Author Topic: I am hitting a wall on legendary Typhon - where to get resistance gear?  (Read 6718 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hansuswurstus

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Hey all,

I am at level 67/68 on my Conqueror and I beat the boss before you get to the Olymp because he somehow didn't really attack me. Typhon completely destroys me because my resistances are too low. How do I go on from here? I need to farm more gear with resistances, right? But where? Infrequents? Or should I just keep leveling in legendary and hope for legendaries? I don't want to use XMAX mod because I want to play the game as it was intended by the developers.

Thanks in advance!

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline soa

• Modder
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
Re: I am hitting a wall on legendary Typhon - where to get resistance gear?
« Reply #1 on: 15 December 2020, 22:23:06 »
« Last Rated on: 15 December 2020, 22:57:48 »
There's no real challenge in the game in general. Especially Typhon is one of the weakest bosses because he's extremely slow and predictable, plus you have shrines as if it wasn't enough. So if you have troubles, it's most likely resistances, bad items/build and/or the fact you don't know his mechanics.
The fight design is flawed, because you can just take a bow even if you're usually melee and shoot him from the ramp, then retreat, but it shouldn't be necessary.

You can post an image of your build, showing items+skills, but Conqueror is one of the easiest classes to build, so it's probably an equipment issue. The equipment needed depends on your current resistances. Infrequents are interesting because you can put relics on top of them to customize the way you like. Legendaries can work well too. Even yellows would do.
Level seems low too (should be around 71), but it may not be that big of a difference at this level.
Soulvizier for AE, Ragnarok and Atlantis [released] :
https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=1201.0  / Discord : https://discord.gg/qs9t6AA
Overhaul mod with many new monsters, skills, items, features, balance and bugfixes. Increased difficulty.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hansuswurstus

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Thanks for your reply. I have almost completely legendary items and my build is very similar to the conqueror guides. The problem is I am dealing tons of damage but I am too squishy. I think I'll try maxing vitality resistance so that he can't heal and then just attack him, get killed, run back, repeat until he's dead.

How do you get from -100% resistances to like 50% in legendary as a conqueror? It seems like legendary gear rarely gives resistance bonus.

Rated 3 times
Excellent

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 15 December 2020, 23:02:05 »
« Last Rated on: 21 April 2021, 04:48:02 »
without any images (yet), I'm making the assumption that the problem is vit res. you can indeed do the bow stairs trick but your going to need vit res eventually anyway. i prefer farming demons blood and killing him upfront since it's faster. where to farm demons blood? the fastest would be shadowmaw. very easy to farm demons blood there.
if you have low fire, lightning and vit, then there are serious problems with your character.

now can i get a little off-topic just so i can get this off my head. the game is flawed indeed. the resistances get very low you have to do some farming unless you are ok with dying several times. but the problem is the drop rate is too low of items is too low. what can you do to address this issue? twinking... but spend 500+ to thousands of hours into the game and you will see the problems with twinking
the other thing you can do other than twinking: the loot box or whatever it's called in Atlantis. but that too is flawed. what if the only weak item you have is boots for example? with loot box, any type of item can drop you don't even know if you will get a boots. it might be better checking the merchants for green boots and socketing with relic/charm.
sometimes i wish the game have chance to find magic items affix

sorry for the rant. i don't have problems with it. i just think there are ways the game could've been done better
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hansuswurstus

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
I have attached my stats. My gear is:

weapon: headhunters pride
helm: the pointed helmet (also have conquerors helmet)
shield: heras shield (also have eidolon)
armor: berserkers mantle
arms: conquerors bracers
trinket: pendant of immortal rage
legs: nebukadnezzars greaves
artifact: razor claw
rings: alke and timaios

my attribute points are 3:2 strength/dex

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
well... that's what happens if you don't believe in resistances
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hansuswurstus

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
well... that's what happens if you don't believe in resistances

I believe in them, my equipment doesn't  8)

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline lixiss

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #7 on: 16 December 2020, 23:13:00 »
« Last Rated on: 17 December 2020, 06:39:02 »
sorry for the rant. i don't have problems with it. i just think there are ways the game could've been done better

I'm should say what there is very valuable feedback for every modder of this game, which multiplied by your reputation of player who tried almost every build personally and can "spawn" (remember) (unique/legendary) items with required properties just from head (at least this sometimes looks like). :)

While Grim Dawn offer way more flexibility with items and their bonuses (one item + enchantments may offer so many bonuses what they naturally may not fit into some screen resolutions), all experienced users ends with exactly same problem, like you describe: they require specific components, and to get them - requires farming and lot of time for this. And farming trash mobs or bosses just for getting right item, item with right affixes or right component(s) - there is not the best way to take a fun of game, as there is worst way to spend time of our (real) life (which is pretty limited in fact).

Generally, "farming" is something what really-really bad in that sense. (In my taste: there is already known ways which are more than 20 y.o. and they still works perfectly: they are usually done by static item spawns and they often give characters indirect or not easily predictable effects: BG1/BG2/PoE1 - is good sample of this way, which works greatly).

Another thing in TQ vs Diablo1/2 - what last - way better scaled in complexity where standalone TQ offers nothing to this, and you easily get hard difficulty spikes even on normal game mode, or when you more prepared (know game better) - you receive just zero difficulty, and adding nor x2 nor x3 nor x10 nor x20 monsters doesn't help here: char get (AoE) powers defeat them, eventually constantly spawned as madness.

There is good indication of skill/or monster design imbalance. And there is no sense to complain about game complexity, when it is not balanced in first place: it not balanced at Normal, while at higher difficulties it is offer just increased flat/percentage bonuses to major monster stats (to be fair - there is exist additional spawns of monsters which doesn't appear in normal mode at all, but cases of this, I guess less than 10%).

Surely, this issue can't be resolved just by blind increasing chances to get better items, nor by allowing enchant every item, nor by allowing enchant every item two times (what i believe technically possible to make every affix enchantable 2 times), blind increasing moster "complexity" (which often done in by blind bonuses in health and/or percentage health grow).

How do it right? I has no answer. I'm last month heavily inspect this aspects in attempts to make mod (attempts to make changes which I never planned before to be fair, but found what I want work in other direction), but more deeper I look on weapon design, skill design, etc, the more i'm see what they designed as full bullshit. In fact - in game there is no weapon (common) which able to deal enough physical damage to breach monster armor without any physical bonuses. More over: most of weapons will not be able breach armor even when their requirements met (e.g. if we take into account minimum required character attribute bonuses). Some weapons type(s) has better chances to do it, like maces, but generally weapon design is what their values including stat bonuses LESS than armor of matched item level. And there is big issue (in my taste): weapons useless from start of game without skills/bonuses, and they not progress enough. (There is not only applicable to player, this fact is applicable for monsters too). And finally this ends to stupid monster design, which doesn't has natural power, instead they got passives to get +80% physical damage or +flat physical damage. I'm doesn't critique game design itself, there is good game for long years. I'm say, what in BG1 Battle Horror - is hard because it has right/correct capabilities, but it has no stupid buffs which appears from nothing to compensate *possible* player's powers. There is very different monster design, surely there is different rules. I'm seen enough, what TQ/GD rules is error. TQ way more balanced, in GD things really work when you can (and you can) stack lot of things together => there is one of possible way to go, but in TQ is still issue, because... probably there is no true monster scaling, absent other important things (as good example what there is no damage conversion skills dependent on weapon - instead skills designed to be mediocre between all difficulties, with taking priority on Legendary, while on Normal all of them just OP, and skill levels doesn't limited by PC level, like in Torchlight where there is no problem with skill design at all, except what natural their variety is way more limited).

Well: back to initially quoted text: there is not a rant: there is valuable feedback!

PS: For anyone - if you doesn't agree to me, doesn't see gaps in game design and just want blindly protect current game design - there is better to skip this action and save time. I'm doesn't critique design per se - there is just has some issues with them, there is exist engine limitations, which forces to use compromises rater than use other choices. Finally, there is easy to create fair game balance. There is exist only one problem with it: no one want play with fair balance. Want to start with 11 HP and get killed from 2 hits?
« Last Edit: 16 December 2020, 23:17:54 by lixiss »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline hansuswurstus

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
@lixiss I seriously think with your amount of dedication and knowledge you should join the team for TQ 2 or next addon. Are you already working in this field or this is just your hobby?

Rated 1 time
Excellent

Offline lixiss

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 17 December 2020, 11:23:31 »
« Last Rated on: 17 December 2020, 11:59:24 »
@lixiss I seriously think with your amount of dedication and knowledge you should join the team for TQ 2 or next addon. Are you already working in this field or this is just your hobby?

My hobbie and pet project related to TQ/GD modding. I'm developer but mine typical subject is not related to gaming at all.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline ALEX_CARDO

• View Profile
    • Awards
Hey all,

I am at level 67/68 on my Conqueror and I beat the boss before you get to the Olymp because he somehow didn't really attack me. Typhon completely destroys me because my resistances are too low. How do I go on from here? I need to farm more gear with resistances, right? But where? Infrequents? Or should I just keep leveling in legendary and hope for legendaries? I don't want to use XMAX mod because I want to play the game as it was intended by the developers.

Thanks in advance!
I've recently finished the game with my first and best so far hero - Conqueror 75lvl. You shouldn't have problems with Typhon. For bosses I use the combo Colossus form + Ancestral Horn + Battle Standard and usually they die quickly.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Ninakoru

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
To the topic creator: The problem is simple: Resistances.

90% of the unique/legendary items are a trap, offer juicy offensive bonuses that really don't affect your damage that much, and little resistances or none at all. Avoid at all costs, from skills and proper attribute placement, and a decent weapon you will be fine int hte damage department.

All your focus on gear aside from weapon should be mitigating resistances. You are being obliterated by typhoon due to the -100 VIT. And VIT is also very relevant later in ACT 4. An easy fix for that is to vendor farm for a hallowed helmet. Good rings to fill gaps with +60% one resist + str/life/DA. Put Demon blood on them.

Check out TQ DB to search for MIs with great resistance magnitude. Try to get one with a resistance prefix, and add even more resistances with charm/relics. If a legendary doesn't have about 120-150 magnitude in resistances rarely is worth equipping.

How do it right? I has no answer. I'm last month heavily inspect this aspects in attempts to make mod (attempts to make changes which I never planned before to be fair, but found what I want work in other direction), but more deeper I look on weapon design, skill design, etc, the more i'm see what they designed as full bullshit. In fact - in game there is no weapon (common) which able to deal enough physical damage to breach monster armor without any physical bonuses.

Yeah I agree, but with the AE patches based on a community patch, the game mostly "works" good enough. About the weapon damage, yeah the base damage is too low but if your class has some physical damage orientation, you will get OA and phys damage, or armo reduction, DA reduction from skills. Warfare is the best at it, the phys bonus from onslaught, and all the OA bonuses let you melt through armor depite the low base physical values on weapons, then thow in a battle standard and anihilate any opposition.

The mechanics engine is quite old, to me it stands quite well with all the AE balance for a 15? year old game. The mechanics in GD are infinitely more polished, the only problem there is the Physique dependency, due to the low damage scaling from the other stats.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal