending on your items and other skills.. i think i mentioned it in my rogue guide.. can provide slow, reduced resist, chance to fumble.. pairing throwing knife with mbuti's advocate makes it a debuff weapon for example
« Last Edit: 18 March 2018, 21:04:40 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline nargil66

• Forum Moderator
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 23 July 2018, 17:33:01 »
Ok, time to try the pure dex idea (in xmax :P). I think ima go brigand as botebote suggested. Damn, if only poison gas bomb could be reduced to 0 cooldown, i would go the dex caster route... its an old dream of mine. Shrapnel would really own... But now i guess i'll just use throwing knives.
Btw, I tried the pure Str ritualist, but cant say if it would of work on high lvls... got owned by 3x Polyphemus. I only play hardcore, so bye to the attempt.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline tholuneve

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2018, 05:37:02 »
OK so my bleeding+pierce Brigand completed Legendary A5 and it worked well. It was not a self-found toon but after some analysis I think it could be done with self-found (unlike my burning damage Magician which is almost impossible). The main problem with self-found is that you will be forced to invest more str instead of dex since you are not garanteed to find all good gears to reduce str requirement. That will reduce your damage since you lose dex, but I don't think the impact will be large enough so that you can't play this build.

Under construction
Spoiler for Hiden:
The idea of this build are driven by a simple question: how to fully utilize the bleeding damage multipliers from both Hunting and Rogue mastery? The "normal" Brigand build, regardless of weapon type, focus mainly on (converted) pierce damage. Spear, bow, thrown weapon, if you take a close look at the dps numbers and do some calculation, you will find that regardless of the stats on your weapon, bleeding damage is actually a neglectable part. Or in other words, if you take all bleeding damage out, Brigand will still be Brigand, still high dps, nothing changes. This is due to two major problems.
1. DoT stack. I assume you already know that.
2. What's the purpose to have additional DoT if I can kill the monste within 3 seconds?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline WNG

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: -4
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2018, 12:14:24 »
You can also go full dexterity with an Haruspex and stack incredible amounts of OA and DA. (5000+ ea.)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Vio

• aka Violos
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 24 July 2018, 23:37:27 »
The bigger issue with full Dex than armor is that you really need your damage to come from pierce/poison/bleeeding skills then. Because if based on weapons, you need a certain amount of Str-based physical damage to convert to piercing in the first place. For that I would go 2:1 Dex:Str at most.

And while the first option certainly works, it does make you a very specialized killer of living things.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal