Author Topic: Benefits of saving attribute points  (Read 5545 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Benefits of saving attribute points
« on: 30 April 2019, 13:02:51 »
Many people probably already know this but i just felt like writing something and quite frankly, i just don't know what to write and this is what came to mind. So here goes...

tldr: you can always benefit from saving your stat points
Yes, even if you think you already know where you want to spend your stat points on. Or even if you follow a strict ratio distribution like 2:1 str:dex or something like that.
You can always benefit from saving your stat points.

(side note: and this is one reason why i am against strict ratio distributions. they just make my character progressions slower)

case 1:
Let's say you have 400 str and 300 dex, and you found an item you want to equip but it requires 407 str. If you don't have unused stat points, you will have to wait to level up before you can equip that item. But if you have at least 2 unused stat points, you can equip that item right then and there.

case 2:
Let's still say you have 400 str and 300 dex. And again, you found an item that requires 407 str. But that item also have +8 to str. If you have 2 unused stat points, you can add those to str. Your str will be 408 + 8 from the item so 416. You can press undo and your str will still be 408, enough to equip that item and you also get back your 2 stat points

case 3:
For petmasters. Pure petmasters that is. I don't know about you guys but i always think petmasters should distribute their points just enough to equip items. And if you are not saving your stat points, you will always end up with stats way higher than what you need. I always think 400 int (or a little higher) is enough for these cases. If you end up with 500 int, that 100 int is now wasted. Yes i know there are 500 int pet staves but i still think you get more if you equip a one-handed weapon and a shield. Even if it's just a low quality green shield, more often times than not, 2 items beat 1 item. You can always get pet bonuses from jewelries.

case 4:
changing your items for specific bosses. Let's say you want to fight toxeus head on and your damage is very high already. Instead of swapping your weapon for a lower DPS one, it is better to equip %less damage from undead. If you are changing items, there is a chance you will want to equip items you haven't met the requirements for. Back to case 1 and case 2.

case 5:
Hybr... Ah let's not get there. lolz. But a 1:1:1 strict ratio distribution without even saving stat points is an almost guarantee for a poorly built hybrid
« Last Edit: 30 April 2019, 13:26:41 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Benefits of saving attribute points
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2019, 14:11:24 »
I think it's worth adding, for characters who are very tight on attributes or don't benefit from excessive stats:

- take into consideration attributes from quests, latest being the stygian lurker in act 4 i think
- possibly upgrading one of your items and getting attribute points / -req, very common one

My solution is to keep an item with -req until you are certain you've got the right gear picked and be aware of possible changes you could make
Worst case there's the respec tool. For the big oofs

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2019, 14:40:44 »
Think it's personal preference really.  I've never saved attribute points, not even when I was learning the game.  Maybe keep 5-6 in reserve, but I've seen people with 15-20 and to me that's just crazy.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2019, 16:52:56 »
@Torstein159 what was it you said before? great minds think alike?  ;)

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=903.msg10452#msg10452

it was only in TQAE that i finally learned.. these days I'm too lazy to farm and i have many items already so i twink all my characters.. i once thought that if you want to play a hybrid, you have to plan the items you will wear even before you create the character.. but from experience, my planned gear combination don't always end up that way.. and in this game, just 1 gear change can mean 2 to 3 gear changes.. so I've developed my rule that on epic, i wear requirement reduction items before i spend my stats

in my case, i don't feel comfortable entering legendary if i don't have at least 40 unused stat points.. but only for hybrid stat toons
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Torstein159

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 30 April 2019, 17:02:18 »
@botebote77
I often change my mind with the gear so its a must. Sometimes i start a char (accomplished) and gear up for normal/epic without spending a single attribute lol. The same +exp/-req gear. Like a sweet timaios with -req upgrade, -req valkyrie boots, rings of the rhine etc etc

I said "great minds" indeed, but i wouldn't dare call myself that in any other context x)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 30 April 2019, 20:18:55 »
1:1:1 strict ratio distribution without even saving stat points

Hey, thanks for this.
Now I know, how I will play next character, when THQ Nordic gave us this new patch.

How is that possible, that I've never played that way before?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: 30 April 2019, 23:00:19 »
1:1:1 strict ratio distribution without even saving stat points

Hey, thanks for this.
Now I know, how I will play next character, when THQ Nordic gave us this new patch.

How is that possible, that I've never played that way before?
i don't get this.. is this a "lol who in their right mind would do this?" joke?
or a "I'll do exactly like this and prove you wrong HAH"? in which case i don't mind.. but why would you feel the need to prove me wrong?
or is this a "I'll test the very limits of this new patch" whim?
or maybe "I've done everything i can think of in this game except this, so why not?" whim?
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Cygi

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2019, 08:47:09 »
or maybe "I've done everything i can think of in this game except this, so why not?" whim?

This.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal