Author Topic: Trickster, Transmutation, and stats  (Read 13513 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Trickster, Transmutation, and stats
« on: 31 January 2018, 01:09:59 »
So I am a level 24 Rogue right now still in act 1 of Normal, and I am trying to pick another mastery. I want to make a character who uses throwing weapons (like throwing knives), perhaps even dual throwing knives. I like poison and bleed, but have read that many creatures have resists to these, so I wanted to throw in some elemental damage. I have currently been looking at the Rune mastery, and think it will make an interesting hybrid with my Rogue. However, after much reading, I am still confused about what to put my stat points into (have like 20 saved up). I know I want dex for the increase in poison and bleeding, but I am unsure if I then want strength, or intelligence. I'm guessing that the answer to that will depend on if I am using transmutation or not... but I am still a bit fuzzy on the details of how that all works. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Pazuzu

• The Omnipotent
  • Forum Moderator
  • Keel
    • View Profile
    • Awards
Re: Trickster, Transmutation, and stats
« Reply #1 on: 31 January 2018, 01:28:12 »
Well if you go for elemental damage INT will help. Strength should be used only for gear requirements especially in characters that do not rely on strength for damage.
Corsair Carbide Air 540 - Asus Maximus VI Hero - Pentium G3258 5Ghz - Thermalright TS 140 Power - Samsung EVO 850 250GB - Corsair Dual Airflow Fan - Corsair Vengeance 8gb - Nvidia GTX 750Ti.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #2 on: 31 January 2018, 07:48:57 »
Reckless Offense in Rune will allow dual wield of throwing weapons.  And Runeword: Feather will help reduce the strength requirements for weapons and shields.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2018, 14:35:07 »
So I got that rune has dual wielding (which is one reason I like it) and the ability to lower strength requirements. I also know that int Increases elemental damage. What I am unclear on is what would be the best stat focus for a throwing weapon build.... Dex and str without transmutation, dex and int with transmutation, or all three with just Some levels of transmutation for a mix of damage, if that's possible...?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Firebrand

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: 31 January 2018, 16:14:21 »
It's a bit tricky, because elemental conversion competes with pierce conversion.

Elemental conversion happens before pierce conversion, so if you invest a lot of skill points into Transmutation, you'll get less damage return on your dexterity; it'll still boost your bleeding and poison damages, of course, but there'll be less pierce damage for it to increase. If you don't put a lot of points into Transmutation, then it's almost not worth putting any points into intelligence at all. In this case you'll probably want to use Calculated Strike over Runic Weapon anyway, so there'd be virtually no benefit to intelligence.

There comes the issue that for Transmutation to work, you will need to use Rune Weapon, which competes against Calculated Strike for your left mouse button. I figure it's possible to use both, but that sounds a bit convoluted to me, personally. Up to you.

Personally I think that going for Trickster should be fine even if you don't go for the elemental damage. If you want to dual-wield throwing weapons, Assassin is the other choice. Warfare does offer some nice things to you, such as some crowd control in the form of War Horn, Ancestral Horn for nice summonables, Battle Standard, and of course Weapon Training. On the other hand, here's why I think I'd go with Rune anyway:
- Reckless Offense is easily better than Dual Wield, no matter the circumstances.
- Thunder Strike, especially with two throwing weapons equipped, is an absolute blast, and Warfare offers no similar substitute.
- In a similar vein, I'll recommend in advance to put a single point in Seal of Fate and to (eventually) max Aftershock. The resistance reduction the skill offers is brutal, and, yet again, something Warfare doesn't offer. It shouldn't matter too much against regular enemies, but bosses will go down like nothing. Might be useful against the undead, too, to reduce their pierce resistance.
- Runeword: Explode is a passive attack trigger that works with throwing weapons, and gives you a good source of area-of-effect damage (everything from the attack is also applied to the other enemies hit by it, including poison and bleeding!), and gives some good basic physical and fire (and with the upgrade, burn) damage to deal with pesky undead who'll resist your poison and bleeding damage.
- Sacred Rage is arguably better than Battle Rage for throwers.
- While Guardian Stones are stationary, they're excellent at drawing the attention of enemies (even bosses), and actually dish some good damage out.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: 31 January 2018, 17:29:38 »
Firebrand, thanks for all the great info (i was especially curious about how rune weapon explode worked, what damage got spread, etc). I completely agree with you about going for rune over warfare, for all the reasons you listed. So I guess it comes down which to use: calculated strike  or rune weapon. Which is better? If going with caculated strike, then you would suggest putting points in dex and str, right? And if going for rune weapon, then you recommend going for dex and int? And would there be a third option of going for rune weapon without transmutation? Would the benefits of those first three skills outweigh calculated strike? And if so, you would do dex and str still or a mix of dex, str and int, as int would boost some of the other elemental skills?

Thanks again for the input. Sorry for all the questions, but I like thoroughly researching my builds before I invest in them, especially in the things you can't change (stat points).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
« Reply #6 on: 31 January 2018, 19:56:55 »
is it ok if i finally put my 2 cents here? i wasn't commenting because i thought that you were decided on rune.. but since you're considering warfare, i figure i'd butt in.. rune is better than warfare maybe if you're strictly for throwing weapons.. but if you're considering other skills warfare could be better than rune mainly because of battle standard and traps.. it would require some farming because you need 70%+ CDR but that is damn strong and you could also mix throwing weapons

now if you're considering using other skills to support throwing weapons, there are other masteries (i think all except defense because shield attack procs doesn't work with throwing weapons).. i mean look at hunting for example, you could go the old bow brigand build just substitute throwing for bow.. and blade honing works for throwing whereas it doesn't for bow.. you have study prey so you could go the piercing way which you said you wanted.. traps are also pets in AE so they benefit from AotH and CotH

now since you have lots of unspent stat points (good thing), you are open to more builds like throwing knives.. here is how my throwing knife caster work

Spoiler for Hiden:

or you could use knives to just spread confusion and/or RR.. then kill with other skills like throwing.. or go melee so you could finally mix defense.. being tanky with traps and confusion.. but that is not what you want i think
« Last Edit: 31 January 2018, 20:29:47 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: 31 January 2018, 21:34:33 »
I was waiting for you to chime in bote... Believe it or not I have been doing a ton of research on this... And everywhere I go - steam forums, reddit, random threads - you are on there giving information. I thought to myself, "this guy is bound to show up and give his advice", which I appreciate, because you clearly know a lot about this stuff. I do like your caster build, and have read through it several times via links from other sites. I do want to use  those knives too, but wanted some actual weapons  to compliment.

As far as warfare goes, the skills in rune just seem to appeal to me more, for all the reasons firebrand said. I considered hunting, but  seemed like just more bleed and pierce, which I have read can be ineffective against certain enemies. And with it just being mainly buffs and not many unique abilities, it felt boring. Hence  I am strongly leaning towards rune.

But I can't seem to get my head around this one aspect of the build (calc strike vs rune weapon, stat distribution). In fact, I read a post of yours on Reddit where you said

"experiment on CS and rune weapon.. CS deals good damage and penetrates enemies every 4th hit.. rune weapon has %int and % total damage so it also boosts thunder strike and runeword explode more.. "

So what would be your view of these? And out of the stat options in that thread you listed, what do you think would work best (be most effective)?

And also, for "total damage" modifier, does that mean that if I have a knife with 20 physical, 20 poison, and 20 bleed, that with a "+100% total damage" modifier (like in reckless offense) that  would then do 40 physical, 40 posion, and 40 bleed?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2018, 21:57:47 »
Bote, you once wrote:

"str/dex - good phys/pierce damage.. it's also easy to get high +%pierce damage, Apollo's will for example gives +100%pierce.. dex also boosts poison and bleed

hybrid (concentrating on all three) - this could be cool but hybrids are not easy for beginners.. so this depends on your experience in the game

pure int - good elem damage but having RR is always advisable in legendary.. you might be a glass cannon and you lose the benefits of lethal strike and blade honing.. having dex won't increase pierce because you likely will aim for 99% elem conversion"

Can you give me some more thoughts on these? Which do you think best, and why. How would the hybrid work?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2018, 11:50:15 »
lulz.. i don't post in steam though

so it's strictly rune and it's strictly throwing weapon.. sadly dude that's all i can give you because i think it's a toss up.. i wouldn't advise you to go hybrid though.. it's possible that you deal better single target damage with int based but there's no denying you're much tankier with str based gear.. if you can spam thunder strike, that could be your survival.. pair that with 1/max/1/max envenom weapon.. but you'll need to farm for recharge gear for that.. it's probably easier to get recharge with int but you can also get that with str gear

for a safer route, you can follow medea's trickster thread.. that's mixed throwing weapon and throwing knife.. int based.. you'll also need some farming but those items are not hard to farm.. so yeah whether you want throwing knife (skill) or not.. i guess int based is the safer route. that is assuming (1) you don't have uber rare items in your tqvault yet and (2) you haven't spent too many stat points yet

for total damage, yeah that's right but pierce conversion doesn't mix well with transmutation.. for reasons firebrand said above
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2018, 12:59:08 »
CircularReason, you'll find my Trickster journal here:

https://titanquestfans.net/index.php?topic=143.new#new

I'm a bit like you, not entirely sure where the attribute points should go.  I'm feeling my way as I go along. 

Why are you still in Act 1 Normal?  You should be well into Act 2 by that level. Are you re-running areas?  If so, for what purpose?  Or are you playing a mod like Xmax that increases foe numbers?

Not Yet Rated!

Offline CircularReason

• Beginner
  • Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2018, 18:20:13 »
Just read through medeas' journal. That is the kind of trickster I want to build: a mix of throwing weapons and throwing knife skill, preferably with reckless offense, and also with thunderstorms. So it seems like you (medeas) are mixing the points as you go. You did take transmutation though. So I am assuming you would recommend that. Here is a question: transmutation only works when using the rune weapon skill, right? So could you use that for those creatures with resistance  pierce, and then calc strike for those without? Or are you doing the same idea but using the wing knife skill instead. Alas, that still leaves the issue of what to invest in, str or int.

As far as my level vs where I am at, yeah, I have been taking my time, farming some areas. Got the SB cuffs that bote recommended. Just started act 2 at level 25.  Spent only a few stat points, mainly in dex, cause I was originally  basing things on Bote's house of flying daggers build.

Just so you know guys, I am a complete noon at this game. This is actually my first time playing it. You all are experts, have multiple characters and playthroughs, hence why I am seeking to learn from your experience. I just happen to like theorycrafting in my first time through a game.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2018, 19:59:56 »
Well, since Rune is new we're all sort of theorycrafting with it.  I haven't gotten up to the transmutation synergy of Rune Weapon yet, but I plan to take it.  Not using Thunderstrike.  Since targetting is difficult in TQ unless skills are on the LMB and RMB I don't have anywhere to put it.  Throwing Knife is on the RMB with Rune Weapon on the LMB, Runic Mines and Envenom Weapons on hotkeys.  Did try Seal of Fate for a bit, but couldn't target it properly so bought the points back.

Build is pretty simple

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titancalc-anniversary-edition/TitanCalc41c841c8rune6c4e.html?mastery=Trickster&master1=10&master2=6&sa=30&m1=32-10-6-0-16-0-0-10-0-10-0-0-10-10-0-12-0-8-6-8-0&m2=32-0-0-12-12-1-8-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-8-0-0-6-0

It's L67 and I usually finished the base game at L60-61 on a straight playthrough so added a few more levels for the expansion, but it could end up being higher than that - not played it all the way through yet.  I may also put some points into Blade Honing and maybe Anatomy.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2018, 21:45:58 »
hmm i see you got str medea.. it could work with flat physical not from weapon like rage of ares and pendant of immortal rage.. but frankly, i still like going int and using eitr and primal magma/cold essence.. you'll have lots of CC anyway and rune weapon boosts them

circular yeah there's nothing like feeling out a game in your first playthrough.. as i said above, i like int build more.. those monster charms i mentioned, they only drop in act 5 but it's easy to farm for them. definitely get anatomy and 1pt in blade honing.. the 3rd upgrade of rune weapon, i would leave at 1pt.. at higher levels it boosts only slow and reduced offensive ability.. but it's a poor form of CC because rune weapon is single target only.. nightshade and mandrake through throwing knives is enough CC.. get life steal not from a weapon.. i didn't say it in my guide but i showed the pic of elemental rage (which is the artifact i would recommend).. but you don't need life steal early game.. when you farmed for SB cuffs, did you also get sthenos wisdom? that's what I'm wearing because it has physical res and casting speed.. it's also green so it's socketable

thunder strike hmm you can still get it by equipping also dual throwing in secondary and binding thunder strike in that RMB.. but when you can spam knives, i don't know if thunder strike is necessary
« Last Edit: 01 February 2018, 22:55:40 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2018, 22:05:53 »
As I said in my journal I've been putting points pretty evenly since I don't know what gear I may find that suits this particular build.  I'll need 170 str for the Legendary SBCs (Stonebinder's Cuffs abbreviation CircularReason) and a whopping 425 dex.  But I've also dug out of the Vault some Veteran's Axes of Trickery which need over 500 str so may need to equip one or possibly two Hale or Plato rings depending on what I'm short of.  :-\

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal