Author Topic: What comes first? Block or CTAP ?  (Read 2693 times)

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lanceor

• Topic Author
  • This space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +11
What comes first? Block or CTAP ?
« on: 24 October 2019, 10:14:34 »
Just wondering in what order the game checks Blocking and Chance to Avoid Projectiles.

Does it calculate if the shield mitigates some or all the damage first before checking if the projectile is avoided? Or does it do the block calculation only for projectiles that make it past CTAP?

Likewise, do Block and Chance to Dodge attacks follow the same rule?
Trying to build immortal/OP/imba characters since 2007!

Not Yet Rated!

Offline botebote77

• mage boy
  • TQ Titans
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: ?
Re: What comes first? Block or CTAP ?
« Reply #1 on: 24 October 2019, 23:34:03 »
greetings Lanceor, I'm not 100% sure but judging from this:

4) Useful notes.
If you have a 'chance to dodge', it is checked separately before OA-DA check, so if dodge had been successful, the entire OA-DA mechanics are skipped for the hit in question.
Important note - OA-DA mechanics come into play only if you was hit by melee attack. High DA won't prevent you from becoming a pin cushion.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=148217054

I'm thinking chance to avoid projectiles is just the projectile version of chance to dodge attacks.. so the shield block recharge time shouldn't reset if the dodge procs

anyways, if dodge procs there is nothing to block
« Last Edit: 24 October 2019, 23:39:05 by botebote77 »
i are TQ titans
i are many people

Not Yet Rated!

Offline Lanceor

• Topic Author
  • This space for rent
    • View Profile
    • Awards
  • Time Zone: +11
Re: What comes first? Block or CTAP ?
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2019, 05:14:21 »
I'm thinking chance to avoid projectiles is just the projectile version of chance to dodge attacks.. so the shield block recharge time shouldn't reset if the dodge procs

anyways, if dodge procs there is nothing to block

I think that makes sense - it would be silly calculate all sorts of damage reduction (armor, block) and then roll to see if the attack misses completely.

I tried a test by parking my Warden in front of a bunch of 10 archers - each archer was firing around 1 arrow per second, meaning that the Warden was being hit by about 10 arrows per second.

The Warden's stats are as follows:
  • 80% CTAP (capped)
  • 100% Block Chance (I know it may vary with Dex, but it's pretty darn high in any event)
  • 2.55 seconds Block Recovery without Quick Recovery (QR)
  • 0.3 seconds Block Recovery with Quick Recovery (QR)

So here's my theory and calculations:

If Block is checked before CTAP...
  • Shieldless: 20% of arrows will bypass CTAP and hit the Warden. i.e. about 2 arrows a second.
  • Shield without Quick Recovery: One arrow will be blocked every 2.55 seconds (average 0.39 arrows per second). 20% of the unblocked ones will evade CTAP and cause damage. This works out to around 1.92 arrows hitting per second.
  • Shield with Quick Recovery: One arrow will be blocked every 0.3 seconds (average 3.33 arrows per second). 20% of the unblocked ones will evade CTAP and cause damage. This works out to around 1.33 arrows hitting per second.
In other words, if Block is checked before CTAP, the character should take slightly less damage when using a shield, and around 2/3 damage when using a Shield + Quick Recovery.

But if CTAP is checked before Block...
  • Shieldless: 20% of arrows will bypass CTAP and hit the Warden. i.e. about 2 arrows a second (same as before).
  • Shield without Quick Recovery: 20% of arrows will evade CTAP, leaving around 2 arrows per second hitting. One arrow will be blocked every 2.55 seconds (average 0.39 arrows per second). This works out to around 1.61 arrows hitting per second.
  • Shield with Quick Recovery: 20% of arrows will evade CTAP, leaving around 2 arrows per second hitting. One arrow will be blocked every 0.3 seconds (average 3.33 arrows per second). This means that no arrows should hit the Warden, unless two arrows bypass CTAP within 0.3 seconds of each other.
In other words, if CTAP is checked before Block, the character should take somewhat less damage when using a shield, and almost zero damage when using a Shield + Quick Recovery.

Test Results

• Shieldless: The Warden was taking continuous damage.
  • Shield without Quick Recovery: The Warden was still taking continuous damage, but at a lower rate.
  • Shield witht Quick Recovery: The Warden was only taking occasional damage (once every few seconds).

My tests show that CTAP does seem to be checked before Block.

I'm not sure how accurate this test is, and my calculations used guestimates for its projections, so I welcome suggestions on a more accurate way to test this theory. :)
Trying to build immortal/OP/imba characters since 2007!

Tags:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal