Author Topic: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)  (Read 96057 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone:  0
Re: Returning to TQ (+Ragnarok)
« Reply #60 on: 20 April 2018, 17:22:19 »
I don't keep them, I remove them and try something else if I'm basically beating against a brick wall with no progress.
I'll do it for this next one though.

Now that I know a ranged caster type with summons is probably what I want to do, I won't have to keep swapping and stuff.
Once I definately know what I'm doing, I'll make a start and never stop with that build.
« Last Edit: 20 April 2018, 20:53:00 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: 21 April 2018, 12:43:37 »
Hmm.....Ritualist (Nature+Dream) or Prophet (Dream+Storm)

Ritualist has more summons, Prophet would have a good aoe (especially against ranged)...

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Medea Fleecestealer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +1
« Reply #62 on: 21 April 2018, 13:38:06 »
Not getting into Epic or Legendary isn't unusual for me.  I try out so many different builds very few of mine ever make it into the latter difficulties.

What you could do is post your builds using the TitanCalcAE so we can see where you're putting points and possibly make suggestions to improve them.

https://www.kirmiziperfect.com/titan-quest-anniversary-edition-calculator/

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: 21 April 2018, 13:44:00 »
Yeah like I said, I don't actually have one right now so I can't do that, but I can when I start a new one if I run into problems.
Dunno why I never thought of doing things that way though, thanks.

I think what's best is if I get an easy build or something.
Which mastery combo is an easy mage/caster build to do.....
I'm aware a lot of people swear by Dream+anything.

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: 21 April 2018, 14:06:42 »
Dream can be good, but I find it's AoE spells a bit limiting since they only go a certain distance and can't be cast through walls, etc.  I'd go for Storm for Squall and Lightning Bolt since both can be used that way.  That said, an Haruspex (Hunting/Dream) can be very strong if you want a ranged bow using toon. With both Trance of Convalescence and Herbal Remedy you get plenty of health and energy regn, Nightmare's Hypnotic Gaze to confuse enemies, etc.  If you don't mind playing with pets then a Druid (Storm/Nature) could be good.  Max wolves straight away and they'll get you though most of Acts 1 and 2 without too many problems.  Throw in the Nympth and Wisp and you've a good team working for you while you cast Squall, Lightning Bolt or Plague from afar.  Set them to aggressive (right click on their icons and choose that) and watch them go to work.   A Sage (Hunting/Storm) might be another good choice, or if you want a melee then try a Paladin (Defense/Storm) or Juggernaut (Defense/Earth).

The main thing to bear in mind is not to max out skills eary.  Very few of TQ's skills need to be maxed: Onslaught, Wolves (if playing a petmancer), Squall are pretty much the only ones you need to max right off.  Otherwise you're better climbing the masteries and putting just a point into each skill you want to use since the masteries themselves help you with str/int/dex, health and energy increases helping you stay alive.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: 21 April 2018, 14:10:48 »
Yeah I know about not maxing skills straight off, I pretty much always just put a point into skills I'm going to use and focus on maxing the masteries first.
Druid might be good. I want to use summons and aoes are always a good thing. Now to find a build.

Edit: I'll use Tyr's wanderer guide to figure this all out.

What is best for pet gear? (health+armour, elemental damage, etc)
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 15:32:26 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +3
« Reply #66 on: 21 April 2018, 16:27:36 »
Pet gear? Two rings and necklace with pet damage, staff with pet damage. Update them as soon as you can. You start with beastcaller's (tier 1, level 3), then spiritcaller's (tier 2, level 14), summoner's (tier 3, level 28) etc up to the new tier 6 and 7. Somehow tier 3 pet jewellery is never in normal shops, though it drops in act 4. But you can always start one of your old characters and buy some in early epic, especially since you say the game is hard for you. Oh, wait, you don't have any. Well, don't know why would you shoot yourself in the leg like that.

For a druid that damage should be elemental because wisp can buff it and does some itself, while you can debuff it with plague and squall. Spirit class can use vitality because it can debuff it with deathchill. All the rest use physical. Wolves strength of the pack skill buff physical and plague debuffs physical, so its the safest choice overall. It does not matter in early game though, in normal Greece just use what you can, then start specializing once you get access to tier 2 and higher.

In TQAER some artifacts and other items got pet stats too, try to get yourself razor claw for normal/epic.

Summoners do not need any damage except this pet damage, so fill the rest with all the resistances you can get, and maybe some hp. If one of your masteries is nature, try to get -40% recharge for briar ward. Briar ward will solve 3/4 of your survivability issues and help your pets too. Thats in epic and later, don't bother with -recharge in normal, its scarce there. If you heal alot and also cast spells you will appreciate reduced mana cost, though its not always easy to get outside jewellery (and your jewellery is reserved for pet stats).

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: 21 April 2018, 17:08:04 »
But you can always start one of your old characters and buy some in early epic, especially since you say the game is hard for you. Oh, wait, you don't have any. Well, don't know why would you shoot yourself in the leg like that.

I've never made it into early Epic so this wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: 21 April 2018, 17:17:31 »
Wasn't there at least one brigand? I almost forgot about defensive ability, be sure to get some too.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: 21 April 2018, 19:03:02 »
Oh yeah, I just barely got into Epic on a Brigand way back before I got the Steam version.
and that was mostly due to cheesing everything with kiting with passives like scatter shot, no skills or anything. Just dodge, fire, dodge, fire.
I'd imagine actually doing Epic (and Legendary) like that wouldn't work though.

Well with AE, I have no idea if I will or not because every enemy appears to have been buffed to hell and back.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: 21 April 2018, 21:28:53 »
Ok I've started my Wanderer and so far so good.
already 4 points into the wolf and I even found a mastery stone early so a much stronger summon until I quit the game.
and a point into plague too and a point into maul.

When I can't put a point into a skill, I'll put two points into the mastery and a point into the wolf until it hits level 7.
Upon getting to level 8, I'll unlock Storm and try and get to Squall and max it.

I might get the Nymph when possible, I like have lots of summons just running around and destroying everything.

I know it's just early days with this one but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. I can respec later but it's expensive.

What you could do is post your builds using the TitanCalcAE so we can see where you're putting points and possibly make suggestions to improve them.

The trouble is trying to remember where I put the points before quitting and sticking them into TitanCalc.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2018, 21:31:14 by Deepblue »

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: 21 April 2018, 21:50:41 »
Try and max wolves asap because then when you get a mastery shrine you'll be able to call up a third wolf which increases their damage.  :)  Will stay summoned until a wolf dies or you finish a play session.  Also as a caster look for staves and necklaces that give +1/+2 to Nature to be able to have a third wolf out all the time and also other items which give +1/+2 to all skills.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Deepblue

• Topic Author
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: 21 April 2018, 22:21:12 »
Yeah I remember that.
The first actual boss, that centaur gave me a bit of trouble though.
The wolves don't hold aggro for very long so I ended up taking a lot of damage from all the centaurs chasing me meaning that the wolves also could barely hit the moving targets.

Also before that, when I only had 5 points in (so no 2nd wolf), the summon died to a huge pile of undead it decided to aggro...

Not Yet Rated!

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: 21 April 2018, 22:36:51 »
Keep well back and let wolves do the work.  If you cast a spell before they engage the enemy they'll switch their focus to you and come after you.  Only cast after wolves/pets have already started their attacks.  And if you get chased, run around in a circle.  That way pets can catch up and attack.

Not Yet Rated!

Offline mammoth_hunter

• View Profile
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: 21 April 2018, 22:38:10 »
Summoner starts very slow. If someone thinks starting as melee is slow and painful they shouldn't try summoners. It catches up later, but in Greece boss fights are looong and drawn out. Buy a few scrolls for bosses, storm witches do fine. Megalesios is the biggest bastard, not just because he converts summons, his limos will heal him. Assign a hotkey to "select all summons" in the menu if you didn't already, to order pets to attack limos instead. There are 1001 other situations where this hotkey will help too.

Yeti health buff seems to help, they aren't exactly tanks but at least late normal aoe does not oneshot them and I can heal them out. Moment of truth will be past tower of judgement I guess.

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal